playing sideways

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

I think it's just an ergonomic thing. The right hand is a bit farther away, so if I angle the whistle a bit to the right, my right arm can be a bit less extended, which is a bit more comfortable. The degree of bend of the left arm is hardly affected. I think it works just as well to simply turn the whole head a little to the right, keeping the mouthpiece in the center of the mouth. There's no law that says you have to play keeping your face pointing the same direction as your belt buckle.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

ubizmo wrote:There's no law that says you have to play keeping your face pointing the same direction as your belt buckle.
Image <--- Or your feet. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kothz

Post by kothz »

I'm one of those "Just off centre" kind of players when it comes to the whistle.

When I played in bands, I did it to have a bit more control over where the whistle was in relation to the mic, AND so I could have an ear pointed at where the band was going.

When I play in sessions, I do it to aim the screechy bits at some unsuspecting fiddler, AND so I can have an ear pointed at someone who is driving a set of tunes.

I find it easier to make a little air cushion under my top right cheek that I can use to fill the whistle and circular breathe (breathe circularly?) than if I have the whistle aiming straight out front.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Try playing *really* sideways for fun - like you're playing a flute. The breathiness can be quite nice, but maybe not something to do in public, unless you want to fool the audience!

Stay hoopy,
Mike
Whiddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

When I play, my whistle is almost always pointing straight ahead of me, but my face almost never is...