Best inexpensive Bb?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

My wife picked me up a cheap bamboo Bb whistle in Maui and I really it - its not as shrill as a D whistle and its way easy to play. Surprisingly, my bamboo Bb is fairly well-tuned but the upper octave (especially) B-A-G) is *very* weak so I want to get another Bb. I don't play in sessions (because I'm too crappy and I'm too gutless to do it anyway) but I would like a nice Bb for playing Scottish music so I would prefer a whistle that leans towards the quiet side. Any suggestions on a decent, reasonably-priced Bb would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
adrianh

Post by adrianh »

I have a Generation and am very impressed. Got the nickel one and it sounds lovely and soft.

Only cost me £5, which I suppose would be about $8 for you.

Hope this helps some

A
><>
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I agree that Generation Bflat is an excellent cheap choice. I have one in brass and one in nickle. Philo
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've got a Generation Bb as well that's not too bad (nickle). -brett
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

I have a brass Generation B flat(infact I have four). I added the sticky tac to the fipple cavity and they all sound great.

Joe
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

I've only played two makes of Bflat whistle, but I consider my Generation Bflat an excellent whistle. I also performed the sticky tack tweak.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Thank-you all for your suggestion of the Generation Bb!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Well, I guess I'm gonna be the guy to suggest something different.

I love my Shaw Bb. Yeah, it is breathy (lovely) and takes a huge amount of air (gasp, wheeze!), but I believe it is well worth the price and drawbacks. It also looks great!

My dad plays a nickel Generation (the whistle that got me interested in playing in the first place) and I prefer the Shaw. Still, I am also learning bagpipes, so I don't mind really puffing into it. I actually don't like whistles with low breath requirements. I always squeak them.

Still, my dad's Gen Bb is a fine and lovely instrument, too. Can't knock it a bit.

-Patrick
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Finally,

A fellow Shaw lover :smile: I don't have the Bb, but I love my D and C.

Erik
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I also have a D. I love it for slow airs. I prefer a Clarke original for my primary whistle, since it seems more responsive when playing faster. But I often think about adding a Shaw low D to my collection. That breathy, slightly fuzzy sound is just so great, it would have to be almost sensual in a low whistle.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Yep, there's another Shaw puffer on the board! And I'd even suggest the Bb for a "reach-for" Bb whistle. I haven't wanted another one in that key, while I have several on the "I want" list for other keys.

-Patrick
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I also have a Generation Bb and am really impressed with it. I only own three Generations, the other two being the high F and G, that I've only seen by Generation.

A question about Shaw whistles: I have played a low-D, and the sound is remarkable -- that breathy, far-away sound that's perfect in a low whistle. However, the C-natural needed four holes covered, and I couldn't get any vibrato out of it by covering unused holes. Is that universal in Shaws, or is it a moderate problem in higher whistles that increases with larger ones?

Charlie
dgardner

Post by dgardner »

what is the sticky tac tweak?...dg
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

How about the Hoover CPVC Bb - anyone have an opinion on that?
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

The Hoover?

If you don't GOT one...

GET one!

It's very quiet, and no need to tweek. I own a Generation as well, and it's a fine whistle, but compared to Mack's work, I'd go with the CPVC myself.

I now have a great little collection of Mack's whis in D, A and G, and I love them all. His Bb's I played at the Celtic Festival in Sept. were spot on in tune, and had a well balanced tone from one octave to the next. My Generation isn't that well balanced.

Give Macka call...he can answer any specifics you might have...

B~
mysusato

Post by mysusato »

Definitely the Hoover PVC. Sweet tone. Changes octaves smoothly. Great response for a PVC whistle.