Whistle Prototype

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doogie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle Prototype

Post by Doogie »

Hi guys/gals. I decided to start making whistles as I've had an itch to try my hand at it for a few years as well as a little bit of encouragement from some of you guys.

I have one tester who will be reviewing and I would like to know of a couple more folks that do reviews. I know you guys probably know the guys/gals that you would recommend to give reviews and feedback.

Here is a video of my second attempt. For now they are just plain and simple Delrin

https://youtu.be/IRV4RncaUmk

Cheers, Seth Hamon
http://Hamonbagpipes.com
Coffee

Re: Whistle Prototype

Post by Coffee »

I'll be back in Arlington/Dallas area in December, albeit just for the month.
I wouldn't mind having a rum-go on it.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That has a nice sound. The C# quite flat though- is that intentional?
I can't figure out the fipple and tone producing area of the head. Tell us about that block design.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

brewerpaul wrote:That has a nice sound. The C# quite flat though- is that intentional?
I think if you look at 0:16 very closely, you'll see he's got finger no. 2 down as he's going up the scale. That would certainly flatten any c#, though I couldn't say if it's intentional or not! He does the same thing on the way down around 0:22 for what it's worth.
I can't figure out the fipple and tone producing area of the head. Tell us about that block design.
A curious design indeed! I'd like to hear more about it too.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
jbowen507

Post by jbowen507 »

In which part of Texas are you located?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

jbowen507 wrote:In which part of Texas are you located?
A quick click on his web site link shows (Scottish, Irish, Northumbrian and Swedish Bagpipes
Seth Hamon of Mansfield, Texas, USA)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
jbowen507

Post by jbowen507 »

Ah, I completely missed the website in his signature. On a related note, Tommy I'm not too far from you. One of these days I'll have to try out one of your whistles. I hear wood is all the rage these days, and everyone on this forum is always advising the community to support their local whistle maker.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

jbowen507 wrote:Ah, I completely missed the website in his signature. On a related note, Tommy I'm not too far from you. One of these days I'll have to try out one of your whistles. I hear wood is all the rage these days, and everyone on this forum is always advising the community to support their local whistle maker.
I received a low A olivewood whistle from Tommy and have enjoyed it immensely! Thanks Tommy. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with delrin whistles either. Good luck Seth with your prototype whistle development! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

Yea, what you guys are hearing is a C natural and that is intentional. I do the same thing when I go through the scale on my Uilleann pipes. I think I might have left the C# out of my scale so I should re-record that as I did the same thing on the recording from yesterday on my first wooden whistle http://youtu.be/zS_co98eE1I . I don't play whistles much at all these days but I've always wanted to make them along but until recently never had the time to learn due to bagpipe orders.

As for the design, it's a mixture of my Abell and Milligan whistles but I'm changing a few things as I go, especially the thin area where the tuning slide chamber tube is located on the body, I'm leaving this area a wee bit thicker.

There is a group on Facebook called "Flute and Whistle Makers Exchange" where myself and some others are discussing these things and making and such.

Cheers, Seth
Cheers, Seth Hamon
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

brewerpaul wrote:That has a nice sound. The C# quite flat though- is that intentional?
I'm new to whistle making. What do you mean by block design? I'm at the moment copying my Abell and Milligan whistles.

The flat c# your hearing is me playing a C natural. When I go through the scale on an Uilleann chanter or whistle, I've always done that for as long as I remember, although I play the C# and then C on the uilleann chanter just when showing the scale and I think I'be actually left out the C# completely in both videos. I'll redo the video with both the C nat and C#.
Cheers, Seth Hamon
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

This is the type of head that I'd like try next, photo attached. The only issue I've found in my research over the years and talking to my bagpipe customers who play whistles is the issues with wood movements that we also see in bagpipes with regard to shrinkage that mostly affects the upper narrow bores or throats in bagpipes. Seasoned wood is a must but even the most seasoned wood moves.
What do you guys think about this? Plastic heads versus wooden heads and issues with either.

Cheers, Seth Hamon
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Doogie wrote: What do you guys think about this? Plastic heads versus wooden heads and issues with either.
I make ''Whistles of Wood'' PVC, CPVC, and Delrin. Delrin is sort of a high grade plastic. Which one is better is mostly a players personal preference.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Doogie wrote:The only issue I've found in my research over the years and talking to my bagpipe customers who play whistles is the issues with wood movements that we also see in bagpipes with regard to shrinkage that mostly affects the upper narrow bores or throats in bagpipes. Seasoned wood is a must but even the most seasoned wood moves.
What do you guys think about this? Plastic heads versus wooden heads and issues with either.
Seth, I have made whistle out of wood, PVC, CPVC, ABS, Brass, Aluminum, Delrin/Acetal and resin composites - alone or in various combinations. All of these materials will work in a whistle. Each material has its own merits. And each material presents its own issues be they workability, glue-ability, thermal conductivity, weight, corrosion/oxidation, shrinking/swelling, etc., etc.. We use what works best for us as makers and for those that play them.

The more dense woods available will work out just fine. They've been the material of choice in woodwinds (How did we come to call them by that name?) for centuries. Well seasoned wood will last a long time. I have several middle-aged wooden whistles which are just as right as they were when first delivered. Other wooden whistles I have purchased have not fared as well, but they are usually repairable.

One of the things many of us do though is to machine the dimensions of the wood down to rather thin walled tubes. That can leave the timber whistles vulnerable in places, especially if it is not well cared for by the player. Design can be matter of aesthetic fashion I think. Owning largely to the profile of the ubiquitous brass whistles, players want a lithe instrument. Few whistle players want to play something that looks in any way like a recorder. Heaven forbid! But there is a lot of good sense in the design of wood recorders - Baroque or modern designs. But then again ABS is the most common recorder material in use these days. So what have we learned?

There are a lot of tactics you can employ to guard against the issues which give wood a bad rap. It's not magic. It's woodworking and a little engineering. Some makers will use a Delrin head/components with a wood body. Everybody thinks through the issues and solutions in their own way.

I happen to like wood. It's what I want to see. It's what I want to hold in my hands. It's what I want most to bore and to turn. I am presently working with polymerizing woods. That shows a lot of promise. Recorder makers have impregnated wood with paraffin for many years. Polymerization is just a more modern take on that idea I suppose. YMMV.

And Delrin does work just fine.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Feadoggie wrote: Seth, I have made whistle out of wood, PVC, CPVC, ABS, Brass, Aluminum, Delrin/Acetal and resin composites - alone or in various combinations. All of these materials will work in a whistle. Each material has its own merits.

Feadoggie
Hmmmmm……… Oh! Let us not forget copper. It can be shaped into a conical bore. Similar to a Copeland.

brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

My asking about the odd block design refers to the picture in your original post. Usually in the open window of a whistle, all you see is the front face of the block right at the end of the windway. Image
In your picture, the block looks like it fills the windway with one surface angling up and then back down again.
Doogie wrote:Hi guys/gals. I decided to start making whistles as I've had an itch to try my hand at it for a few years as well as a little bit of encouragement from some of you guys.

Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!