CP SPECIAL OFFERS

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP SPECIAL OFFERS

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

I have a small number of Maple head whistles (mainly Low Ds) that I have revoiced and brought up to my current level of whistle making. The heads on these whistles are all tunable using double o-rings in the head. Some of the whistles have inline holes and others off-set holes and some are tuned to “Just Temperament” and others to Equal tuning. Some have clear powder coating and others are polished brass. There are also a few other keys available including Low C, Eb, E, F and Low G.

Most of these instruments have what I consider to be a large bore... slightly larger than my standard bore, so they play very strong in the bottom end and fairly loud in the upper octave. There are not many of these maple head instruments available and when they are sold I will not be making more. I also have two prototype designs (2 of each) available which play very nicely. I also have two maple head Low Ds that use my standard bore and play more like my standard offering.

These instruments are offered on my "SPECIAL OFFERS" page on my site at a 40% discount from my regular price. Let me know thru the Contact Page on my site if interested.

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: CP SPECIAL OFFERS

Post by greenspiderweb »

Ronaldo has some pretty nice deals here! If you haven't checked them out yet, do so.

There's something very nice (look, tone, lip-feel) about the Maple headed whistles and brass-and they aren't being made any longer. These are kind of special too, since they are updated versions, and also some rarer prototypes as well. I got one of the all brass protos, and I'm real happy with it! Pretty unique whistles at bargain prices.

Thanks Ronaldo!
~~~~
Barry
caroldelorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by caroldelorenzo »

I would really like to hear more about the brass prototype. How does it differ in tone, etc. from the brass/delrin head whistle? What do you like about it?

Thanks
C
Reyburnwhistles

Carol, to clarify.... the Brass prototype and the Brass/ Delrin head Low D are one in the same. And there is just one left.

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Maybe Carol meant how does the prototype all brass compare to your current delrin head/brass tube models?

I can't answer that, because I don't have one of Ronaldo's current models, but the prototype may be a little quieter than the one I played on the tour. I don't believe it was designed as a session whistle (at least for the low end). You might be able to hear the top end easily.

Though the bell note is quite strong and you can lean into it, which was a nice surprise. Also, it might be a little freer blowing-not as much back pressure, which I also like. Easily accessible low 2nd octave (though haven't played up to the top yet in my apartment!). I feel it might not be too loud, in comparison to some of the louder ones about.

Both all brass prototypes were made with offset holes-it's the only thing that I would change if I ordered it-but seeing that it's not that hard to adapt to, and I got a nice deal from Ronaldo in his sale listings, so I can live with that.

Very nice whistle, for me, and anyone not wanting a session cannon, probably.
~~~~
Barry
caroldelorenzo

Post by caroldelorenzo »

Thanks, Barry, that was exactly what I was trying to ask. The picture shows a boxed blade/window area, so I was wondering if it was designed for more volume.
Reyburnwhistles

Carol, yes the raised wall around the window is there to strengthen the bottom end, especially the fundamental. That is the reason why I have made my current Low Ds with a larger outer diameter, which gives a the same raised wall affect.

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

Hi Mr. Reyburn!

I sent an email and a PM your way!
JS

Post by JS »

I just ordered one of these specials from Ronaldo, and I wanted to give his post a friendly bump. No commercial interest on my part. I had one of his maple-headed low D whistles some years ago, and I'm delighted to have the chance to get another.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Good for ya', JS! I too had a Reyburn Maple head standard bore that I sold, and wished I hadn't, but am now grateful to Ronaldo for having something equally as interesting in tone to relieve the psychic debt of selling something you liked and couldn't replace! ; )

We all do stupid things at times that we have regretted, but there are times when we can
regain or at least replace those lost feelings with another pleasurable experience.

I highly reccommend Ronaldo Reyburn's special offerings as well-not something that you will ever see again, and if you are able to, it might be just right for you now.

My prize is an all brass prototype, and I wish I had the extra dosh for the maple/brass proto too, as that one interests me as well. But, my choice worked out well for me-and I am very happy Ronaldo made the special offerings that he has clued us into.

I hope you like yours as well as I did, JS! Enjoy and have a blast!
~~~~
Barry
trill

Post by trill »

I'd like to chime in on Reyburn whistles.

They're great. I bought one of his tour low-d's and ordered an extra tube.

They have a beautiful voice all their own.

I've tried many low-d's. Reyburns are top-notch, finely-crafted instruments.
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

When I saw this post, I jumped at the chance to get a unique Reyburn whistle. I ended up getting an all-maple head low d with the narrower (standard) bore. It took around a week and a half to make its way to Asia, but it was worth it! I received my new friend yesterday afternoon and I have been playing it on and off since.

It has a lovely gravely but powerful sound, leaning towards a NAF like timbre. Dynamic range is wide, able to be played loudly or softly without distorting sound. The bell note can be honked like a foghorn :) ! If the narrow bore has this much power, I can only wonder how much the big bore has.

The most surprising feature of this whistle is how air efficient it is. I was looking forward to the nice back-pressure I read about regarding maple-head Reyburns. Even with that I was surprised. Maybe my lungs are just hardened from flute playing, but to me this low whistle feels like it takes as little air as a high D! I never find myself out of breath even with playing the most aggressive tunes I know.

Thank you for the wonderful whistle Mr. Reyburn!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Nice review Ruben! It sounds like you scored a very nice whistle, for sure. Too bad Ronaldo doesn't offer these still-they were great. That is the model I had also that I really liked, but let go by mistake either in a time of financial need or just moving on to be able to afford to try something else. Live and learn!

But glad you were able to take advantage, and are well pleased with it. Congrats on getting in on the special offers. Thanks to Ronaldo too, for making them available, at such nice prices too!

Happy Holidays, all!
~~~~
Barry
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

Here's a video of the maple head Reyburn that I bought in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubf5rU4AT-A
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

These Maple-head Reyburns have a unique tone which is quite amazing: loud yet velvety-smooth, with that NAF haunting quality.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle