NEW! .4K Writing Competition: A Season to Be Brief

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

FJohnSharp wrote:Creepy.
I agree :o Especially since I can see myself in that one (to a certain extent anyway)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Ok. I really don't know how you people are doing it. Everything I attempt is well over the .4 K limit. AUGHHHHH!!! When I write, the piece has a mind of it's own . . . I don't know what the next sentence will be, let alone how it's going to end. The thing just keeps going until it's finished. And by then, as you've seen, it's too late. Perhaps I'll try a "short" character sketch or limit the scene to just dialogue. Now all I need is a story idea . . .

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Will O'B wrote:Ok. I really don't know how you people are doing it. Everything I attempt is well over the .4 K limit. AUGHHHHH!!! When I write, the piece has a mind of it's own . . . I don't know what the next sentence will be, let alone how it's going to end. The thing just keeps going until it's finished. And by then, as you've seen, it's too late. Perhaps I'll try a "short" character sketch or limit the scene to just dialogue. Now all I need is a story idea . . .

Will O'Ban

It's really hard to keep it under 400. What I try to do is not think of too big a story. Something very small, a moment that needs illuminating.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
emmline

Post by emmline »

It comes from years of beating back the clutter of 5 other people...one learns to be ruthless.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

FJohnSharp wrote:
It's really hard to keep it under 400. What I try to do is not think of too big a story. Something very small, a moment that needs illuminating.
Precisely what I have been trying to do lately. Unfortunately, the moment requires further clarification, then it doesn't stand on it's own at that point in time, which leads to another moment, which . . .

I think that right now I'm just going through writer's fatigue. Can't think straight. Goodbye for now.

Will O'Ban

Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I know the 400 word limit is hard. Makes it fun, though. Just really edit it down to the bare bones, don't be afraid of the meaning that will evolve. Just to show you, here is your last post, edited down a bit:

BEFORE:
Will O'B wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:
Precisely what I have been trying to do lately. Unfortunately, the moment requires further clarification, then it doesn't stand on it's own at that point in time, which leads to another moment, which . . .

I think that right now I'm just going through writer's fatigue. Can't think straight. Goodbye for now.

Will O'Ban
AFTER:
Will O'B wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:
Precisely.

Can't think straight. Goodbye.

Will O'Ban
From 50 down to 5. :)
/Bloomfield
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Thanks, Bloo. You can tell when I'm exhausted . . . the brain shuts down. Time to pull out Papa Hemingway for inspiration. Sit in a clean well-lighted place and read Hills Like White Elephants.

Cheers,

Will O'Ban

FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

And 43 words
Bloomfield wrote:I know the 400 word limit is hard. Makes it fun, though. Just really edit it down to the bare bones, don't be afraid of the meaning that will evolve. Just to show you, here is your last post, edited down a bit:
Becomes 20

400 word limit, hard. Fun, though. Edit to bare bones, don't fear an evolving meaning. See your last post, edited:

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

There used to be a e-zine that featured fiction whose word count was strictly in the progression 2,4,8,16,32,64,128 etc. It could be anywhere in the progression. You'd find youself adding words to get to 4096.

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

bump

Suburban Symphony
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Entry (399 words) :) Will O'Ban

Jonah

". . .do you need help getting home?"

The boy stood, frozen, staring dumbly at the crack running underneath his mismatched shoes.

"Look, if you don't talk to me I can't help you. . . Do you live around here?" The officer knew better than to ask. This was a cricker on the wrong side of town. He didn't need someone telling him the obvious. Cars slowed as they drove past and the people inside stared at the boy staring at his mismatched shoes.

A second police car stopped. The fat man inside rolled down the window. "What's going on, Sherlock?" the fat policeman asked. He saw the boy standing stiffly on the sidewalk. "What's he doing here?"

"Don't know. Can't get him to talk to me," the first policeman said.

"Hey, boy! What's your name?" The boy never raised his face to acknowledge the fat policeman. "Christ, a retard and a cricker," the fat policeman said. "Even my stupid hound looks at me when I talk to him."

"Maybe he doesn't live near Pilcher Creek . . . that's pretty far from here," said the first policeman. Pilcher Creek was a stagnant body of water at the south edge of the town. It was where the town drained its sewage, and its terrible odor inspired the locals to call it "sh*t Creek." Those who lived around its banks in the dirt-floor shacks were known throughout the town as "crickers."

"Don't be ridiculous, Sherlock," the fat policeman said with a sour face. "I can smell the little f*rt all the way over here!" He glanced at the traffic in his rearview mirror. "The question is . . . what are you going to do with him?"

The first policeman shook his head and looked down at his freshly polished shoes. "Don't know. Guess I'll take him back to the station. Someone there might get him to talk." His stomach wrenched at the thought of sitting in the police car with the boy's odor.

"Well you better think up something fast. The poker game starts in just over an hour, and you're not crappin' out at the last minute again. The old lady's birthday's next week and I need your money." Then the fat policeman drove away.

The first policeman helped the boy with the mismatched shoes into his car. When all the windows were opened he drove downtown.

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I'll give it a go!

Make Haste

The sky darkens,
The heart warms,
Make haste my love,
There are storms pending,
Both that are natures way.

One is accepted.
The other, complex, not wanting to complicate.
High, low, winter snows, summer torrents thundering
Describes my love.
Come with man cowering lightening cracking,
Yet, as softly as a spring blossom day.

Make haste my love,
My heart warms,
And the sky darkens.

Mark Bradley
c. 2003
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
emmline

Post by emmline »

By George he's got it! (By George he's got it!)

(Mark, your piece is lovely, very sensual...but I'm referring to Will and his valiant efforts to fit within contest parameters)
Last edited by emmline on Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Inane Entry:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Missing Bit of Orthography

--Now you sit at a loss, again, Nano, only it’s not for any lack of inspiration this go-round. You look up and down and all around, but cannot find it. Possibly it’s hiding? Did it fall into criminal hands? What’s missing you must do without, and such a difficulty isn’t all that daunting, but it’s a royal pain. As if a normal taskload isn’t fair play. Criminy, you say inwardly. It’s probably right in front of you, laughing at you for a blind fool. You sigh, and carry on anyway, trusting that it’ll show up tardily, and what with your work all finito and post-fast. Okay. Do it anyway. Show it who’s da man. You can slog by without it, no prob. So far, so good, anyhow, but not that you can show anything worth writing about…as if it counts for much. A goal is a goal, and if Naysay and Pishtosh complain or badmouth your opus, too bad. You simply can’t worry about that ilk and what bilious carping may accompany such a chorus of sniping yobs. Put that away from your thoughts, and do as worthy a job of it as you can. Okay, so your imagination is basically chasing its own tail, spinning in a tight loop, but a goal’s a goal, and that’ll do for you. Oh, blast. Stop kidding around. It’s missing, no ignoring that fact, and you want it back. Now. Oh, hang it up, Bud, you think. Stop blocking the doorway and graciously bow out, wouldja? Alrighty, alrighty…it’s still missing, but you can say you did it anyway. Woohoo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Well, I think I did it, anyway. My eyes are killin' me.)
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Naysay and Pishtosh
Ya' want me to take those guys out for ya' Nano?