Solas need our help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Will you pledge to support Solas?

Poll ended at Tue May 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Yes - Seamus Egan is a whistle-god!
42%
No - I prefer recorder.
58%

Total votes: 12

ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Solas need our help

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

[Moderator approved. - Mod]

Solas, the legendary Irish traditional music band, need our help.

To celebrate 20 years together they hope to bring together all the members of Solas, past and present, to record an album of all-new material, the first time the original lineup of Solas will be recorded together since 1997! Solas can't fund this alone, so they've launched a Kickstarter and they urgently need our help to make it a success. With only 7 days left they still need to raise almost $9,000. They've got some amazing rewards, including flute/whistle lessons with Seamus Egan... just imagine!

Solas need our help - so please consider at least pledging $15, for which you will receive a digital copy of the album and the knowledge that you contributed to a truly good cause.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... nav_search
maestrosid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Solas need our help

Post by maestrosid »

Already pledged when the project started. It's a good cause and should be some lovely music. Plus which, you get at least a digital download!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Done!
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You know, I have a bit of an issue with all these kickstarter campaigns for everything. How did albums or CDs ever get made in the past? Will U2 be next asking for our funding?
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Jayhawk wrote:You know, I have a bit of an issue with all these kickstarter campaigns for everything. How did albums or CDs ever get made in the past? Will U2 be next asking for our funding?
In the case of, say, a CD or a book, it's a modern variant of the old system of publishing by subscription, which has been around for centuries. I think it's fine, if you know that you want the product offered or you really want to support the person asking.

But it's true that there are more and more requests out there, and some of them (like this one) are getting pretty ambitious. Are artists less and less willing to take risks? I don't know. In any case I think the only way to respond is to treat them like beggars in the street. Give when you feel moved to give, and walk on by when you don't. :)
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

Jayhawk wrote:You know, I have a bit of an issue with all these kickstarter campaigns for everything. How did albums or CDs ever get made in the past? Will U2 be next asking for our funding?
Releasing an album now is less likely to be lucrative than it was in the past. Between illegal methods of obtaining music and methods that are legal but pay practically nil to the musicians (Spotify, Google Play, Pandora, etc.), bands can't count on sales being enough to recoup the costs of pressing an album (I'm assuming these guys don't have a label behind them and will have to pay out of pocket to get the album made).
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Oh I know about the cost of releasing a CD, even if you do all of the recording/mixing yourself. I have just seen too many instances where people have the money to do it on their own yet ask for people to fund it for them.

It is almost like there is an expectation that a CD costs the band nothing and is pure profit. That's a rather unique business model and much more profitable than having investors or even the old patronage system in which there was an expectation of quid pro quo.

Plus...CD costs are so low these days you can usually cover the release/printing costs by selling 100-300 CDs depending upon what you need help doing.
Oh well, to each their own. I have funded things where I feel they are good causes or won't be made without the funding. Just don't want people to think I am totally against such funding endeavors.
Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Fri May 15, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I don't mind supporting the younger people just starting out. I'd prefer rather supporting the musicians through live performances and purchasing the CD in person. I realize that's after the fact, making the CD, but for me it makes the music and performance more personal/meaningful. I have contributed to CD fundraisers of all kinds but I have access to enough personal encounters to fill my budget allowances. I do pay for all of my music supporting the creative effort.

One can always pick and choose whether to contribute or not... and not have any ill feelings either way (I don't).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll pick this one:
StevieJ wrote:
In the case of, say, a CD or a book, it's a modern variant of the old system of publishing by subscription, which has been around for centuries. I think it's fine, if you know that you want the product offered or you really want to support the person asking.

But it's true that there are more and more requests out there, and some of them (like this one) are getting pretty ambitious. Are artists less and less willing to take risks? I don't know. In any case I think the only way to respond is to treat them like beggars in the street. Give when you feel moved to give, and walk on by when you don't. :)
Just a general, all-inclusive commentary:

Rest assured the mods are mindful of the topic lately, especially with this cause following closely as it does on the heels of the recent aid drive for the sadly now late Walden. Solicitations are normally uncommon events, and contribution-seeking invites particular scrutiny, so we think you'll agree the tin cup is rightly beholden to Dale's or Mod approval first. Sez so in CCCP #19, too. :wink: Suffice it to say that we would in all probability NOT approve a solicitation on behalf of U2. Topicality, and otherwise the nature of urgency, remain parameters of importance here. But even those won't necessarily ensure approval. Needless to say, approving a solicitation is often an exercise in navigating a minefield.

We do ask our members to exercise restraint, for we dread the prospect of an increased frequency in this sort of thing. Crowdsourcing monies for causes is very easy these days, so where the sum of C&F's contributions would constitute only a drop in the bucket, please consider that reality first. Thanks.

- Mod.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Folks - we're talking about Solas here.

They're putting together this album as a labor of love, to do something truly special to celebrate 20 years as a band. If you feel moved to support them do, and if you prefer not to then don't. It's completely up to you.

For me, and for many others, Solas has been an inspiration since their first album. I am grateful for the music they have brought into my life, the way Seamus' playing inspired me to take up whistle and flute, John Williams playing inspired me to take up accordion and concertina, and the amazing journey I'm on as a result.

If you enjoy Solas' music, have been inspired by them over the years, and want to say thank you by supporting this project then I know they'll be very grateful.

If not, then don't feel obliged.

Enjoy your music.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Folks - we're talking about Solas here.
Got that from your OP. Makes no difference to me. Sure, they're good, but so many worthy causes...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Solas still need to raise $1,500 in the next 37 hours or the Kickstarter will fail. So, if any of you do feel like supporting a great project by a great band, do considering pledging $15, for which you'll receive a copy of Solas' 20th anniversary album and the knowledge that you helped it get made.

The link to the Kickstarter is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... nav_search

Best,
Chris
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

The Kickstarter campaign has been a success. Thanks to all of you who contributed. I know Solas are very grateful. https://www.facebook.com/solasmusic/pos ... 1919776727