Low whistle in Swedish traditional music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nathnainiel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: While generally more of a violist/violinist, I occasionally play the tin whistle and the low whistle.

Low whistle in Swedish traditional music

Post by Nathnainiel »

Hi!

I thought I'd share a song I wrote close to some kind of Swedish traditional style which features a low whistle solo. Feel free to have a listen and leave a comment:
https://duoisilme.bandcamp.com/track/n-ra

Cheers,
Erik
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Low whistle in Swedish traditional music

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I enjoyed your tune. To me, there is a certain medieval feel to it, with a haunting edge, particularly the whistle part. I don't know what the words meant, but I felt buffeted by a strong wind, like some elemental force. Thanks for the post.
Nathnainiel
Tell us something.: While generally more of a violist/violinist, I occasionally play the tin whistle and the low whistle.

Post by Nathnainiel »

Thank you for listening and commenting!
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, quite a nice song-and thanks also for sharing it with us, Nathnainiel. Something you don't hear everyday around here either-Swedish folk music, very nice!

Great singing-solo and chorus, and three of my favorite instruments-viola, cello and low whistle! I imagine the cellist might know of Barry Phillips Scandinavian flavored CD Tråd. It's on CD baby here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/phillipsb

He also did a Celtic CD called Cello, that featured Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh on one tune, Inis Oirr, where she played Low D whistle to his cello, and wow, is all I can say-it's the tune that really turned my ear to the low whistle, and I'll be forever grateful for her truly expressive playing on it.

The CD is also on cdbaby.com, but there is no audio sample for track 15, Inis Oirr, sadly. But the price of the CD is worth having the whole tune, in my opinion, if you like low whistle.

Keep up the good work you are doing with your music, and keep us posted here to any more low whistle tunes you come up with too!
~~~~
Barry
Nathnainiel

Post by Nathnainiel »

Those are two great CDs, thanks for sharing!

I made a simple translation that not at all reflects the poetry of the original, but it might give a hint of it:

Feel how close Reality lives.
She breaths right next to us
in the windless night.
She might show herself when no one expects her.

The sun glides over grass and bare rock.
In her silent playing
hides the spirit of life.
He was never as close as tonight.

I have met a silent stranger.
Had I reached out my hand
I'd have touched his soul,
when we passed with furtive steps.
- "Still as night", Karin Boye
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Erik... very beautiful piece. Enjoyed it so much- lots of rich textures.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers