I'm crushed ... and so is my Dixon trad!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waltcamp45
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: I'm crushed ... and so is my Dixon trad!

Post by waltcamp45 »

Torrin Riáin wrote:Terrible luck, crushing whistles, a man I know once ran over a Burke whistle in his car! It was never the same again...

Best of luck!
I initially misread "a man I know once" as "I once" ... I was thinking, "Wow, you ran over a Burke whistle in Michael Burke's car? What were you doing in his car, and where was he at the time?"

Must ... read ... carefully ...
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I lost a newly acquired Burke Brass Session D before NewYear. I went to town to pick up my son, and when I came home the whistle was not in my bag. I went back to town and looked and asked around, nothing! I was devastated.

A week later I read in our community advertiser that someone had found a whistle. It was found by a neighbour on the narrow lane a few steps from my home! It must have slipped out of the bag when I stepped into the car. I was overjoyed receiving it back, in its padded pouch. But the tube was crushed! A car must have gone over it, perhaps even myself? Still, mouthpiece and barrel were fine, just a crushed tube. I straightened it out as good as I could, and it plays as before.

I am most grateful for my neighbour, and for the padded pouch!
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I sat on a whistle one dark night at a festival and snapped the head right off. Now I never, ever, ever put a whistle down where there is a chance something could happen to it.

It's a painful lesson to learn. My thoughts are with you.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Infernaltootler wrote:I sat on a whistle one dark night at a festival and snapped the head right off. Now I never, ever, ever put a whistle down where there is a chance something could happen to it.

It's a painful lesson to learn. My thoughts are with you.
That would make for a great Halloween story ... "It all began one dark, dark night at a festival. The night air was filled with the sounds of music, laughter, and gaiety -- until one man's anguished cry drowned all the merriment."

Riveting stuff! :D
shatfield

Post by shatfield »

Walt........the question everyone would want to know in your story would be..............was the anguished cry in the key of D, Eb or low D.......... :shock:

steve
Just call me a working class Renaissance Man (in other words a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none)
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

My Mellow Dog arrived today, and it's an absolute stunner! It certainly takes the sting out of the loss of my Dixon, which -- despite being bang back into shape -- isn't the whistle it once was. I'll either order another body from Tony or see about combining his cap with a Generation or Walton.

Meanwhile, I'm 100% satisfied with my Mellow Dog and can't believe it's taken me this long to get one.

Anyone who's been thinking of taking the mellow plunge: do it! You'll be thrilled ... and in the unlikely event you're not, you can sell it to me (give my clumsiness, it would be smart of me to stash away a spare!).
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

waltcamp45 wrote:see about combining [the Dixon head] with a Generation or Walton.
Just keep in mind that the Dixon head is slightly longer and fatter than a Gen type head. It will fit on a 1/2 inch D tube with a little Teflon tape, but will also extend the blade-to-bell length around 12 mm. Which actually gives you a usable Db whistle, with a little putty in the bell to choke the lower notes flat.

Or you could try cutting down a Gen tube to match the shorter Dixon tube.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

MTGuru wrote:
waltcamp45 wrote:see about combining [the Dixon head] with a Generation or Walton.
Just keep in mind that the Dixon head is slightly longer and fatter than a Gen type head. It will fit on a 1/2 inch D tube with a little Teflon tape, but will also extend the blade-to-bell length around 12 mm. Which actually gives you a usable Db whistle, with a little putty in the bell to choke the lower notes flat.

Or you could try cutting down a Gen tube to match the shorter Dixon tube.
Thanks! I hadn't thought about that. I'll consider my efforts a learning exercise instead of a bona-fide whistle-improving endeavor.