OT - Lack of Freedom in China

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:
izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Spiders shed.
I have a spider shed, but I don't like to go into it much....
Spiders are actually very gorgeous animals. I find something magical in them. When there is one in the house or at school, I never kill it. I take it outside, and oftentimes people have thought I was just plain crazy for doing it, but there is really no point in stomping them dead just because they've come in. And the ones that don't want to go outside (i.e. live in closets) aren't harmful anyway, for the most part.
My kids don't like to kill them either. They always get a cup and paper and put it outside when they find one. I on the other hand just don't go near them. I don't know what it is....a childhood fear I suppose.
BTW cran, your new avatar made me smile :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I tip my cap to those who can pick up spiders. I can't. They give me the wiggins. Ick. I hate to kill them, but I don't know how to set them free without them running all over the place.
Every couple years or so, when fall or spring comes, an unusually warm wind will blow in and with it, lots and lots of ladybugs. They're EVERYWHERE! Just little hovering, tiny beads in the air. When they land, it's easy to see what they are.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Cranberry wrote:
Spiders are actually very gorgeous animals. I find something magical in them. When there is one in the house or at school, I never kill it. I take it outside, and oftentimes people have thought I was just plain crazy for doing it, but there is really no point in stomping them dead just because they've come in. And the ones that don't want to go outside (i.e. live in closets) aren't harmful anyway, for the most part.

I'm reminded of a Cranberries lyric that goes, "Leave the cobwebs in the closet, cause tearing them out is just not right!"
I never kill spiders either, and I leave all my webs and cobwebs up...inside and outside the house. Call me crazy! ;)
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
glauber

Post by glauber »

caniadafallon wrote:Call me crazy!
OK. You're crazy! :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Thanks, glauber... I always knew that one day someone would recognize me for who I am!

:tomato: (sorry, had to resort to fruit, no trout was about)

/edited for incorrect labeling of object being thrown
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I read that cobwebs are caused by static electricity and have nothing to do with spiders. So you could knock them down and not be bothering the spiders. I just tell spiders, and ants, "guys, not in the house o.k?" -mike
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

caniadafallon wrote:Thanks, glauber... I always knew that one day someone would recognize me for who I am!
But at least you know that you're in the right place! ;)

I finally got to use that line! LOL!
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

Ah yes... to be recognized not only for who I am, but by people who would best know... well, could life be any sweeter? :-D

<--Did y'all see my newest tattoo?? Last frame! Yippee!!!!!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

NZ_Chris wrote:sorry to seem bug-ignorant here ... but spiders shed??
My mistake. I should have said "molt".

Those who don't like spiders, ignore this. Others can click the Spider Molting link at http://www.pbase.com/darwinian/arachnids It's one of my best series--and entirely accidental.

It becomes quite obvious starting with 3855.

The Spiders With Prey section has some neat shots, too.

(By the way, if you have a small screen, "Large" is smaller than "Original".)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Darwin wrote:[Those who don't like spiders, ignore this. Others can click the Spider Molting link at http://www.pbase.com/darwinian/arachnids It's one of my best series--and entirely accidental.
Dar, your pictures are fantastic! You really are a talented photographer. You even made spider molting look good! :wink: Seriously, I looked at a good portion of your work, and they really are beautiful.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

izzarina wrote:
Darwin wrote:[Those who don't like spiders, ignore this. Others can click the Spider Molting link at http://www.pbase.com/darwinian/arachnids It's one of my best series--and entirely accidental.
Dar, your pictures are fantastic! You really are a talented photographer. You even made spider molting look good! :wink: Seriously, I looked at a good portion of your work, and they really are beautiful.
Where's the "blushing and giggling" emoticon when you need one?
Thanks.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Jack

Post by Jack »

caniadafallon wrote:
Cranberry wrote:

I'm reminded of a Cranberries lyric that goes, "Leave the cobwebs in the closet, cause tearing them out is just not right!"
I never kill spiders either, and I leave all my webs and cobwebs up...inside and outside the house. Call me crazy! ;)
I love webs. I think they're works of art comparable to the greatest painters or sculptors ever. When you consider that they're made by those tiny little fragile bugs, it's even more amazing. I like to just stare at them for a long time.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Cranberry wrote:
wheniwascaniadafallon i wrote:
Cranberry wrote:

I love webs. I think they're works of art comparable to the greatest painters or sculptors ever. When you consider that they're made by those tiny little fragile bugs, it's even more amazing. I like to just stare at them for a long time.

They are indeed works of art... I spent an afternoon, not too long ago, watching a lovely green spider build her web start to finish. It was an amazing process that reminded me of the flow of life.

What can I say, it was a rather introspective afternoon. :)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Jack

Post by Jack »

aderyn_du wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
wheniwascaniadafallon i wrote: I never kill spiders either, and I leave all my webs and cobwebs up...inside and outside the house. Call me crazy! ;)

They are indeed works of art... I spent an afternoon, not too long ago, watching a lovely green spider build her web start to finish. It was an amazing process that reminded me of the flow of life.

What can I say, it was a rather introspective afternoon. :)
I've done that, but not for such a long time. When I accidentally walk through a spiderweb, I feel so horrible for it, because I've destroyed something so beautiful.

It pains me that so many people are actually afraid of spiders.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Cranberry wrote:When I accidentally walk through a spiderweb, I feel so horrible for it, because I've destroyed something so beautiful.
Even that is representative of the flow of life, though. Sometimes we start this really great thing, but for whatever reason it comes undone... and because of its undoing, we are able to begin something new with the potential of being even more beautiful.

(I always feel guilty too-- usually because I feel like I cost the spider its dinner ;))
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin