MK plain alloy in A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

MK plain alloy in A

Post by pancelticpiper »

A player in the UK kindly informed me of this blog posted 22 Jan 2016 announcing a new MK key, A, and a new MK finish offering, plain alloy.

http://www.mkwhistles.com/blog/category/mk-blog/

I'll be interested on hearing reactions to the A whistle. I'm currently liking my home-made FrankenGen A but one never knows!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: MK plain alloy in A

Post by Sirchronique »

Yes, I got an email from Misha saying that since I had inquired about a low G quite some time ago, I could get one of the whistles from the first batch of alto A's. Unfortunately using funds for other things at this time so had to pass on it, but I do look forward to hearing from others who have tried it.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Received mine today. It's red. It's awesome. Best A I've ever played and one of the best whistles I ever played too. Quite some back pressure, which I love, you can really lean into it. MK signature tone, quite some breath, absolutely not clean, not 'traditional', but I think if you buy an MK you expect just that. I loved it after the first few notes. Nice detail, the tuning slide is anodized too and slightly polished. I think it looks a lot better than the brass slide on the D and F.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I also got an email from Misha that as I had ordered a G years ago, he was giving me a heads up on the new batch of A whistles. I've had it for two days and absolutely love it. Satin Green finish, a new plastic tuning slide (replaces the brass) which is the best in my experience (feels hydraulic and won't do the metal on metal seize up), resonant, balanced, the best A I've played. Doesn't clog. One question though. There are no maker's markings anywhere on the whistle; is that standard for MKs? Just noted that someone said anodized as in metal slide; the site notes plastic in the new batch of A whistles, but it does seem to be anodized aluminum. Whatever it is it works great.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The lining of the receiving end of the slide (the "headjoint") is plastic, the other end is aluminum tubing that has been turned down to fit into the plastic-lined headjoint. Neat design.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've owned a half-dozen MK D whistles, and as I recall only one bore a mark, a pair of old-fashioned spectacles with M and K in the two lenses.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle