D whistle recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
idiotboynumber1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

D whistle recommendations

Post by idiotboynumber1 »

going to buy a whistle high D for a good friend. so looking for recommendations to point me in the right direction please.
cost doesn't really matter

thanks
id#1
Steve Bliven

Re: D whistle recommendations

Post by Steve Bliven »

A bit more information would be helpful to provide better input to your question...
- Does the friend already play music?
- A wind instrument?
- Will the friend be playing Irish music or a range of styles?
- Adult or child?
- A self-learner or will there be a teacher?
- Beginner or some/lots of experience?
- What continent are you located on/country located in?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
idiotboynumber1

Post by idiotboynumber1 »

Thanks Steve, it's for:

Adult intermediate level whistle player for irish traditional music solo/sessions in Ireland
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

At that level... any whistle will do.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

idiotboynumber1 wrote:going to buy a whistle high D for a good friend
Does the friend know you're buying it? Because I'd not thank anyone for just presenting me with a whistle not of my choice, and especially if it cost a significant amount.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

Since you are in Ireland,why not go "home grown" so to speak and get a bespoke whistle by :ROY MCMANUS
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Peter Duggan wrote:Does the friend know you're buying it? Because I'd not thank anyone for just presenting me with a whistle not of my choice, and especially if it cost a significant amount.
Another way of saying that might be that a whistle (or any musical instrument) for an intermediate or advanced player tends to be a rather personal choice. While the thought may be received with gratitude, the whistle would be most appreciated if it is a good fit for the player's skills and preferences. Maybe a "gift certificate"?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Steve Bliven wrote:While the thought may be received with gratitude, the whistle would be most appreciated if it is a good fit for the player's skills and preferences.
Yes, exactly. Or they might not need/want it at all (we don't all suffer from incurable 'WHOAD'). Perhaps the OP's friend has actually asked for one but doesn't know what they want (?), but beware potentially significant pitfalls in surprise!

Master of nine?
megapop

Post by megapop »

How about one of those new Generation Boho whistles? :party: Of course Generations are always a bit hit and miss, but if it turns out to be not so good it's still a nice gimmick. Also it's cheap.
return null;
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Does the friend know you're buying it? Because I'd not thank anyone for just presenting me with a whistle not of my choice, and especially if it cost a significant amount.
Amen. My wife wanted to surprise me this past Christmas; bought me an expensive whistle with a c-natural thumb hole that I have no use for whatsoever. :cry:
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

An Draighean wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:
Amen. My wife wanted to surprise me this past Christmas; bought me an expensive whistle with a c-natural thumb hole that I have no use for whatsoever. :cry:

Put tape over it- problem solved!

And geesh, you folks are ungrateful :really: . If someone got me a whistle I'd just say thanks and I'd play it, regardless of what it was. It's the thought that counts, anyway.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

'I'd not thank anyone' or 'I wouldn't thank you' are basically figures of speech. If you bought me a whistle I didn't want/like/rate, of course I'd thank you... and try it, probably give you a quick tootle if you were there and try to say something vaguely positive about it, then spend the next x months/years dealing with awkward questions about how I'm liking it...

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Wrong thread <d'oh>
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Peter Duggan wrote:'I'd not thank anyone' or 'I wouldn't thank you' are basically figures of speech. If you bought me a whistle I didn't want/like/rate, of course I'd thank you... and try it, probably give you a quick tootle if you were there and try to say something vaguely positive about it, then spend the next x months/years dealing with awkward questions about how I'm liking it...
Exactly so. Meanwhile, a whistle someone else might appreciate just sits on a shelf; can't trade it or sell it and hurt the feelings of the giver.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

I tend to agree with the above sentiments. Perhaps get them a nice travel case for their whistles; those tend to be a lot less personal. Throw in a case of beer and it's a gift I can fully support. :thumbsup:
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com