High-end whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: High-end whistles

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:So it's not very fast. Even a Vespa scooter would do nicely. Of course, the observer has to agree not to listen until you accelerate to a constant speed. You also have to drive directly at the listener, and finish playing the tune just before you kill them.
Thanks for that. Now I'm daydreaming of being mowed down by Andrea Corr. What a way to go.
Mockingbird
antispam: No

Post by Mockingbird »

While anticipating a nice Freeman whistle soon, I've been plugging away with this Clarke, and trying not to be too discouraged at the "40 years of wandering" before reaching the Promised Land, or at least its outskirts. Part of me thinks if I ever learn to play tolerably on a cheapie, maybe I'll be able to play anything nicer tolerably *well.* On the other hand, the quandary of not knowing whether/when it's just me, or me + the whistle, or entirely the whistle's fault makes me want the upgrade yesterday (three weeks and counting!).

I might do an experimental purchase a different make of "cheap" for one of the kids before next school year's tin whistle instruction, to, um, replace the one that fell victim to the toddler. Yeah, that's why...
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve Bliven wrote:I find myself wondering why none of the whistle makers on the board haven't chimed in with "The whole idea of INexpensive pennywhistles doesn't appeal to me." :devil:

Best wishes.

Steve
Scroll back to page two. ''Syn Whistles'' had some input, and he makes a very fine D & C set.

Walden plays more ocarina than whistle. Soooooooo........... looks like he is just trolling for fun. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
TC

Post by TC »

Ocarina, eh?
I hear they can cost a pretty penny.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Aaron, where are you?
zippydw

Post by zippydw »

I have a Michael Burke high D. I also have coffee cups full of cheapies.

I have not purchased any cheapies since I got the Burke. It is like going to heaven after wasting time and money on Chinese Generations and the like. It seems much worse lately. 10 or so years ago the off the shelf ones played well. Now there is no excitement to picking up a whistle on a lark....they all squak, squeek etc.

On my every once in a while whistles in every key imaginable, I always settled for Susatos, not too expensive. But last St. Pats borrowed an O'Riordan low G. It is very hard to go back to the lonely susato after that. It is so shrill by comparison.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

zippydw wrote:Chinese Generations
What? Fact-check please.

Good for you for preferring Burkes. While I recognize that lots of good musicians like these whistles, I personally can't stand them, and have only played one (an older model) that responded well and wasn't (too) overbearing. I have played many of these, because of how many people like them, and I have yet to find one that plays as well as my off-the-shelf Gen and Feadog.

(Edit: W T F has a fun alternate when posted :D)
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya, that Dale sure is a corker :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

zippydw wrote:I have a Michael Burke high D. I also have coffee cups full of cheapies.

I have not purchased any cheapies since I got the Burke. It is like going to heaven after wasting time and money on Chinese Generations and the like. It seems much worse lately. 10 or so years ago the off the shelf ones played well. Now there is no excitement to picking up a whistle on a lark....they all squak, squeek etc.

On my every once in a while whistles in every key imaginable, I always settled for Susatos, not too expensive. But last St. Pats borrowed an O'Riordan low G. It is very hard to go back to the lonely susato after that. It is so shrill by comparison.
There really is nothing comparable to an O'Riordan G; I have a Traveler, and it's simply in a league of its own.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
walrii

Post by walrii »

MTGuru wrote:
hoopy mike wrote:The other option would be to use the Doppler effect.
What's needed is a whistle transposition track, with speed detection for automatic earplug removal, and a listener's pre-impact ejection seat at the end. Simple.
Don't forget the amplifier so the volume stays constant as the distance decreases. A couple times through AABB takes what, a minute? 43 mph is 63 fps so a tune must start at least 3791 feet from the listener. A couple stadium speakers with a mongo amp might work. Better swap the Vespa for a '64 drop-top Caddie.
hoopy mike wrote:Now I'm daydreaming of being mowed down by Andrea Corr. What a way to go.
Andrea Corr in a Caddie, hair blowing, speakers blaring - quite a picture.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Oh, my goodness! What in the world?

(I had to find out.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Oh, my goodness! What in the world?
Just a goofy secondary thread running through this one, Jerry. I'm voting for Andrea to use a Freeman tweaked whistle, although hoopy mike should probably have the final say, him being the one getting schwacked and all.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Quite amusing, eh Jerry?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Indeed.

Do you know of any others?

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't troll.

I like Jerry's tweaked whistles very much. They are some of the best I've ever played. You would be misreading me completely if you thought I was speaking against these, or against mid-priced whistles, in general.

It is the whistles that cost hundreds of dollars that bother me. The ones people get on waiting lists for. It just seems... it's not really something I can relate to. That's all.
Reasonable person
Walden