Holiday busking revisited

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-11-21 11:51, madguy wrote:
Lee, could you give a starting note for The Christmas Song, if it's playable on a whistle???

~Larry
Do you mean the one that goes "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire?" If so, you can start that one on D, jumping to octave D. Or, if you want a bit more freedom to dip below the bottom note, start on G, jumping to octave G.

Redwolf
madguy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by madguy »

That's it, Redwolf! Thanks much!!!

~Larry
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

One of my favorite Christmas tunes since I was tiny has been The Huron Carol. It's very haunting and beautiful. Would make a good slow air. I've seen it credited as a French and/or Native American melody. Anyone else know what song I'm talking about?

Joey
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I've editted my Cheat list above to add a few more carols. In addition to that

A'Soulin' is also a great song. I originally heard it from the folk singers, <a href=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SI ... 2904>Peter, Paul, and Mary: In Concert</a>. My problem is that, at the time, I had a nice voice and could sing all three parts (Alto, Tenor, Baritone). The result is that I never figured out the real melody; I was always bounceing between the various parts. Lothlorien does a nice versions of it, <a href=http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/569/569457.html>"A Soaling"</a> on MP3.COM

Hope the update to the cheat sheet helps you move into a joyous holiday season and
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
madguy

Post by madguy »

Lee, you are an amazing guy!!! I was thinking I was the only one here who ever heard of Peter, Paul, and Mary (Mommy)! :smile:

Your list of holiday tunes is invaluable!! :grin:

~Larry
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Larry,
In my teens and twenties, I did all of their songs (14 books, 12 albums). I usually had the guitar parts of both Peter and Paul memorized as well as all three singing parts. It made it nice to sit down with folks and let them sing or play which ever part they knew and I'd fill out the harmony. Simon and Garfunkle, and Lenard Cohen song where also heavy parts of our song list. This old gray hair misses much of the good things about those times. Of course, I would never go back because some of the ugliness was simply horrific.

Glad the Christmas Cheat sheet is helping you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
madguy

Post by madguy »

On 2002-11-21 15:00, LeeMarsh wrote:
Larry,
In my teens and twenties, I did all of their songs (14 books, 12 albums). I usually had the guitar parts of both Peter and Paul memorized as well as all three singing parts. It made it nice to sit down with folks and let them sing or play which ever part they knew and I'd fill out the harmony. Simon and Garfunkle, and Lenard Cohen song where also heavy parts of our song list. This old gray hair misses much of the good things about those times. Of course, I would never go back because some of the ugliness was simply horrific.

Glad the Christmas Cheat sheet is helping you ...
My friend, Simom and Garfunkel have long been favorites of mine... and Leonard Cohen???? I figured I'd only known of him through "underground" radio statiions... Susanne has long been one of my all-time favorite songs.

Thanks again for your help and reminisces!!!

~Larry
DanD

Post by DanD »

On 2002-11-21 14:28, joey_schu wrote:
One of my favorite Christmas tunes since I was tiny has been The Huron Carol. It's very haunting and beautiful. Would make a good slow air. I've seen it credited as a French and/or Native American melody. Anyone else know what song I'm talking about?
Yes - great song! Our group plays it with Mtn. Dulcimer on melody, with guitar and bohdran accompaniment. (Nobody in our group sings, for which are audiences are very gratefull!!) My source says it was written in the Huron language by a French Jesuit priest in the 1700's.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DanD on 2002-11-21 16:24 ]</font>
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I love Peter Paul and Mary! I got a chance to see them in concert about 10 years ago, and it was a wonderful experience.

Their version of "A Soalin'" is actually a couple of different wassailing songs wound together...the title song ("a soul, a soul, a soul cake..."), "Hey Ho, Nobody Home," and "Christmas is Comin'", which is what makes it both a challenge and a joy to sing. It's one arrangement I use in class to show the kids what I mean by "counter melody."

I don't know the Huron Carol...sounds intriguing.

Redwolf
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

Mmmm..... wasail.....
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2002-11-21 10:27, Redwolf wrote:
On 2002-11-21 08:27, hillfolk22 wrote:
How rude of me!

I neglected to thank you for the words.

Thanks Redwolf...

Now I need to work on my Latin :smile:
And I forgot to thank you for the suggestion of the song, which I discovered yesterday sounds absolutely luscious on the whistle. :smile: I'm going to try putting it in a set with "Adam Lay y'Bounden" and "Lullay, My Liking," which are from the same time period and have a similar sound.

Redwolf

I was wondering if you could email me the music to "Adam Lay y' Bounden" and "Lullay My Liking" I am not familiar with those two songs and I have not been able to find a song to play along with it.

I can either open a jpeg or abc.

You can reach me at

hillfolk22@yahoo.com

A Pre-thanks to you.

Laura
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-11-23 13:17, hillfolk22 wrote:
On 2002-11-21 10:27, Redwolf wrote:
On 2002-11-21 08:27, hillfolk22 wrote:
How rude of me!

I neglected to thank you for the words.

Thanks Redwolf...

Now I need to work on my Latin :smile:
And I forgot to thank you for the suggestion of the song, which I discovered yesterday sounds absolutely luscious on the whistle. :smile: I'm going to try putting it in a set with "Adam Lay y'Bounden" and "Lullay, My Liking," which are from the same time period and have a similar sound.

Redwolf

I was wondering if you could email me the music to "Adam Lay y' Bounden" and "Lullay My Liking" I am not familiar with those two songs and I have not been able to find a song to play along with it.

You can reach me at

hillfolk22@yahoo.com

A Pre-thanks to you.

Laura
Will do! May not be until tonight, as I'll have to scan them. They're not scored for whistle, so you may have to play with the key a bit...I haven't had a chance to noodle them out yet (If I do before I send them, I'll include the starting note and any comments I can think of, such as what may need to be half-holed).

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-11-23 13:26, Redwolf wrote:
On 2002-11-23 13:17, hillfolk22 wrote:
On 2002-11-21 10:27, Redwolf wrote: And I forgot to thank you for the suggestion of the song, which I discovered yesterday sounds absolutely luscious on the whistle. :smile: I'm going to try putting it in a set with "Adam Lay y'Bounden" and "Lullay, My Liking," which are from the same time period and have a similar sound.

Redwolf

You can reach me at

hillfolk22@yahoo.com

A Pre-thanks to you.

Laura
Will do! May not be until tonight, as I'll have to scan them. They're not scored for whistle, so you may have to play with the key a bit...I haven't had a chance to noodle them out yet (If I do before I send them, I'll include the starting note and any comments I can think of, such as what may need to be half-holed).

Redwolf
Just sent 'em off. Let me know if you have trouble reading the images, or my somewhat idiosyncratic scribing :wink:

Redwolf

P.S. If you like carols, a really good resource to have on your shelves is "The New Oxford Book of Carols." It's a big, fat book that has just about every carol ever sung in it (including different tunes, where such exist, and interesting historical and performance notes on each). Another great book to have is "Carols for Choirs," which is a treasured resource in the Episcopal Church (most of our music for our famous "Lessons and Carols" services are drawn from it). In addition, if you have an Episcopal/Anglican church in your area that offers a Lessons and Carols service during Advent or Christmastide, it's worth going...you'll often hear obscure carols you've likely never heard before, as well as stock favorites (and it's a low-key service...just readings and music, with no preaching).

(edited to add this postscript)

R.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2002-11-23 16:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2002-11-23 16:05 ]</font>
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I go to one of two churches that share a priest and for the second year we are getting together with anyone else in the two communites who wants to participate, and doing a Christmas Revelry which is fun since we get to do Christmas/Solstice tunes that rarely get done. Both years I've bowed out of playing the organ so I can play whistle/bodhran/tenor drum on some tunes.
Here's some of the tunes that I don't remember seeing listed previously that I play whistle on. (Since I have to play with the organ on many I end up playing several different keys, but mostly sop.D,Bb and Eb, with Low D on the Huron Carol.

Glouchester Wassail
The Holly and the Ivy
The Cherry Tree Carol
The Friendly Beasts
King Herod and the Cock
Brightest and Best
What Wondrous Love is This?
The 12 Days of Christmas
Nova,Nova
The Angel Gabriel
Personet Hodie(I know it was mentioned before, but I wanted to suggest that if you play with someone else that can carry the tune, you can work up a great descant for this one.)
Carol of the Birds(whence comes this rush of wings)
The Wren Song
Silent Night(don't remember if this was mentioned before?)
Here Betwix Ass and Oxen Mild
Sussex Mummer's Carol
(Many of the religous tunes can be found in the 1982 Episcopal Hymnal)

Last year I really got in gear and bummed material from everyone I could think of that sews and made mideval clothing for everyone. This year I've moved up to more elaborate Elizabethan for some, and included 15th century houpelandes to the costumes.The elaborate headgear they wore is also fun to make.

I bet if you had some "costume" that is warm it would bring in even more for you buskers.
The earlier mideval garb is pretty simple to make(lots of info on the web) and the many layers they needed to keep warm in that time period also works in winter for us now.
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Thank you Redwolf,

I will look into that.

And thanks again for the music

:smile:

Laura