Looking to upgrade

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Looking to upgrade

Post by tstermitz »

Twil. Quality is only partially related to price. Price is certainly related to being hand-made.

You do want good intonation and easy playing, especially as a beginner. Aside from that, quality is the wrong way to think of it.

What tone do you like? What volume do you need? Until you can answer those questions you can happily play a Jerry Freeman tweak at $40, a Killarney or Syn around $80.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Or a Timothy Potter at 24-28 dollars, which, personally, I think is up there with the Killarney in quality, and above the other aforementioned whistles, by my standards. YMMV. It is all subjective though, people will just name off whistles they like, which might not match what you like at all... Better to just try a few.

To reiterate what was above said- Don't be too overly concerned with price range. I've played mind-blowing whistles that are $5, and superb ones that go for $900. I've played crap whistles that are $5, and I've played equally (if not moreso) crap whistles that are a few hundred dollars. With really expensive whistles you could be paying for the work that goes into them, and perhaps unique qualities that they may have that aren't found in cheaper ones, or maybe even a reputation they may have (whether "deserved" or not). None of these things guarantees they are a better instrument.. maybe they will be, maybe they won't be.. And, again, the subjective bit comes into play.

A lot of people say they want a whistle in such and such price range i.e. "between 50 and 200 dollars", etc.. In my opinion it would be better to search for whistles that have the particular playing qualities and sound you like, rather than searching for ones that fit within a certain price range, as qualities of sound and playability are not restricted to any price range. You might spend a few hundred dollars and end up with a whistle that you don't like more than your 15 dollar one. You might pay a few dollars and end up with something you like exponentially more.. or vice-versa. Price, whether it be expensive or inexpensive, isn't really a determining factor.
twil
Tell us something.: After a holiday in Ireland, I started playing. I enjoy the sound the flute makes. I'm looking to progress my playing as much as possible.

Post by twil »

Thanks for the responses. I got a lot of listening to do.

What's everyone's opinions on brass v nickel/al?

Brass is more breathy and nickel/al is more sharp?
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

twil wrote: Brass is more breathy and nickel/al is more sharp?
No, that has nothing to do with it. Other aspects of the construction are the key determining factors when it comes to these qualities, and material is not a highly relevant factor (I would argue not a factor at all, but some will disagree with that). You can have 5 brass whistles that are all completely and totally different (even opposite) from each other, and the same goes for any other material. Material should only be taken into consideration as far as look, feel, and maintenance is concerned. The dimensions and other aspects of the construction are what really gives each whistle its own unique sound. A breathy sound is not caused by the material at all, but by the dimensions of various parts of the head (window, ramp, blade, windway, etc.).
twil
Tell us something.: After a holiday in Ireland, I started playing. I enjoy the sound the flute makes. I'm looking to progress my playing as much as possible.

Post by twil »

So the only reason to pay the extra for a Killarney Brass over the regular is for looks?

Why would one pay the extra for brass body?

http://www.killarneywhistle.com/purchase1.php
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

twil wrote:So the only reason to pay the extra for a Killarney Brass over the regular is for looks?

Why would one pay the extra for brass body?

http://www.killarneywhistle.com/purchase1.php
Have a look again. They're exactly the same price.
twil

Post by twil »

:D DERP

My bad!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

twil wrote:What's everyone's opinions on brass v nickel/al?
Nickel is more slippery.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
maki

Post by maki »

Peter Duggan wrote:
twil wrote:What's everyone's opinions on brass v nickel/al?
Nickel is more slippery.
Bingo.
custer
Tell us something.: I have been learning to play the whistle and my teacher recommended this site to me. I am currently looking to upgrade the whistle I have currently and would like to gather as much info on what other players are using.

Post by custer »

I have been thinking of going with a brass Killarney. I like the sound of them from the clips I have heard.
Any comments on the breath requirements?
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

custer wrote:I have been thinking of going with a brass Killarney. I like the sound of them from the clips I have heard.

Low breath requirements, regarding both air consumption, as well as the amount of push required.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

custer wrote:I have been thinking of going with a brass Killarney. I like the sound of them from the clips I have heard.
Really quite small. You can play the things with hardly any breath. You can push a little bit more, but it's still a very efficient instrument in terms of breath requirements.

[cross-post with Sirchronique]
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I play a Goldie Overton,and I`m very pleased with it.It has a great tone and it isn`t too difficult to play.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"