Dixon 3-piece Low D recording

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Dixon 3-piece Low D recording

Post by benhall.1 »

Just one other thing, DrPhill. You seem to be assuming you're not doing all that great. You've been deflated by listening to YouTube versions which are much 'better' than you feel able to do. Let me assure you - if you'll take my word for it - you're doing great. You just need to keep doing so. Believe me, I could point you to YouTube renditions of stuff from people who've been playing for years, and who are much worse than you. (I won't, 'cos that would be unfair to them, IMO, even if they have put themselves 'out there' to be knocked down.)

It seems obvious, to me at least, that you have a good ear. You also have a great desire to improve. How can you go wrong with a combination like that?

FWIW, my advice on which whistle to use, for the moment, would be: whichever you're most comfortable with. You don't have to make things harder on yourself than they need to be. Plenty of time for that later. :wink:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just a late-comer's interjection here - you can cross-finger 2nd 8ve G# just fine on most whistles with xxo xox (may be a tad sharp, but clearer/cleaner to hit than xxo xxo) - and it shouldn't be an awkward thing to do finger-wise in the context of the B music of "Stan's" Reel where it falls between two As - at least as easy as the L3 half-hole, and no tone-break or blip, or breath pressure change involved either - should be easy to get smooth and in-the-flow. Once the fingering (sequence) is familiar, it ought IMO to be more reliable than the half-hole, though I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

Also, FWIW, although these things do vary from whistle to whistle, I'd say the commonest best bottom 8ve G# is xxo xxx. xxo xxo will be sharp in the bottom octave and wolfy/flat in the second on most whistles (and flutes) in my experience.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

... as long as you recognise, chasps, that there's disagreement over whether to cross-finger or half-hole. A lot of the best Irish whistlers half-hole; Jem cross-fingers. :D
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks Jem. One of the things that puzzled me when I started was I thought there would be one correct way for each note, just like on a piano (there are no piano players here to flame me for that, right?). I found it slightly disconcerting to find that the 'non-standard' notes are largely experimental. Or is there some hidden physics that dictates them?

Since I am playing on the Dixon which is tapered I find some things do not seem to work the same as cylindrical whistles. I will try the different fingerings, but dont expect my ear will hear enough difference, or even be able to say which is nearest the correct pitch.

Mind you I am having enough of a struggle to get the timing and breathing right that just waving my finger in the direction of half the hole is good enough for me at present.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I thought I would tidy this thread up with a report.

I did the practice - 10 minutes once or twice a day for two weeks. At times I hated that tune, but I think the discipline was worth it.

I have not recorded the tune for reference, but I did get to play it at a session last night, not very fast and with no ornamentation. I think I 'got away with it', but I was concentrating so hard that I cant be sure. At least I got to breathe rather than die of asphyxia, and I seemed to finish about the right time :D . It was my first real play at a session, so thanks to those guys for indulging me. You have blown it now, as I will be back.....

(Oh, Ben still has more constructive criticism, but he knows now that I welcome it. Thanks Ben).

Odd thing was that the session is two miles up the road from me, but only found out about it on this forum. Life is well wyrd sometimes.
Phill

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh God! He's coming back!

:o

[snortle snortle]

Anyway ...

Yep - the practice was definitely worth it, Phill. It worked a treat. You'll have noticed how the other session members were able to take the tune, at that speed, and play about with it, yet not interfere too much with what you were doing? In time, you'll want to play reels faster, but there's loads of time for that.

If I get the time, I will give you some pointers for other tunes, as I promised. You could do worse than start with The Bird in the Bush. It's played commonly in sessions, and is played fairly often at that one (the banjo player likes it). Also, for a jig, try Donnybrook Fair. It's a cracking whistle tune, very common, and yet the old timers don't mind playing it 'cos it's such a good tune. (Oh, all right, some old timers don't like it, but I do. :) )

[edited for one stupid typo - and I've probably missed some more ...]
Last edited by benhall.1 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:(Oh, all right, some old timers don't like it, but I do. :) )
You'm bain't a old toimer yet, young Ben, ye gurt dimmock! (Leastways, I'm not, so you can't be unless you think 8-9 months seniority has you over the hill and me just cresting...........

So, poor DrPhill has fallen into your lair, has he? We won't be seeing much more of him, then.......... The Forest is deep, dark and dangerous, and beset with Halls!

I need zum more zider just thinking about it! :wink:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:You'll have noticed how the other session members were able to take the tune, at that speed, and play about with it, yet not interfere too much with what you were doing?
Actually I am not sure I noticed much - to much unusual input. Trying to hear myself, and hear the real players at the same time is something I have not done for fifteen years (it was blues on a mouth organ back then - far simpler at the shallow end than whistling ITM). Thinking about breathing, remembering which part comes next, closing the holes cleanly.....

I am not complaining, far from it, but noticing the details of what others were doing? That will have to come later.

Jem: The forest is dark and deep - I rarely escape. Nor can I see much incentive, to be honest. Its quiet, with few people, lots of trees and plenty of wildlife. Its a long way from the nearest macdonalds.....
I will be escaping to Wales for a holiday later this year - between Ceredigion and Newquay. Do you know of any novice freindly sessions over that way in case it rains? :lol:
Phill

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Phill, West Wales (as in south-west, Pembrokeshire/Ceredigion) is pretty much beyond my ken, living in the opposite corner as I do - apart from a flying visit last autumn, I haven't been down that way for years..... and never knew it well even when I lived in Cardiff. I believe there may be something in Pembroke &/or Pembroke Dock. Check out the listings in Taplas magazine and on the trac website, and maybe try contacting Ceri Rhys Matthews (of Fernhill) who lives over there - he's on Facebook or check out his yscolan website which has contact info and is well worth browsing anyway. He plays pretty exclusively Welsh trad, but may well know what's on generally in his neck of the woods.
The Forest is dark and deep - I rarely escape. Nor can I see much incentive, to be honest. Its quiet, with few people, lots of trees and plenty of wildlife. Its a long way from the nearest Macdonalds.....
Knowing the Forest (of Dean) a little, what with visits to Ben etc. over many years, I can well believe you don't necessarily know what is happening two miles up the road! It's a lovely place and I agree there's little incentive to venture out of it. However, even by Forest standards, less than roughly 20 miles to Gloucester (even if you're on the Welsh side of the Forest) or Hereford to a MacYuckies (not that I can imagine ANY reason for wanting to go to such!!!!!!!!!!!) doesn't really count as "a long way"! Except I suppose anything "outside" is a long way...... :D
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks for the pointers Jem.

I guess I should have noticed the 'NE' in your location. Wales is big - though not as big as it should be (I reckon the Forest should be in Wales or at least not in England ).

I hope I am around for your next visit to the forest.
Phill

john_t

Post by john_t »

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

What about an excursion to The Volunteer in Hereford? It's due next Wednesday, I believe (8:4:09) and I haven't been down for ages. What about it, Ben? Phill?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks John_t thats good to know. I will have to ask she-who-organises-holidays what dates we are there and see what will match up. It looks like you have an active group over on the west coast.

I have been through Fishguard several times, travelling to eire, and when holidaying (Carn Ingli once, Moylgrove once). I never thought to stop and explore before.

Jem: my first thought is 'that sounds good', but will need to work out what is possible. I will pm you to save cluttering the forum.
Phill

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh well, I'm going to "clutter the forum". :) [Hmmm ... possible name for a tune?]

Anyway ... I went along to the Vollie some time in January, and there was nobody there! I don't know whether they're playing there again now or not. We could always ask Maggie I suppose ... or Phil (another one - the world's full of them :D ) ...