Does the WhOA ever get better?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Does the WhOA ever get better?

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Yes, it gets better.... you find a better paying job so you can buy more whistles.... heh heh heh.

No, you don't NEED a bucketload of whistles, but this is one of the few musical instruments in the world where the "best of the best" can still be acquired for under half a grand (or even less, depending on what your tonal preferences are). Myself? I find things I like about many whistles, some are very pure, some slightly breathy, some wood, some metal, I even have a one-off low A whistle by Glenn Schultz that is made out of fire-engine red Delrin (sort of looks like I am playing a road flare). I don't see anything wrong with having several whistles, as long as the object is appreciation of the tonal differences/keys rather than simply having a bunch of whistles.

That being said... it IS very cool to collect unusual whistles

Dave :lol:
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
RainInEden_K
antispam: No

Post by RainInEden_K »

This doesn't bode well for the future. We are still trying to decide which will be our first low whistle (per our right whistle for non-Irish music post).

I suffer from string instrument addiction which I rationalize very well. Most of what we play are very rare instruments and nearly impossible to get. So when I find a source I usually buy two if I am sure the sound will fit our band. Thus the 20+ instruments hanging on our studio walls.

Thankfully my addiction is self funding for the most part thanks to importing for others or getting paid for performances here and there. Still... if WhOA is as bad as it sounds, I may need some immunization before ording that first whistle.

Any preventative recommendations?
RainInEden
http://www.rainineden.com
Silk Road Music
Tokyo, Japan
markbell

Post by markbell »

RainInEden_K wrote:This doesn't bode well for the future. We are still trying to decide which will be our first low whistle (per our right whistle for non-Irish music post).

I suffer from string instrument addiction which I rationalize very well. Most of what we play are very rare instruments and nearly impossible to get. So when I find a source I usually buy two if I am sure the sound will fit our band. Thus the 20+ instruments hanging on our studio walls.

Thankfully my addiction is self funding for the most part thanks to importing for others or getting paid for performances here and there. Still... if WhOA is as bad as it sounds, I may need some immunization before ording that first whistle.

Any preventative recommendations?
None.

It sounds like you are already predisposed, and if your case of WhOA is self funding, there won't even be the Spousal Disgust treatment, which only helps control symptoms and may create cycles of remission.

Probably terminal, in this case.

Enjoy!
sibilo ergo sum
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I started playing in '95 on a Clarke original. Got a Shaw, learned about Generations and then Whoa took over.

I've played nearly every whistle made (and some no longer made) by now. I've gotten pretty set in exactly what I like out of a whistle for myself, and I have a couple that fit the bill nicely. I really don't spend any time at all any more thinking about whistle acquisitions.

So, yes, Whoa can be cured..once you've played them all. :twisted:
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Wanderer wrote:So, yes, Whoa can be cured..once you've played them all. :twisted:
Or maybe once you own them all? :lol:
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Actually, WhOA is very easily cured. Just do what I have done. Get FlOA.

:D :twisted:
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

benhall.1 wrote:Actually, WhOA is very easily cured. Just do what I have done. Get FlOA.

:D :twisted:
Or UPOA :puppyeyes:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
walrii

Post by walrii »

pancelticpiper wrote:Luckily I don't have either an addictive personality... I bought every low D I could find...Then I bought matching whistles in several other keys...
They say denial is a sure sign of addiction. (Sorry, Richard, that was just too easy!)
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

BigDavy PLEASE don't tempt me. Amazingly I actually do have my eye on a set. :( :oops:
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

I recently purchased and have received a Parks walk-a-bout and it is total whistling heaven. I can't believe a CPVC whistle or any whistle could sound so good and look so cool.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

I can stop any time I want. Ah....really........really.......er.......
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I agree with you about the walk-about, tin-titan. I just got one as well (oops, I said I got over the WhOA, didn't I? :oops: ) and I love it.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

benhall.1 wrote:BigDavy PLEASE don't tempt me. Amazingly I actually do have my eye on a set. :( :oops:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Merry Christmas benhall.1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep, I hate it when they beg too!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
RainInEden_K

Post by RainInEden_K »

Terminal may be the prognosis indeed.

So what vaccination can I get? Nothing helped with strings until I had exhausted all the instruments I had
been dreaming about trying out. It was all about finding that sound and connection to the right instrument.

I did learn to bypass cheap fixes and save up for instruments that sound good and play well from the start.

Good thing is the process let me find a couple core instruments that I know as well as my own hands and can get them to do what I need them to for the music rattling around in my head. I hope the same may be possible with the whistle. Or the future may photos of our band members and I dragged off to whistle rehab with the manditory dark shades and tabloid photos. :)
RainInEden
http://www.rainineden.com
Silk Road Music
Tokyo, Japan