Wooden Whistle - $5.95 from Elderly

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gary
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Gary »

I ordered two of these wooden recorders from Elderly. http://www.elderly.com and intended to plug the holes as necessary and re-drill it into a 6 hole whistle. I wanted to try a wood whistle without dropping a $C note. The hardest part of whistle making is the fipple head. So, I figured if I destroyed the tube, I could at least use the head for another homebrew whistle.

As you can see from the picture, this is not one of those recorders with double low holes. It is a two piece instrument, it’s tunable and appears to be made of ash. The finish looks like Urethane. There is a nice cork seal and it is in the key of C. It comes with a swab, plastic bag and cardboard box. It is manufactured in China.

I had to separate it about 3/16” to get the bell note in tune. I plugged the rear thumbhole and top finger hole with a piece of wood dowel and touched up the finish with a dab of Superglue. It was slightly flat on the F, G and A. Opening up the holes with a drill bit brought it into tune.

So, if you want to experiment with a wooden whistle, and like to work with your hands, here’s a easy little project for ‘ya. The right hand third finger is offset and very comfortable. It has a lovely wooden tone.

Non- commercial statement: I have no affiliation with Elderly, Super Glue or China.

Peace,
Gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gary on 2002-09-20 10:03 ]</font>
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Looks like an interesting project. Is the bore tapered?

The holes in the picture look to be squared instead of round... is it the picture or are they really squared?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Tony,

Yes it has a tapered bore and the holes are round. I forgot to mention that the fipple blade was unfinished and I sealed it with mineral oil on a cotton swab as well as touching up the redrilled holes.

Gary
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-09-18 09:55, Tony wrote:
The holes in the picture look to be squared instead of round... is it the picture or are they really squared?
I think that's a side effect of the slanted lines in the background and the grain. :smile:
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The human eye can be tricked by the diagonal lines... but not the camera.

Cut a hole in a sheet of paper and hold it to the screen. The recorder holes look squared, including the ones on the box. It might have something to do with software if the image was compressed. Wierd huh ?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I was actually looking for those inexpensive wooden soprano recorders.

Did you notice that they list the Ralph Sweet whistles as recorders?
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Oh, man! They're already gone. I just went there to order a couple, and they're no longer listed!
Reasonable person
Walden
Gary

Post by Gary »

Walden,

The recorder is distributed by Schylling toys of http://www.shylling.com but, I do not see them on their site anymore.

They are listed here, though:
http://www.msigeneralstore.com/catalog_search.htm Search for "recorder."

Look for toy stores in your area that carry Schylling toys.

Good luck!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Yeah. I found them on some other sites. But wasn't sure they were sites I trusted.
Reasonable person
Walden
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Two things you could do here.

1. Saw dust and super glue to seal up the tonehole.
2. Scupley Clay plugs glued into toneholes to seal them up.

After this, you could use the Hoekje spreadsheet to enter the toneholes and estimate the bore diameters of each hole (within reason). Although the spreadsheet is for straight bores, it will get you in the ballpark. Just drill undersized to start with.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Daniel, that is so cool! Where can I get the Hoekje spreadsheet?

I enjoy the wooden C I made and want to work on the second recorder to make it a D.

I figure I could shorten it to D easy enough, but re-spacing the holes sounds difficult.

TIA,

Gary
Whitmores75087

Re: Wooden Whistle - $5.95 from Elderly

Post by Whitmores75087 »

There's also a Schylling Tin Whistle. Metal tube in bright colors: Red, Blue or Yellow. Metal is sturdy as a Generation and the paint looks like it will last, even in my hands. Plastic mouthpiece. Mouthpiece is very slightly more "rubbery" than you get with most whistles, which may mean it will be less prone to cracking. Mouthpiece comes off easily after hot water treatment. Apply some lube when putting it on again, as it's pretty tight. There's lots of "play" for wide tuning adjustment.

The whistle has bad tone out of the box, but can be tweaked into a decent instrument. From looking at it and tooting it in the store I could tell it was reasonably in tune. Got it home and it was surprisingly in tune, especially C natural. louder than a Feadog or Generation, after I had tweaked it. Mine can go well into the third octave (ouch!) which allows me to play the reel Johnny's Wedding (third octave D crops up a few times) without a lot of force or bad tone. I had to tape down the B hole because it was a bit sharp and I drilled out the F# hole a tiny bit because it was flat. I got one at Cracker Barrel for $2.99 or you can order them from Schilling web site for about $3.50. I plan on playing it at church tomorrow, with my wife playing harp.
One tweak i use that helps cheap whistles to sound better is to take a small not-too-sharp blade (keychain penknife) and dig it in about 4 or 5 spots across the blade of the whistle. I use all my strength and it goes in about one or two millimeters. Besides the Schylling, I've done this on several Feadog's and always got better sound. "improvement" may be just imaginary, but it hasn't hurt any.
Short bio: 1952-
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Hmmm... might tempt me into experimental whistle tampering. I have a UK source (maybe for a different product?) that lists three sizes: 12, 20, 32 cm. Now isnt that easier than all those silly letters.

Not only simpler - but one for each age group. Instant harmonies. Bliss.

Phill
Denny

Post by Denny »

:shock: this thread has been dead fer 7 years :shock:

zombie alert!!!
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

DrPhill wrote:Hmmm... might tempt me into experimental whistle tampering. I have a UK source (maybe for a different product?) that lists three sizes: 12, 20, 32 cm. Now isnt that easier than all those silly letters.

Not only simpler - but one for each age group. Instant harmonies. Bliss.

Phill
Well, maybe. How does a six hole recorder sound? Does the chiff and fipple comparison http://www.chiffandfipple.com/norelco.html need revision?