Whistle Repair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SLO Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle Repair

Post by SLO Whistler »

Could anyone recommend a good whistle repair shop on the west coast (USA) I have a SYN whistle and while flicking the spittle from the mouthpiece, the tuning slide went flying and dented the copper insert. Prefer not to send it all the way back to Australia.
Thanks for the help.
SLO Whistler
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Whistle Repair

Post by jkrazy52 »

Not exactly west coast, but Tommy Dion in Texas might look at it for you. His user name on C&F is "Tommy". He makes great whistles and has repaired a couple for me. Send him a PM through the board. Never hurts to ask.
SLO Whistler

Post by SLO Whistler »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get I touch with him.
you are appreciated.
SLO Whistler
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

It's a simple repair SLO, but it's all about technique rather than tools. You're doing the right thing if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself.
I'm here if you need me!
So good it has to be a SYN!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SLO Whistler wrote:...while flicking the spittle from the mouthpiece, the tuning slide went flying and dented the copper insert.
Something to consider for the future, if you don't mind the hindsight: Instead of flicking - and if sucking out your own juices grosses you out - you can put a finger on the windway to keep the whistle from sounding, and blow. But please cover the windway. I knew a fellow who'd routinely just blow it out uncovered, and the loud screech was jarring and inexcusable. Don't know why he never covered the windway, because it had been suggested to him enough times, our pain should have been obvious, and from the looks she'd give him I'm sure his long-suffering wife killed him every time they got home. He's actually a good person; just has a curious blind spot there. Don't be that guy.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SLO Whistler

Post by SLO Whistler »

Thanks for the tip on clearing the tube. If Syn Whistles could explain the process of removing the copper insert, I'll see if I'm capable of fixing the problem. Much appreciated. the Syn whistle is a treat to play. Not sure if it's appropriate to give a "shout out" to The Whistle & Drum. Blayne Chastian & Zina Lee have been very helpful in my tin whistle selection.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

jkrazy52 wrote:Not exactly west coast, but Tommy Dion in Texas might look at it for you. His user name on C&F is "Tommy". He makes great whistles and has repaired a couple for me. Send him a PM through the board. Never hurts to ask.
Yes I have experience making/repairing copper whistles. Sounds like a simple ding on the end of the tube? I could fix it complimentary if you pay for mailing both ways. I have always enjoyed my Syn whistles. If you could post a picture Mr Syn or myself might be able to explain how you could mend it depending on your experience with tools.

Copper conical key D whistles by Tommy Dion.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

SLO Whistler wrote:Thanks for the tip on clearing the tube. If Syn Whistles could explain the process of removing the copper insert, I'll see if I'm capable of fixing the problem. Much appreciated. the Syn whistle is a treat to play. Not sure if it's appropriate to give a "shout out" to The Whistle & Drum. Blayne Chastian & Zina Lee have been very helpful in my tin whistle selection.
The insert is actually brass rather than copper and doesn't really need to come out for repair. I use a piece of 1/2" steel rod (even the straight part of a 1/2" drill bit will do) and gently work that up the inside of the damaged brass bit. To get it properly round again, with the 1/2" steel rod still inside, roll it backwards and forwards on a hard flat surface with a steel bar on top, applying some pressure downwards. Not too much though as that will also expand the brass tube, then you'll have to sand it down to fit again with fine sandpaper. Test the fit often.
I hope that makes sense, I can post some pics for further clarification if it doesn't.
So good it has to be a SYN!
SLO Whistler

Post by SLO Whistler »

Thanks for the info. I'll attempt the repair and post my success. You all have been very helpful.