New Sweetheart Pro Whistles in plastic [Commercial Content]

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Preferred Profile

1: All plastic with ivoroid beads
7%
2: Plastic with Permali beads
15%
3: Henry Ford model: all black plastic
69%
4: Permali body and barrel with plastic upper
4%
5: Permali body and most of the head with balance in plastic
4%

Total votes: 67

synergy

Post by synergy »

And, when are these going to be available???
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Ballyshannon wrote:Whether silver, gold, or wood, I think the rings would look best "understated", not thick or sticking out like an after-thought add-on, but more low profile and integrated into the contours of the design. As a designer, to me there's a huge difference between adding something on for the sake of adding something on...and creating an integrated work of art.
Originally, as in Baroque recorders, the extra thick rings (whether added on ivory ones, or thickenings of the wood itself) were functional as well as decorative. They were intended to reinforce the ends of the instrument's sections and prevent cracking. Walt's add-ons are appropriate in this context. I think they look great.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Yes, absolutely. Silver rings on all black would be my choice as well. I always thought that was beautiful on that blackwood model you offered long ago.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

so when will these be available
synergy

Post by synergy »

cavefish wrote:so when will these be available
+1
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Since price was never mentioned, I asked Walt about pricing, thinking these poly whistles would be somewhat more affordable than the laminated wood, and was told pricing will be "the same", which I interpret to be $150 ....for a plastic whistle. :o
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Ballyshannon wrote:Since price was never mentioned, I asked Walt about pricing, thinking these poly whistles would be somewhat more affordable than the laminated wood, and was told pricing will be "the same", which I interpret to be $150 ....for a plastic whistle. :o
The VAST majority of the price of a handmade whistle is for the labor, not the cost of the material. Injection molding a whistle out of plastic,or hundreds of them, is not at all the same as starting with a solid rod of the plastic, individually turning it on a lathe, boring it, fitting the head and body sections individually, fitting fipples, hand voicing etc. That's why the pricing is the same or similar. My own polymer whistles are priced the same as my wooden ones,reflecting this hand labor, and I believe that several other makers have the same sort of pricing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

So are these whistles going to be mass produced injection molded or individually hand crafted?
Ben
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

benbrad wrote:So are these whistles going to be mass produced injection molded or individually hand crafted?
Individually hand crafted.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

I was real excited when I first stated reading this thread because I thought that these whistles would sell for much less than usual. However, now I realize that they are the same or even more in price. Whistles are getting more out of reach of the common people. I would love to see some whistle makers produce genuinely affordable whistles that are better made than the very low end whistles that require you to buy so many of just to find a good one. I know the whistles discussed here are "pro" series whistles but I'll bet they could also make some injection molded whistles that would be more affordable and still have this distinctive styling and tone. Susato whistles are still the best (or maybe only ones) in this genre. I know that the top whistle makers produce fine instruments that require care and attention to detail but so many people who are fine players won't have the chance to play them. Even used high end whistles are out of reach these days. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. I hope nobody gets mad about this. I'm not attacking anybody, I'm just feeling sorry for myself I guess. I should probably stop coming here and reading about whistles I can't afford. Okay I feel better now.
Ben
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hi Benbrad! a really fine, utterly affordable instrument is the Syn whistle. I think they run about $45

The Sweetheart Pro, and other wooden and/or non-massed produced whistles , are high end because of the attention put into it by a handful of talented artisans who deserve adequate compensation for their time, as I'm sure you agree. The materials can be relatively inexpensive. But the time it takes to bore, lathe, drill, sand, finish, fit the joint, insert the block and shape the mouthpiece, voice the instrument and pack/ship (that's my job!) takes time. . .as does maintaining the shop, from electricity to insurance.

The fact is, a simple Gen whistle can be WONDERFUL -- as good in sound as any high end. But I hope you have the opportunity to try a high end to see why people will save their dollars and get the instrument of their dreams, hand crafted, and as beautiful to look at and hold as it is to listen to.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

benbrad wrote:I was real excited when I first stated reading this thread because I thought that these whistles would sell for much less than usual. However, now I realize that they are the same or even more in price.
There are several nice whistles on the market for those on low funds.
To mention a few:

Dixon Trad
Anything tweaked by Jerry Freeman
The new soon to be released Blackbird whistle by Jerry Freeman
For just a little more money, the wonderful Thornton or maybe an Impempe.

There are more and I'm sure others will enlighten you, but maybe that would be for a different thread (or do a bit of a search to older posts on the forum).

Owen
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

benbrad...
Being a commom people m'self, I'd LOVE it if copies of the high-end whistles could be injection molded, and sound like the original. I play lows, and fancy the idea of, say, an Overton Low D in heavy plastic...that sounds "cosmic!"

Meantime, I'll keep scrimping the dollars together, and when critical mass occurs... SPRING for another "high-end" beauty.

(One of the Sweet Low Ds, for instance!)

One day at a time.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

Thanks to everyone for the kind and sympathetic replies. I just thought it would be neat if the high end whistle makers could make injection molded copies of their high end whistles if for no other reason than the beutiful looks their whistles have. I'd be willing to bet that they would sell a tremendous amount if they would. I don't see me ever spending $250 - $350 for a whistle. I just can't justify it. I did pay $180 for a whistle once but I don't think I will ever do that again. I got a great whistle for that price (used) but I have felt guilty about paying that much ever since. I feel really selfish about it. My wife would never do that to me as she is very frugal and sensible.
Ben
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, if you know what you're doing you can get the
money back again and even make a profit down
the road. An investment. That's what I tell my wife.