Tin Whistles in Schools & School Tin Whistle Bands

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peewit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Tin Whistles in Schools & School Tin Whistle Bands

Post by Peewit »

I have started Bill's program at my school in Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia. I teach music to seven classes of grade 4 and grade 5, and they are all (180 students) playing the Clarke Meg pennywhistle from Bill's beginner book. There's a huge level of enthusiasm and involvement, and it's a joy for me to teach. :D

I have insisted that they must play with the left hand on top, and there are a few who say it feels funny or whatever, but we've had three lessons so far and I don't have to ask too many to switch hands any more.

Bill has been wonderfully helpful with questions or problems. I hope this program takes off, because it's a pleasure for the students and for the teacher. I told a group of my friends about it today and they want to try it too (after they asked me what a pennywhistle is!) :lol:
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

This sounds like a great idea. Best wishes for it's success.

I especially enjoyed reading about the Golden Eagles in NY. Hopefully this program will make more moments like that happen around the world.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

I enjoyed the video of the Golden Eagles marching band. That was great!

I have downloaded the CD for use with my own children, as a supplement to the tin whistle lessons they have in their weekly tutorial sessions. We played "Merrily We Roll Along" together today and they are sounding great! Thank you!

It sounds like homeschoolers would have to band together in larger groups to get the discount. In our case, since the children are getting the music theory from another source, we are doing fine with just the CD dowload. Unfortunately, our tutorial program already sells tin whistles (they are Clarke whistles, though--"Mel Bay by Clarke") through their "official" bookstore, and our director can't share deals that would compete with the program's earnings, even though this is much better since it comes with an instructional booklet, and at a better price. I'm kind of bummed. Next year, I will share this with families new to the program unofficially and tell them about the group discount by word of mouth. Thank you for offering it!
Bill Ochs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bill Ochs »

Mockingbird wrote: I have downloaded the CD for use with my own children, as a supplement to the tin whistle lessons they have in their weekly tutorial sessions. We played "Merrily We Roll Along" together today and they are sounding great! Thank you!....It sounds like homeschoolers would have to band together in larger groups to get the discount...Next year, I will share this with families new to the program unofficially and tell them about the group discount by word of mouth. Thank you for offering it!
Thanks so much for your post. I am glad that you and your children are finding the CD download useful. If you are interested in the Pennywhistle for Beginners book, it is available here: http://bit.ly/cyyJbY

I'd be very open to working with groups of homeschoolers, so thanks in advance for your willingness to spread the word. My original Clarke Tin Whistle book, published in 1988, had a following amongst homeschoolers in the early '90s when it was featured in a number of mail order catalogs.

One of the most remarkable unsolicited testimonials I've ever received was a handwritten letter that came one day in the winter of 1991 from a homeschooling mom in Supply, Virginia:

"My son J. has taught himself to play the Clarke Tin Whistle using Bill Ochs' handbook and tape...J. is home schooled and the prospect of providing music education was quite daunting until this remarkable little instrument arrived....At different times, he attempted lessons in trumpet and drums, but failed even to learn to read music...That is what makes his progress with your whistle book and tape so remarkable to me...He is reading music and can execute the trills & furbellows quite well." — E.K.W.

One reason for starting the Pennywhistles for Schools website is that a lot of children are falling through the cracks in the music education system, just like that young homeschooler. He got a tin whistle and there was an almost magical transformation. I am glad that your children are learning to play the instrument. And it is wonderful to see that more music educators are considering the tin whistle as an alternative to the recorder.

Bill Ochs