From Joanie Madden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

Dear Joanie -

I'd like to hear a Trad. style CD, but not so super-whistle orientated. For example, I find Mary Bergin's CD (Feadoga Stain 2) almost un-listenable - just a bit too whistle orientated.

I'd love to hear some duets, like fiddle and whistle, or pipes and whistle, etc.

- tw
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Joannie,
Pure trad!
I want to listen to your CD and feel like I'm sitting in the pub/kitchen with you and a handful of your friends, and you're ripping away on tune after tune, whooping it up, having a great time, and throwing back the pints.

Think about something along the lines of music at Matt Molloys or the Noel Hill/Tony McMahon live CD with the dancers, the woops and shouts, the rough, unbridled, pure energy and joy... except even more!

It's every chiffsters dream to be in a session with you. Make that dream come true by making a recording that puts you, and the session, in our living room.

Please, please, please!
Chris
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I'm for trad too, but I don't think that would be a good buisness decision, as it wouldnt sell as much as a "new age" type of CD, I'm pretty sure. It all depends on how much Joanie needs the money, I guess.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

It's a tough call Az... I sure as heck wouldn't buy a "New-Age" whistle CD. I don't think you would either, and looks like most of the gang who have posted here would prefer the trad. So who, exacly, is the demographic that buys New-Age whistle CDs and are they really bigger than the group that would buy pure drop? Also, the pure drop crowd will buy a pure drop whistle CD from Joannie, but are there really New-Age fans who think to themselves, "Yes, a new-age whistle CD! I've got to have it?" I don't know.
What's hopefully more important, though money is very important indeed, is to leave a real legacy musically. Though the new-age style albums may sell a lot, I really doubt many people are going to be listening to them 50 years down the road. Pure drop is a different story. Pure drop is timeless.
Chris
barbprimrose
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

new-age cd!

Post by barbprimrose »

Hi Chris,

Your point of view is appreciated but a little harsh don't you think? I personally enjoy Joanie's cd's myself! However, I have come across many individuals that really get a bit tired of all the pure drop stuff! Infact, they say that New-Age recordings are multi-cultural and can really reach a wider audience in terms of it's unique style!!

Davy Spillane, Michael Mc'Goldrick, Capercaille, Talbert St.Claire, just to name a few! Talbert St.Claire is one of our very own! These are individual's that are very good at what they do and many people appreciate the hard work for there individualism's.

To undermine the NEW-AGE appeal is not fare. There many musician's that do not neccesarily make a lot of money, but they do have a legacy all there own and we appreciate them very much. It's sad that you have these views.

Take for example Talbert St.Claire.Talbert is my Whistle teacher and he's a monster Low Whistler! I speak of him only because I do not know the other musicians mentioned. Well anyway, I saw Talbert about 4-days ago for a lesson and he showed me all the wonderful reply's coming from so many people across the globe that just love his music. Some even said that his music is, "TIMELESS"! There were many people even from the board who have shared there thoughts about his new-age style.

I may not post much on the board. But many of us have friends that we know and have come to love.Your comment was inappropriate and shows a little bit of arrogance on your part. Perhaps, there may be some who will agree that people like Talbert St.Claire's music bring out the best in many of us! Thank You - Barb
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Barb,

Please consider the satirical, off-beat senses of humor of several people on this forum.

(BTW, I'm a non-trad player myself!) :D

-Jim
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Paul

Post by Paul »

You know, Joanie, if you did do the 2-CD set with a "modern" type one and a pure drop one together maybe some of the new-agers who have never really been exposed to the good old stuff would get a taste of what they're missing and fall in love with it. I'll bet you would create a bunch more Traditional music fans in the process.

-Paul
barbprimrose

thanks!

Post by barbprimrose »

Jim,

Thank You for caring enough to remind me of that. - Barb :D
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Dear Barb -

A little context here....
I used to make "new-age" music and electronic music.... I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I did (I thankfully kicked that habit).
I sang choral music from all over the world in a 70 person choir that toured in the US and Europe.
I studied Ghanain flute in West Africa.
I also ran a "world-music" radio show for four years and love music from all different cultures.
At the same time I ran a "Celtic music" radio and received many, many albums in this genre.
I own probably 600 CDs. About 300 of them could be loosely called "Celtic" (gosh, I hate that term....).
I am also a big fan of Capercaillie and Mike McGoldrick as well as Davy Spillane's album with Kevin Glackin (I haven't had a chance to hear Talbert so I can't comment).
When people ask what sort of music I like I can't tell them because I like so many different styles.

That said, pure-drop Irish music is my true love.... I love it more than anything else. Joanie has made several "new age" albums, as well an orchestral album with Cherish the Ladies and the Boston pops.
If I or anyone else wants to hear Joanie play in a "new age" setting they can simply listen to one of her previous albums. For those of us who would like to hear her rip it up in the pure-drop style there's not really anything available. I, and many others, would love it if there was.

I would LOVE a trad album from Joanie.

Chris
P.S. - I think McGoldrick and Capercaillie would be a bit offended by being referred to as "new age".
P.P.S. - What do you get when you play "new age" music backwards? "New age" music.
P.P.P.S - What do you get when you play country music backwards? You get your truck back, you get your dog back, you get your house back, you get your wife back....
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

BrassBlower wrote:Barb,

Please consider the satirical, off-beat senses of humor of several people on this forum.

-Jim
If this was in reference to me, I wasn't being the least bit satirical.

Chris
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:Barb,

-Jim
If this was in reference to me, I wasn't being the least bit satirical.

Chris
Then take some aspirin and rest until the fever goes away and you feel more like yourself again.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A view from a slightly different perspective:

At the end of the day, your music stands or falls on its own. What label is stuck on the CD wrapper won't be enough to either save it or break it.

--James
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

BrassBlower wrote:
Then take some aspirin and rest until the fever goes away and you feel more like yourself again.
Yeah, aspirin is nice, but it's not nearly as tasty as beer.

Chris
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

If anything, Chris, I think you were being a bit generous with that 50-years figure. Also, it seems to be the things that are a bit of an acquired taste that have the depth and subtlety to sustain them. It's not easy listening to a Bach Passion, a Garry Mulligan record, or a Michael Coleman record for the first time. But there is enough there to keep you busy for a life time, exploring.
/Bloomfield
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:What do you get when you play country music backwards? You get your truck back, you get your dog back, you get your house back, you get your wife back....
and you sober up.