Inexpensive whistle I like Product of Woodnote

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Inexpensive whistle I like Product of Woodnote

Post by hans »

Indeed the Thoman branded Irish Whistle looks like a Smart whistle, same as what Ferris Music offered without the branding.

I got a C and a D from Ferris a while ago, very cheap, and I wanted to see if they would be suitable for kids. I found two basic shortcomings, which made me decide they are not suitable:
1. the G was way too sharp (three finger note on both C and D whistle). It was quite annoying. I had to make hole 4 smaller using epoxy glue, to flatten the note sufficiently.
2. the whistles were very loud indeed requiring a lot of breath. That made the second octave very difficult indeed.

The tone was a bit noisy, husky, breathy, more than the Susato. Some may like this. I don't, but tone is such a personal thing. The matt black finish I find more attractive than the shiny finish of the Susatos.

So even though they look similar to Susatos, they are not copies, and don't have the quality of Susatos. If one is prepared to tweak the tuning of the G, by making hole 4 smaller, then it may be a suitable instrument for some who need an extra loud whistle, to play in the open for instance.
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

[Revival]

Hope you don't mind me reviving an ancient thread but to my shame I recently bought a Recorder Workshop high D whistle, which to my eyes is identical to the Woodnote (which in turn is identical to the Susato)

I love my Susato and wasn't looking for a replacement I was simply curious how a whistle, superficially the same, but a fraction of the cost (£5.39) would perform,

It seems quite well made and I actually prefer the slightly longer beak to the Susato's, the lower octave is passable but the upper octave, has a weird scratchy quality that's quite unpleasant.

My options are; bin it, charity shop, 'tweak' and pass on to a friend.

With regards to the latter option I've read much on here about blunting blades, opening windows, doing things with putty etc, what can I do to this thing to tame the upper octave, it would be nice to reduce the volume as well.
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

Anyone?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Fundamentals first. Examine the head very closely for any flashing, bits of plastic loose or stuck in the wind way or at the end of the wind way. Look under the ramp/blade also.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086