Playing Klezmer with a tinwhistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Post by Guest »

I know this topic has been around before etc. But I'm curious if anyone knows if there is sheetmusic on the net that I could check out that I don't have to start rewriting that are set in D or so on... 8-/
Not very good at understanding exactly how to transfer(or whatever the word is...) the notes and so on...

--Jukka
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Hej Jukka,
I don't know of any places you can find sheet music for Klezmer music.
What I did was getting myself a Bb whistle (Generations are good and not expensive) and tried playing along with some of the tunes/songs I know.
The trick is that most solo parts in Klezmer are played on either clarinet or fiddle, and these creatures are not bothered by sharps/flats in any scale in a way the whistle does - so it does require some half holing here and there to get the tune. Also you need to use half-holing to accomplish the wonderful lilting slides on and off notes that is so characteristic to Jiddish folk music.

I managed to play along with 'Alle Brider' and some other solo parts which are not to virtuoso and fast.
Good luck
Jeroen
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

What exactly is Klezmer music?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Ron Rowe wrote:What exactly is Klezmer music?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klezmer

I trust this link will be an informative introduction for you.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I have to ask.....Mr Talasiga, are you bored?
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Holy doodle! I have enough trouble with klezmer on clarinet and flute. Doing it with an unkeyed whistle would be like swimming in a mink suit.

OTOH, Jubilee Musical Instruments will make you a whistle in a harmonic minor scale, good enough for some klezmer tunes. Haven't tried them but I hear they're loads of fun.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Chiffed wrote:......
OTOH, Jubilee Musical Instruments will make you a whistle in a harmonic minor scale, good enough for some klezmer tunes. Haven't tried them but I hear they're loads of fun.
Yes you will get two melodic modes for Klezmer on a harmonic minor tube

- the Hijaz mode (harmonic minor) and the Ahava Rabba mode from the harmonic minor's fifth note.

And you will get the Carnatic (South Indian) Hemavathi's mode from the harmonic minor's fourth note which is basically a Dorian BUT with an augmented fourth. I think I have heard this song type in some Eastern European musics also but I don't know wheteher Klezmer catches it.

Here is interval info:

Harmonic Minor (Hijaz Maqam or Raag Kirwaani's scale)
2:1:2:2:1:3:1

Ahava Rabba (Raag Basant Mukhari's scale)
1:3:1:2:1:2:2

Ragam Hemavathi's scale (Middle Eastern and Eastern Euro. name not known to me)
2:1:3:1:2:1:2
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Chiffed wrote:OTOH, Jubilee Musical Instruments will make you a whistle in a harmonic minor scale, good enough for some klezmer tunes. Haven't tried them but I hear they're loads of fun.
Here there is a video of the Ahava Rabba whistle made by David Bingamon. Very funny instrument!
Sorry for my bad english...
koktach

Post by koktach »

Where do I get one of those?
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

koktach wrote:Where do I get one of those?
http://www.tinwhistles.us/jubilee/whisethnic.htm
Sorry for my bad english...
koktach

Post by koktach »

hm... better still does anyone have aproximate measurements for this whistle, so I could make one myself.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

koktach wrote:hm... better still does anyone have aproximate measurements for this whistle, so I could make one myself.
I have one of those whistles, and it's really fun. I love to play Celtic tunes on it and hear how they come out: instant Klez!

Somewhere on his site, I think Dan has a tonehole calculator that you can use to plot the size and position of holes in all keys and modes.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Anonymous wrote:I know this topic has been around before etc. But I'm curious if anyone knows if there is sheetmusic on the net that I could check out that I don't have to start rewriting that are set in D or so on... 8-/
Not very good at understanding exactly how to transfer(or whatever the word is...) the notes and so on...

--Jukka
There is a tune with two names: Itzikel, and Frailach, that is klezmer based but is played by many Irish musicians. Kevin Burke plays it on his solo album and Lunasa plays it on their debut album. You can find the music on thesession.org.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Oh, and you can play it on a D whistle with only 2 fairly easy half holes.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

koktach wrote:hm... better still does anyone have aproximate measurements for this whistle, so I could make one myself.
Using TWCALC (from the Jubilee site previously mentionned), talasiga's scales, some chunks of copper plumbing pipe, and a Sweetone head, you're on your way!

For a quiet and very funky whistle for oros, try an A length tube with holes for this scale:
A Bb C# D E F G
The stretch for the augmented Bb-C# is a bit long, but doable.

I'll see what I can do for measurements if I have time.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.