The Generations Test!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
giedosst

The Generations Test!

Post by giedosst »

Hi all!

Just got a red-headed Generations whistle set and was wondering how one goes about testing to see if the whistles are duds or the few rare good ones? As far as I can tell the D, Bb, C and F all play pretty decently, but what do I need to look for to see if these are keepers?
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Generations Test!

Post by hoopy mike »

giedosst wrote:Hi all!

Just got a red-headed Generations whistle set and was wondering how one goes about testing to see if the whistles are duds or the few rare good ones? As far as I can tell the D, Bb, C and F all play pretty decently, but what do I need to look for to see if these are keepers?
I'd try playing them...
chris_coreline
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

with factory whistles if you can get a 3rd octave D without killing everyone in a three mile radius you generally on to a winner, or at least somone comfortable in the mid-field.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Most Gens are fine after the usual tweaks. My guess would be that they are all keepers.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

AAArrr - I remember adding my 2 pennies on this!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42203&start=0&hilit=Magen

Of course, most of the links have long ago faded into digital heaven. Worth a look.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

chris_coreline wrote:with factory whistles if you can get a 3rd octave D without killing everyone in a three mile radius you generally on to a winner
Of course, if your whistles fail this test, in the aftermath you can play them without fear of disturbing your neighbors. Even rather distant neighbors.
Adrian wrote:Most Gens are fine after the usual tweaks. My guess would be that they are all keepers.
Good heavens, zombie Adrian lives. Hi, Adrian! Image
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

You don't necessarily need to "look" for anything. Play the whistles and if the playing characteristics and sound are pleasing to you then that's all that matters. The tunable tweak (a must), removing any flashing, and the cavity tweak (personal preference) are all that you should do until you really spend the time to get to know the whistle.
Enjoy 'em :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

giedosst wrote: how one goes about testing to see if the whistles are duds or the few rare good ones?
It's really apparent if you play a large number of Generations of the same key back-to-back. But how to put it into words?

One thing is the clarity of tone. Some whistles sound more focused, rounder, smoother. I listen for a full round "bottom D" and other low notes. Then I listen for sweet easy high notes, especially high A and high B. Many Generation D's suffer from a harsh high A and/or high B.

Also tuning: Generations tend to a flat 2nd octave but they vary in this regard and some Gens are fairly close as they come. Packing the headjoint cavity improves the octaves even more.

As people on this forum have heard, a couple years ago I got a crack at two dozen new Generations straight from the factory. One was superb in every way: strong full round low notes, sweet high notes, good octaves. Another whistle was nearly as good. (I got those two, one for a newbie and one for me.) A few were horrible, really unplayable. Most were mediocre. Several would have been OK except for harsh high A's/high B's.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
walrii

Post by walrii »

Mitch wrote:AAArrr - I remember adding my 2 pennies on this!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42203&start=0&hilit=Magen

Of course, most of the links have long ago faded into digital heaven. Worth a look.
Thanks for the link, Mitch. I had another good laugh re-reading your test saga.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
giedosst

Post by giedosst »

Ok!

So the whistle sounds great! It has such a clean pure tone, nice and full on the low end and sweet and clear on the top! It will jump in to the 3rd D but anything after that is pretty painful! Its low D is in tune, while the high D is not and all the other notes in bettwen are all over the place! Would tweaking the head fix this?

Otherwise I love this whistle every bit as much as my Susato -L- D whistle. Easy to play and a wonderful sweet tone!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

giedosst wrote:Its low D is in tune, while the high D is not and all the other notes in bettwen are all over the place!
Start by loosening the whistlehead and moving it so that you can blow both of the D's in tune with more or less forceful breath. Then re-evaluate the intonation of the rest of the notes. Bear in mind, the third will measure a little flat on an electronic tuner. The third on the whistle is in tune if that's the case. The third on your tuner is 13 cents sharp to just intonation, and these whistles incorporate some degree of just intonation.

Best wishes,
Jerry
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

I generally tune to the G. Jerry, is that a Bad Thing to do?

Messing with the head won't sort out intonation issues.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

hoopy mike wrote:I generally tune to the G. Jerry, is that a Bad Thing to do?

Messing with the head won't sort out intonation issues.
If it works, tuning to the G is a Good Thing to do. If not, it's a Bad Thing to do.

Actually, "messing with the head" is exactly what you must to if you want to sort out intonation issues.

You can't sort them out until you know what you have. I've found with a great many whistles, people will pronounce them "out of tune" without having balanced the differential between the D's. After discovering that both D's can in fact be played in tune if they adjust the head and then determine what amount of breath each requires, they go on to find out that the rest of the notes were better than they thought at first.

Best wishes,
Jerry
giedosst

Post by giedosst »

Cool! So soak the whistle head in some hot water for a few minutes to loosen the fipple? Could I use some of my grease from my susato to lube the whistle head to adjust the tuning or would it need to be affixed to a place permanently?
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Interesting! And what do I know ;-)