The Doolin whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

During my last visit to Ireland last summer i discovered a nice little whistle called the Doolin whistle. I bought it in a giftshop near the cliffs of Moher for about 6-euros. It's a brass 2-part D whistle with green mouth piece. Looks quite simular to the Clare 2-part. But I've never got to try out the Clare so I can't compair sound and playability. But the Doolin is accually quite good. And it's much cheaper too. The Clare sell for about 10-euros I think. Does anyone know anything else about this mysterious little whistle??
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I have a couple of Doolin 2-pieces, a 1-piece, and a Clare 2-piece.

I actually prefer the Clare, the xfinger Cnat is a little out, but can be blown into tune.

The Doolin head just doesn't seem to suit me, I always get squeaks and buzzes. I play loads of other cheapies, so I don't think it's me.

That said, I still have one Doolin in the packet - so maybe I should give it a try - 3rd time lucky.

It's nice to have a 2-piece in your collection, for travelling times.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Does anyone know anything else about this mysterious little whistle??
I have one that lives in the Dark Whistle Drawer where all the lost whistles go when they're not played anymore.

The one I've imprisoned is very quiet, needing only to be breathed into.
Anything harder than the slightest breath and it squeals/buzzes etc. So it lives in the Dark Whistle Drawer where all ..... Image
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Well, mine isn't that bad. Ok, it's a bit squeaky, but I don't find it worse on that than say, the Oak. I like it a lot better than the Generation D, at least.
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Hi Henke,
I have a one piece Doolin whistle, and I'm very fond of it indeed. It is true that a Doolin requires very gentle use of breath, but I quite enjoy this. The high notes are very easy on the ear, and the sound is lovely...soft but with plenty of personality.
I know that two whistles are never *quite* alike, but I'd have no hesitation about buying another if I lost/broke my own.
Enjoy your whistling,
Adrian
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I owned two Doolins and both were terrible. I actually threw them away. But I've seen many posts here on C&F of folks who really love theirs, so I guess there's a lot of variation in them. I do love Clares, though (I have several, all good).
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I have a 2pc one, and I like it a lot; tone quality is wonderful, repsonse is very nice, ect. (I actually wrote a review for it for one of the newsletters that's on the site...) However, b/c I have been a Saxophone player for 7 years, I tend to blow hard, so I don't play it often. I think it would be a wonderful beginner whistle, however.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë