Anderson whistle tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

p.s. the whistle will be in the mail on Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

It's been a good week for me and whistle tours! I just sent the Tilbury off 2 days ago, and now I get this lovely whistle from Flogging Jason.
My initial impressions are that I like this whistle a lot. You can get a whistle just as good for a lot less money, of course, but having one of nice wood like this makes up for the difference in price, IMHO. The tone is 99% what I look for in whistles. My only complaint would be that the bottom D is slightly sharp and jumps to the next octave too easily, but this is not a big problem with a little breath control. I'd say more about playing characteristics, but I'd just be reiterating others.
I like this whistle enough that I will shortly be looking into exchange rates and wood choices, and seeing how I might be able to justify to the missus an eventual purchase. :boggle:
And as it's only fair to post a clip to add the inevitable grain of salt to my review...
http://www.box.net/shared/8dla8pbzc8
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I do apologize to all for keeping this whistle to long. Just at the time I should have mailed it we had to evacuate from Hurricane Ike. I live on the mainland about 15 miles from Galveston Island. We stayed in Athens
Texas, and the storm did shift enough to only brush Santa Fe with the dry windy side. Lots of trees, fences, blocking roads and power out. Galveston residents are still not allowed to return due to much worse.

I found this whistle to play very pure from the bell note to second B. I found the bottom d to be just right for me, and the breath requirement steady through each note. No extra push or backing off as some of the less costly whistles do. I am not knocking less costly whistles but do feel adaptability in breath control makes more whistles available.
The wood finish is smooth and the holes are drilled clean. The underside of the mouthpiece feels smooth but could use a little more attention on appearance of the next one.
This is definitely a wood whistle to consider.

Once again I apologize for the length of time I had it, and will be mailing it to Mr Nate today.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Tommy, glad to hear you got through Ike ok.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Welshman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Welshman »

Piglets - I joined this one too late.

Keep us posted on the feedback and whistle development - I'm already getting twitchy at the chance of buying a new whistle :-D
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

anderson tour

Post by Mr.Nate »

Greetings to the collective....

It has been very quiet on this thread and I should have checked in sooner to tell everyone that I got the whistle.

I think the reviews are pretty consistant and I don't have too much more to add except my perceptions and comparisons of other whistles I have played.

The tone is soft and a little muted compaired to other whistles that I have played (Busman, Abell, Rose, Weasel, O'Riordan). I don't think it would be loud enough to be heard at a session but an excellent solo whistle or great with a small ensable. It is very sweet all the way up to the high B note.

A tune that I like to play in that register is the Connaughtman's rambles B part. It doesn't take much effort to play in the upper most notes. I would say that the Anderson whistle is the least offensive whistle I have ever played.
Ornaments and speed are no problem with this whistle.
The only suggestions I could make to Brad are to maybe open it up just the slightest amount to get a little fuller tone in the lower octave.
Overall a beautiful whistle. I think the price is a little high for a new maker just starting out.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
arnie

Post by arnie »

I can't wait to get this whistle. One thing strikes me at this moment: while Feadoggie says it's a loud whistle (8+), others say it's quiet. Volume doesn't seem a very subjective thing reviewing a whistle, I'd say.
Ctrl Alt Del

Re: Anderson whistle tour

Post by Ctrl Alt Del »

I've been off the forum for some time (busy year). Anyone know what has happened with this tour?

... now to dusting off my whistles and getting back into some playing in the holiday period
I find that I need rebooting every now and then!
shadowformz

Post by shadowformz »

Merry christmas Greg and good to hear from ya, as far as i know the Red Lancewood whistle is with Aanvil, and he will soon be posting it on to Ted, so it shouldn't be to long and it will be Oz bound.
Life is a dream within a dream.
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi all
Does anyone know whats happening with the tour :-?
Is the whistle still with Ted or has it moved on?
Thanks
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Ted should have the whistle as of last week.

I have a rather large amount of egg on my face... its now dried so its rather unpleasant but it really brings out the tawny color in my hair shirt that I'm also wearing.

If there is a record on how many time a person can flat out forget to do something, well, I might get a prize.

Anyway... a big mea culpa for holding things up.

:tomato:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

Hi all

The US Anderson whistle tour has finally reached good old Blighty :D

I'll keep hold of it for a week or two and give it a good playing and then send it on to Jem who's next I think.

First impressions.......... its quiet, simillar to my Hoover whitecap.

Nick
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

Hi
I and a few others from our little session have had a good play on Brads whistle
so its time to move on.
Jem could you PM me with your details so I can post it on,Thanks.

Thanks also to Brad for allowing us to try his very nice whistle :)

Nick
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just to say ( a little belatedly) that the whistle arrived safely with me last Thursday. Thanks narrowdog. Very pretty looking whistle (lovely wood!) bar previously mentioned cosmetic/finishing defects. I haven't had time for more than a quick (somewhat disappointing) toot. Will comment more fully in due course, though I doubt I'll have much different to say from my previous Anderson review or previous comments in this thread.

Meanwhile, would whoever is next on the list like to pm me their postal address?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Brad, could you confirm that CtrlAltDel is next on the list?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads