Low D that takes less air?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JTC111
antispam: No

Re: Low D that takes less air?

Post by JTC111 »

Dain wrote:I have a GG style home-made low D, and just this evening i reduced the height of the windway by half.
To tell me you did it and not tell me how is the ultimate whistle tease. Image
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

JTC111 wrote:
ubizmo wrote:I have the Kerry low D mentioned by the OP, and I agree that it's a wind sucker...
Thanks. In the back of my head I was wondering if maybe it was just my inexperience with the instrument coming through. Glad to know at least one other person feels the same about that whistle.
Well, it could be my inexperience with the whistle coming through!

Ubizmo
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

ubizmo wrote:Well, it could be my inexperience with the whistle coming through!
Have you not read my signature line? Image
Jim

hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Dain wrote:I have a GG style home-made low D, and just this evening i reduced the height of the windway by half.
I am curious: what is the windway height and width now?
And what is it in a MK, if anyone could measure it?
Dain

Post by Dain »

Take your whistle and look through the mouth of the whistle into some light source. You should see lower part of the blade and, beneath it a sliver of light. That's looking though the windway. Now, windway could be either flat or curved, but either way it's rectangular (if it's curved, it is still a rectangle, only curved :D ) . The shorter side is the height, the longer is the width.

Now, as i have home-made whistle of GG style, it includes the windway cap, which is basically a bit of tubing cut lengthwise and mounted on the top. To reduce the windway height, (as the wall of the whistle, which is made of aluminium is thicker than cap which is PVC) all i had to do is to glue a bit of PVC beneath it. It's kinda like Jerry Freeman's underneath blade ramp tweak, only made on underneath the top of windway cap.

Oh and, i would never ever try to tweak some brand-name whistle this way. Despite my initial excitement, the whistle had suffered some unwanted changes, like some serious de-tuning of a certain notes and overall quirkiness. :(
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Dain wrote:Oh and, i would never ever try to tweak some brand-name whistle this way. Despite my initial excitement, the whistle had suffered some unwanted changes, like some serious de-tuning of a certain notes and overall quirkiness. :(
Thanks for that and the explanation. I guess I'll leave it alone and probably sell it down the line sometime to someone with bigger lungs.
Cheers! Image
Jim

Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

ubizmo wrote:I have the Kerry low D mentioned by the OP, and I agree that it's a wind sucker, in terms of volume of air needed in the 2nd octave. I use high G for the wind test, and with a full lungful I can play that note for 8 seconds, remembering to start the count at zero.

Ubizmo

Thirteen seconds for me on the WDSweet Onyx
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

7 seconds with my Kerry low D
9 seconds with my Overton low Eb and low C
12 seconds with my Copeland low F

...and now I need a nap :sleep:
Jim

hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Dain wrote:Take your whistle and look through the mouth of the whistle into some light source. You should see lower part of the blade and, beneath it a sliver of light. That's looking though the windway. Now, windway could be either flat or curved, but either way it's rectangular (if it's curved, it is still a rectangle, only curved :D ) . The shorter side is the height, the longer is the width. (
Dain, I meant: what are the measurements for height and width of the windway. :)
My own standard low D has a windway which is 13mm wide and ~1.2mm high, making a cross section area of ~16mm². The windway cross section (or the smallest cross section of it) determines how much air flow one can get with a given pressure.

The test how long one can play a steady high G depends on the player, so it does not make much sense to compare results from different people. Both my Burke low D "Viper" and my standard Bracker low D behave the same: ca 10 sec for high G, ca 20 sec for low G on one of my breaths.
Dain

Post by Dain »

Windway of my low D was 2mmx14mm, now it's somewhere about 1.3mmx14mm. So it's pretty close to commercial ones, i guess... :-?
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

I recently acquired a Dixon aluminum body low D, and did the high G test. I got 11 seconds, as compared to 7 on the Kerry, so quite a difference.

As you might expect, the Dixon is a tad quieter than the Kerry, and the bell note is a bit more fragile. On the other hand, the Dixon has a nice touch of chiff and slight "roughness" of timbre, which I find pleasing, and a generally sweet sound.

As much as I like the Kerry, the way it drains the lungs in the 2nd octave is a bit off-putting. With the Dixon, I feel like I have considerably more phrasing options.

Ubizmo
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

ubizmo wrote:I recently acquired a Dixon aluminum body low D, and did the high G test. I got 11 seconds, as compared to 7 on the Kerry, so quite a difference....As much as I like the Kerry, the way it drains the lungs in the 2nd octave is a bit off-putting.
I wonder if there's anyone who owns that Kerry low D that doesn't consider it a beast to blow (metaphorically). Perhaps scuba divers were the target consumer? If I'm understanding the term back pressure (and it's very possible, if not likely, that I'm not), I'd say the Kerry has about as close to none as you're gonna find.
Jim

Dain

Post by Dain »

Well, if it's the similar design to that of Kerry Songbird D (basically, the blade is made by sticking another tube into the mouthpiece and sharpening it's rim), it is very very hard to blow, in the case of low D i'd say impossible. :(
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

From what I've seen in low D's, you pretty much get what you pay for. Seems to be true in flutes, too. High D whistles --- well, I won't go there right now.

The advice I wish I'd gotten is to save up first and buy top-'o-the-line. It's cheaper in the long run, and saves tons of effort.

In low D's, I've settled on an MK, and recommend them highly. There are other good ones, but don't go looking for bargains. Spend the money, and get it over with. Then just move on, and concentrate on learning and playing.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The windway on my MK is a hair over 1mm high, 11mm wide, and 34mm long.

It's quite amazing how much volume the MK puts out with so little air usage.

I'm a piper, and playing my MK is like playing a set of pipes with which everything is air-tight: you get maximum out for minimum in.

By comparison, playing many other Low Ds is like playing a set of pipes with a leak somewhere.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle