Naked or Barky?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which of the Elderflower Whistles do you prefer?

I like them both, I'm not sure which I prefer.
19%
I like the whistles with the bark on better.
34%
I like the whistles with the bark stripped off better.
42%
I don't like either.
5%

Total votes: 64

JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I think they play like Swayne whistles, but they look like magic wands! I have four of them: three bark-on d's and one bark-off A. I love them. They smell amazing and the bark adds a tangible softness to the surface. I think the maker is impossible to contact by means other than in person, and that's why more people don't have them.
~JessieD
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Dale's mystery wood nymph would look pretty convincing with the bark-covered one in her, uh...., pocket.

jsluder

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:I hope these become more widely available so other people can give them a try.
Me too. I'd love to have one of the barky ones. Very cool. 8)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

IDAwHOa wrote:I have kept in contact with Brigitte about these whistles on a VERY regular basis. Just ask her! :D As a matter of fact it has been a couple of months and I should bug her again (with a carrot of an order maybe?).
Just got a confirmation email from Brigitte. Nothing has changed and may not for some time yet. :x

Barky or nothing!!!! :devil:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
emmline

Post by emmline »

Does the bark not have a tendency to flake off inopportunely?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cynth wrote:Dale's mystery wood nymph would look pretty convincing with the bark-covered one in her, uh...., pocket.

Mystery wood nymph? I thought we determined that she was a man? :-?
John S

Post by John S »

The bark is definitely real and Elder bark once dry is quit hard I know cos I've tried to remove it after seasoning.
Uillean chanter out of Elder is certainly possible, the problem is finding a piece long enough, with enough external diameter and crucially with a small enough internal bore for the reed end.
I've seen pieces with all these variables independently but as yet not all in one piece, but I'm shore if I keep looking I'll find one eventually.
I'm more interested in making a GHB chanter, which is shorter and therefore more likely

I've been collecting and seasoning Elder for 2 years now, and soon I hope to start making whistles. Just for myself to start with, but if there's a demand I my make to sell.

John S
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Cranberry wrote:I thought we determined that she was a man?
Dream on! :lol:
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Cynth wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I thought we determined that she was a man?
Dream on! :lol:
Yeah, it THAT is a man, I am going to need a hormone checkup!!!! :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus