I know absolutely nothing, or at best very little...(help?)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-10 14:30, spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
On 2003-02-10 13:53, 2nd Wind wrote:
I may go there, but it's still kind of far away. The reason I go to eBay instead of many of the other sites that sell whistles is because I don't have a credit card(Thank God), and eBay will let me pay via money order..

Hello & welcome to your newfound addiction that will soon take over your life if you let it. Take a stroll over to The Whistle Shop. They have bunches of inexpensive whistles that you should start on. Do a little searching here in the forum for opinions, praises, & dislikes for whichever whistle appeals to you the most. More importantly for you, they offer the option to send a money order :smile: I made a purchase a few weeks ago...it was a pleasure doing business with them & I will be back. Good Luck!

In no way affiliated with The Whistle Shop. Just a satisfied customer that's all.
Yes! Try the Whistle Shop. If you are prepared to spend about $90-100, I'd recommend the Musicians Starter Set: Two whistles, two CDs and two books, one of which has fingerings under the notes at the beginning of the book, to get you back into reading music. I got this, and it's been really great, and the whistles are both very satisfying to play.

Robin
Wow! That IS a nice package! Both books are great (one is a tutorial with a lot of tunes, and the other is a wealth of really good tunes), and the two whistles are distinctive enough to give you quite a range. The Whistle Shop put a lot of thought into that particular bundle.

I third (or fourth) The Whistle Shop recommendation, by the way. Their service is excellent.

Redwolf
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The best way to learn?

1) buy a whistle
2) buy a tutorial
3) stay off the internet
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Hi Touw and welcome to a great new rewarding hobby!
Now, there's not much more I can tell you that's already been said. Only this much: Listen to LOTS of irish and scottish music. Listen to it well. Soon you will "know" how the tunes have to sound for them to sound celtic-y.
I myself can't read music either, not that that's a good thing, I wish I could, but I'm too lazy to learn it. What I'm saying is that you can play tunes without knowing how to read music, if you can HEAR well.
If you do want to consider learning by ear (as well) then I can recommend an excellent software. It's called the amazing slowdowner. there's a trial version on the net, if you wanna order it, it costs 40bucks. It's really great, check it out:
http://www.ronimusic.com/

Have fun buddy!!
2nd Wind

Post by 2nd Wind »

On 2003-02-10 14:24, Bala wrote:
I second The Whistle Shop. I've gotten several whistles from them, and they have excellent service and carry a great assortment of whistles. I'd stay away from Ebay for inexpensive whistles. I'm sure there's the occasional deal, but most of the time they're overpriced.
You are right on with that one. I was bidding on two whistles.. C & D Clarke on Ebay, when I started looking other places for prices before I ended up paying too much. Ebay lost to the whistle shop by at least $6 - $8! I won't be doing my inexpensive whistle buying at Ebay ever again. Just maybe drop by there for a rare score on a high-ender that one of you C&F people have put up there :smile:
The woven wood beckons...
- Uriah
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2003-02-10 14:37, touw wrote:
To prove that I've forgotten EVERYTHING, what's the difference between a D and a C or A, or B, etc?
The letter refers to the bell note or lowest note on the whistle. So on a D whistle the lowest note is D, and the key is D. On a C whistle, it's C, and so forth. The rest of the notes are based on that key.

So a D whistle plays a D scale: D E F# G A B C# D
A C whistle plays a C scale: C D E F G A B C

You can get other notes (meaning sharps, flats, naturals) out of them depending on your fingering and technique, but those are the notes they are designed to play.
dk_cameron

Post by dk_cameron »

5) Reading music will speed you up at first, but slow you down in the long run. Use the crutch carefully.

How is reading music a crutch? What other way is there to play music? Do you mean play by ear or what?
Kelhorn Mike

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

The best advise by far is Tony's.
Buy a whistle, (any whistle in -D-)
buy a tutorial (you can get something
useful out of any book)and dedicate
yourself and get of the internet and the rest will take care of itself. The abundance of "opinions" here will
just confuse you. This is from someone in the
"business" selling whistles and books and I'm
not trying to sell you my whistles or books.

Kelhorn Mike
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-10 16:20, Kelhorn Mike wrote:
The best advise by far is Tony's.
Buy a whistle, (any whistle in -D-)
buy a tutorial (you can get something
useful out of any book)and dedicate
yourself and get of the internet and the rest will take care of itself. The abundance of "opinions" here will
just confuse you. This is from someone in the
"business" selling whistles and books and I'm
not trying to sell you my whistles or books.

Kelhorn Mike
I might amend that a little to "don't spend too much time on the internet." I do think you can learn a lot from a forum such as this, if you're willing to wade through a lot of opinion (and we've all got 'em)...and it's nice to have the support when you think you're never, ever going to get up to speed :smile:. I've learned a lot here, I know. You don't want to spend too much time on-line, however, or you'll get bogged down in suppositions and never have time to practice!

Redwolf