OK, Exactly What the Heck is "Backpressure?"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

DaleWisely wrote:
Tommy wrote:Just twenty seven minutes? More pratice. :lol:
Unfiltered Camels.

And with that, Ladies and Gentlemen, your servant Dale makes post #3000.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:
Tommy wrote:Just twenty seven minutes? More pratice. :lol:
Unfiltered Camels.

And with that, Ladies and Gentlemen, your servant Dale makes post #3000.
The party's in the Pub. :party:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

At last, thank you Bloomfield! Here I ask for a simple understandable clinical explanation and what do i get - straws and balloons and oboes, oh my! Bloomfield has provided the best explanation - a picture; thank you dear friend. :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Wow! :D I am so proud to be part of this historical moment. :D
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The party's in the Pub. :party:[/quote]

Rounds for everyone. :D When I drink everyone drinks, :D and when I buy, everyone buys. :party: :party: :party: :party: Hold the straws.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

PhilO wrote:At last, thank you Bloomfield! Here I ask for a simple understandable clinical explanation and what do i get - straws and balloons and oboes, oh my! Bloomfield has provided the best explanation - a picture; thank you dear friend. :D

Philo
Because that is the most whistle related picture I have ever seen. :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Tommy, peeplj, your answers helped me. I will continue to ponder this over. IDAwHOa, that is interesting idea because the second one happens to me and I thought it must be my imagination. Bloomfield very helpful too in a different way :lol:. Congrats Dale :party:. I think that oughta about do it.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Aw! ya sure don't get a lot of time to edit these threads before it wont let you back in. I think I misspelled hysterical. :party:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Tommy, you can always get back in by clicking the Edit button on the upper right side of your post. If someone has posted after you, then there will be a message on your post saying you edited it. If no one has posted after you, there won't be a message that you edited it. If you want people to know why you changed something, you can just say"Editing for spelling error" or you can just not worry about it. I may have misunderstood what the problem was.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ja, I think you missed the joke der.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Backpressure - resistance of air admittance. Could be expressed as impedance.

Trumpet - High Backpressure
Clarinet - High Backpressure
Flute - Low Backpressure
Bagpipes - High Backpressure - needs over 5 inches water column pressure
Basson - Extreme Backpressure

If you blow air into a whistle and it freely flows througth the instrument with almost no resistance, then you have low backpressure.
If you feel that flow of air is impeded that you have to push just a little to get it through, then you have backpressure.

Some backpressure is good because it gives you better breath control. You'll notice that good backpressure in whistle will be easier to separate out the octaves.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Denny wrote:ja, I think you missed the joke der.
Yes, I sure did. I can't go looking up that far on a page for a joke. I'm just too lazy for that. :lol: I guess the party hat should have tipped me off.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Oboe- Crazy Extreme Back Pressure.

Obviously everyone will like a different amount I like my Burke for tone but I actually enjoy playing my Syn Eb or my Cheiftian E as both have pretty high back Pressure. My next whistle is a Bleazy Blackwood supposed to have high back pressure good for me the Bassoon and Bagpipe player.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Cynth wrote:Tommy, you can always get back in by clicking the Edit button on the upper right side of your post. If someone has posted after you, then there will be a message on your post saying you edited it. If no one has posted after you, there won't be a message that you edited it. If you want people to know why you changed something, you can just say"Editing for spelling error" or you can just not worry about it. I may have misunderstood what the problem was.
Thank you Cynth for your kindness. Denny is correct.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Let me see if I've got this right.
The size of the hole you blow through for flute (lip appeture) small whistle, and trombone are all about the same, but the resonance of the instrument actually pushes back (the balloon effect) while you push air through a hole (the straw effect). This is different for every instrument.

Trombone can produce ridiculous sound levels, and physics says that sound energy has to come from somewhere. This is why, in the last bits of Die Valkure or Mars brass players regularly rupture small blood vessels. Many feel that thinning the blood before playing acts as a prophylactic against microheammorages (sp!) and pneumothorax. Beer can save hour life.

None of this fully explains the Generation G whistle. I tried welding with it, and it worked like a hot damn until my fingers burst into flame.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.