CP: Goldfinch Whistle World Tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Welshman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: CP: Goldfinch Whistle World Tour

Post by Welshman »

Hi all,

Just to let everyone know I received the European whistle yesterday and I started having a wee play today.

My initial reactions are quite good. It appears well made, with a very pleasing and comfortable mouthpiece. I was a little disappointed by the rather tacky stick on Goldfinch label, as I felt is rather cheapened an otherwise well-made whistle. it came in a small bag with a nice Goldfinch print on the side, making it look very professional, however, like another reviewer, I would have preferred better stitching around the lace/ tie.

Still early days, but I am very impressed by the tone and volume. I tend to play a lot at home and I was able to play quite comfortably without upsetting my neighbours or family, suggesting it isn't too loud. As for tuning, well I found the slide a bit stiff and I was a bit concerned it might break, but in fairness it proved to be far more durable than I thought and once it was tuned, it held it quite well. having said this, when I saw the thickness of the slide I did panic as it really is quite thin and looks quite fragile. Given the price this would be enough to concern me quite considerably, as I tend to be quite a clumsy devil.

Going to spend the rest of the weekend playing it, so I'll make more comments on Sunday night, but my final comment is to query the price. If I am right in thinking it would market in the UK for about £50 I would like to see some of my comments above addressed as it detracts from an otherwise thoroughly enjoyable whistle with a very pleasant tone. I usually (almost always) play a Dixon and this was a refreshing and quite delightful change.

At the moment (because I have podgy fingers) L3 and R1 are banging into each other - but this may be more to do with me and NOT the whistle. I'll keep you informed.

D
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

Finally, Mr. Safronov responded, saying that the European Tour Whistle hasn't reached it's destination. Looks like, due to some postal service errors, it didn't make it to Russia. Missing in action.

We're still waiting for the last review of UK tourer, Derek. After that we'll sum up, comment and finish the tour.
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

Finally, we decided to finish and sum up the Tours, despite the fact that both of our Tour Goldfinches, unfortunately, haven't returned home (yet?). It seems that one disappeared on it's way to Russia, and we still haven't received the second one from Wales.

Makers' point of view reflections:
- Depending on currency exchange rate we have tuned the price to 30 EUR.
- There are better ways than the brand sticker, but we find it as a temporary solution. But still, it's waterproof and tougher than it looks. We've done some durability tests in this matter.
- Tuning slide is intentionally tight to assure proper sealing and stability even after long and exhausting usage. It can be easly adjusted by the player himself with a sandpaper if causes problems. We have never heard of it being cracked. However, we surely won't forfeit further projects with thicker one!
- The pouch is fully handcrafted as well. ;)

Great thanks to all the tour participants for their time, patience and wisdom. Your opinions are of great value to us and will surely lead to improvement in our humble work.

Just to let You know - we started to build Low D Goldfinches. Sound samples will appear on the website soon. Await further updates!

Ah, and don't forget to check Goldfinch High D Whistle film with Marcin Ruminski from Polish band SHANNON (http://www.shannonband.com/)
Whistle Film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoW7zwudkCA