Cillian O'Briain's Whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi All,

Just wanted to send a quick message to say that I just received a regular D Cillian O'Briain whistle. It's one of his "Improved" models and is a wonderful player!

<a href="http://www.shannaquay.bigstep.com/categ ... >Cillian's Website at Shanna Quay</a>

For $30 this is a instrument that plays better then practically any I've seen especially the crazily priced Rodeo Drive "whistles".

All the best,

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2001-09-28 13:44 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Yup, Cillian's whistles are for sale all over Ireland. I tried a lot of the aluminum Chieftain/Overton variety and they seemed quite good. I was most impressed with the "improved" Generations he sells. They're quite superb and sell for about 17 Irish pounds.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've had the "Improved" whistle for a couple of months. It is very clean sounding and has that traditional old feel to the sound. It's pretty quiet, so is good for practicing on. It takes a very delicate air pressure, so it takes getting accustomed to. I couldn't stop squeaking the second octave for the first couple of days until I lightened up on the pressure. It's definitely in the quiet range, though not as quiet as Hoovers. I like the whistle.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Bevoi

Post by Bevoi »

Heya,

I had the pleasure of playing many of Cillian's whistles in Ireland, as well as visiting him at his shop in Dingle. I must say that his high D was nice, but definitely not what I like in a whistle. It requires very precise wind control, and doesn't lend itself to be powered through. His low whistles, however, are quite the opposite. I have yet to find a whistle that has better response or controlability. However, compared to an Overton, his take more air and to me lack a bit of tonal body. However, I discovered recently in Sebastopol that Paddy Keenan's preferred low D is an O'Brian tunable, and he also plays a Grinter "F".
Phlebas

Post by Phlebas »

I can't say enough about the O Briain whistles. The improved whistle is my favourite inexpensive whistle by far. Not as loud as the Susato for outdoor playing, sessions, etc... but far superior for range of useable, true notes and best of all, it teaches you controlled breathing because it is sensitive to over-blowing. I play better than ever on all my whistles after using it for practice day after day. His Low D is simply the best one I own (mine is non-tuneable) and I am thinking of ordering more! Shanna Quay is also the best vendor I have ever dealt with, and, as far as I know, it's the only place to buy these wonderful instruments by a fine craftsman. Cheers, Cillian!
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

I've been passing on your comments to Cillian, as he's not a big user of the Internet. He asked me to say thanks to everyone who is enjoying his whistles and who have been so kind about them (he's a very, very modest man - like a lot of great craftspeople).

Thank you, too, from me for all the good things you say about Shanna Quay!

Steve :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-10-02 05:38 ]</font>
recorder_whistler

Post by recorder_whistler »

I just got my shipment from ShannaQuay and I must say they were very prompt and the service was excellent. I love my Low D from Cillian O'Briain, but I have one problem with it, namely my hands are too small to play the low D comfortably. If there is someone with average to large size hands who would like to purchase this instrument from me, please let me know! It is basically "as new" since I could only play it a few times before hand fatigue set in, and yes, I am using the "piper's fingering".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: recorder_whistler on 2001-10-24 01:31 ]</font>
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Charles

I don't seem to have heard from you directly about this matter, but I have e-mailed you with a possible solution.

Steve Power