Scotland whistle music shops

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BKslo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been reading posts on your forum for quite a while now, earching information on whistles. I need an advice I am sure someone from the forum will be happy to give. I am traveling to Scotland and would like to know if there are any particular music shops where I could try several tinwhistles from different makers.

Oh and don't mind the email. I have two adresses, this one I use for websites and forums.

Thank you,
Bostjan Kokot from Slovenia

Scotland whistle music shops

Post by BKslo »

Hi all,

I've been a fan of this forum for few years now, since I've found numerous information
on whistle searching directly from google. Sadly I couldn't find anything relating music
shops in Scotland. Also great uncle google cloudn't quite help me, so I plead the
community for help.

I am traveling Scotland for two weeks since Friday and would like to take this oppurtunity
for trying some new whistles not accesible in Slovenia. Problem is I couldn't find any shops
beside Scotts Highland Servies Ltd., whihc only offers Susato as a middle price range. I
tried to find few makers to see if they have their own shops or workshops which I could
visit but was only successful with finding maker of Alba whistles.

Could anyone recommend any shops in Scotland who sell mid-range whistles from variety of
makers, where I could try the whistles? If they don't exsist I would satisfy with shops who sell
thevariety of the best from the cheapest whistles (in the range of Clark's the Original), which
are often prefered by a lot of professional musicians.

Reason for all that is thatI rather don't buy something I didn't play or at least
hear how it sounds live. Anyway I would like to plan a part of my trip around Scotland
with trying new whistles in mind.

I thank anyone willing to help:)

Bostjan
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Scotland whistle music shops

Post by Mikethebook »

To begin with Scotland's a large country. Can you more specific about the area you intend to visit? I assume also that you are after a high whistle rather than a low. Googling "folk instruments" and the name of a city is helpful. For example, I found Scayles Music in Edinburgh who stock the likes of Dixon and Shaw whistles, as well as Susato, Generation and Clarke. You could also try that search for Glasgow and Aberdeen. I personally know of The Music Shop in Inverness which has a large selection of whistles including Chieftain, Tony Dixon, Feadog, Shaw and Susato.

If you want to seek out whistle makers, you've already discovered Alba but Hans Bracker (http://bracker.co/music/Main/Home-Page.html) would be worth a visit. He lives east of Inverness.

Hope this helps.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

C and C music in Glasgow has some dixons, and shaws, Clarkes.
I stopped in a pipe shop in Edinburgh that stocked the tapered low D Dixon.
And Scayles as has been mentioned.
BKslo
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been reading posts on your forum for quite a while now, earching information on whistles. I need an advice I am sure someone from the forum will be happy to give. I am traveling to Scotland and would like to know if there are any particular music shops where I could try several tinwhistles from different makers.

Oh and don't mind the email. I have two adresses, this one I use for websites and forums.

Thank you,

Post by BKslo »

Thank you both for quick reply. I am happy to hear Aberdeen and Inverness hold some suitable music shops, Inverness for now seems to be the best option as far as variety is concerned.

Scotland is definitely big so I'll briefly explain the plan so far. I'll start my trip in Edzel little bit of Montrose. Maybe Aberdeen will be a first stop for a day or two for a bit of rest after the conference, since it is close. Generally I am there for a bit of hiking, so I'll probably spend some time in Highlands. My girlfriend wishes to go for one beatufil beach (her only wish), so that wish has to be met:) I'm flying back to Europe from Edinburgh. And that is as far as planning goes. As you can see the planning is very flexible and can be built around the best option for me (or the best two).

Thanks for the point about what kind of whistle I'm searching for. I'm looking to try few high whistles if possible since only Clarke and some Dixons (from latley) are available where I live, but the sound of low D (or smt. low and beautiful) is something I yearn for. I've heard how MK Kelpie sounds since my friend bought it and I quite liked its sound and would like to hear how some other low D's sound. I personally prefer less whiff:) I am considering fulte made of metal since I am no really a big fan of plastic (but Susato on some recordings I've found has remarkably nice sound). I have a wooden D pennywhistle (USA made, Erik the Flutemaker) which I really like but cannot really take with me one trips as such due to humidity issues related to wood. So to sum up:

- I would like to try high whistles, maybe buy cheaper D for travels
- I would like to try low whistles and definitly buy if I liked the sound, since I really like the sound of low whistles. Probably something for no more than 100-150 £ (can be strecth a bit if I really like the whistle, but girlfriend probably won't like it).

Bostjan
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I can't remember the name of the shop, it might have been mentioned above, that I visited in Glasgow, near the St George's Cross underground station.

The fellow there was very nice. They had a good selection of whistles.

I just googled "folk music shops" in Glasgow, brought up the map, and no shop showed at St George's Cross. I was there in 2007, perhaps the shop is gone, too bad.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

If you like a low whistle with less "whiff" than the MK you might like Hans Bracker's whistles. I'm presuming you're renting a car so a trip to Inverness and to his workshop - give him warning - might be worthwhile.
BKslo

Thank you,

Post by BKslo »

Thanks for advice, I'll think about contacting Mr. Bracker. I'll be maybe renting a car for a few days, means of transport in general will probably be public, backpacker style.
I reread my prevoius post. I like the whistles with less whiff in general not MK in particular. MK is ok, as far as whiff goes :)
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

I remember that the music shop in Oban, on the main square had some whistles, but didn't pay that much attention as I was shopping for CDs at the time.

You could probably email them before you go all the way out there. They even have a web cam so you can see just how badly it's pissing rain before you go... :poke:

Some nice beaches in the area too!

JD
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Hi Richard,
The shop near St. George's Cross is gone, I was thinking of it when I was there today. I visited it on my first trip here for my sister in law's wedding and bought a Shaw E. I can't recall the name offhand. It's been gone at least 7-8 years?
My best finds have been in charity shops in Glasgow, but I go in every one I come across and I'm out there a lot. Though I do recall about ten or twelve years ago maybe more a Pratten flute was unearthed at the Barras.
The same seller promised me he'd bring a box of old instruments including "chanters, piccolos, flutes."
I went every Saturday for about a year. He always said come back next week.
There is another junk shop I know that does house clearances. It looks like the place you find good stuff. I always asked the guy if he had any flutes , whistles etc.
One day my wife came home with a box of old whistles 4 Generations c f g Bb, a
Feadan, a whistle labelled James Galway, she had asked the guy and he rummaged around till he found them. Said they'd been there years. He never could be bothered when I asked.
Fair enough I suppose.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Hi Bostjan - if you are in Edzell, head north to Stonehaven, less than 20 miles, and go to "Celtic Chords" - "Google" it. Peter has a fair selection of whistles. Don't bother looking for whistles in Aberdeen - with the demise of the much missed "Bruce Miller's" independent music shop, it's hard enough to find a "Generation" whistle, let alone anything more "exotic". Hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland.
A' the best, Kenny
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

There are two music shops in Inverness. They are very close together.
At least one of the shops doesn't allow you to blow the whistles for health and safety reasons.
I guess things like cold sores (herpes simplex virus) can spread through sharing of mouth blown
instruments.
Alba Whistles will be more relaxed in all probability.
As will sessions and also if you meet up with a player who owns lots of whistles. It sounds like you want to pick up lots of different whistles to try them and decide what you like enough to perhaps buy.
I have tried other people's instruments and then ordered the same. I have also bought whistles which inflated realised were not what I liked in terms of tone, playability, pressure etc.

On the road from Aberdeen to Inverness is a village called Brodie. It has a good session there on
a Sunday night. You'll meet several whistle players there in the Old Mill Inn.
Brodie is about 40km east of Inverness.
In Inverness Hootananny's is best for sessions Sun Mon Tues Wednesday evenings.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
There are many other places and many players out there.
Have a great trip
Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

BKslo

Thank you,

Post by BKslo »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've bought high D Shaw (sounds better than most cheaper flutes) in Scayles, Edinbrough and tried several low whistles, and really liked only Chieftan. In Inverness I found Alba low D in The music shop. I liked how Alba sounds as well, though I reckon it is a bit harder to play than other models (Dixon low D metal). So now I need some help.

I know I like Alba the best in Inverness but can't remember if I liked Chieftan more or less, because it's been 4 days in between. I also know for Albas to be tuneable, but have to check if they have tuneable Chifteain in the shop. That could be a factor for deciding. What's your take on comparison between these two? I'm still in Scotland and will be passing through Inverness on Sunday/Monday so I can buy Alba if I decide to.

I still hope I'll get some response from Mr. Bracker. I sent two emails to him already, but no response. Can anyone help me with that as well? Maybe a phone number to phone Mr. Bracker up and ask if he is willing to recieve my visit? I would really like to try his whistles as well since he has an option to buy an aditional body to get more keys, for a bargain price, besedies the whistles sounding very good:) Maybe if someone knows him could ask to contact me via email or something similar.

Again thanks for all the help recieved already.
Bostjan
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Hi Bostjan,

I can't find a phone number for Hans but his address is below if you don't already have it. If you don't get any response from him, why not risk visiting him on the Monday. He's only 30 miles from Inverness and can only say no. But if he doesn't you may find what you're looking for in a Bracker. It's probably more free blowing than either the Alba or Chieftain and you may or may not prefer that, but I know he is willing to modify his design within certain limits if, for example, you liked it but wanted more back pressure, less air usage. On playability alone I think I myself would choose it in preference to the other two makes. Bear in mind also that, if you're not successful in visiting him in Scotland, being a maker, he may be willing to send you a whistle to try when you're back home. If you don't like it it would cost you postage both ways but at least you'd get another good chance to try it. Hope this helps.

Mike

69 Findhorn Bay Park
Forres IV36 3TY