CP: New concept design from Lochlan whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: CP: New concept design from Lochlan whistles

Post by plunk111 »

Me three! Me three!!! If a tour goes, I'd like to be involved...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

I would be very interested in a tour....I'm in whistle acquiring mood, and all in favour of Canuckian whistlemaking.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Gregrussell wrote:
Sidhe wrote:Sorry to butt in on these technical musings, but I have a practical :D question. Greg, any chance of a tour? I'd love to give it a try, and as a matter of fact I need a new low D, but I don't really have enough free cash to feel comfortable buying a whistle I haven't tried yet.
Why not....who's interested
Put me on the list also.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Trixle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Trixle »

I would be interested in the tour as well!
"Well, rhythm, i think, if it's rhythmatic, that's the whole thing. Technique and everything comes second, i think, to the rhythm." --Mary Bergin
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

I'd be interested in a tour too, maybe there are some more europeans interested in this tour (if there's going to be a tour..)
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

No offence intended mate and it is a purely subjective opinion here but whilst it may give superior performance, it is quite hideous looking!
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Gregrussell

Post by Gregrussell »

Jetboy wrote:No offence intended mate and it is a purely subjective opinion here but whilst it may give superior performance, it is quite hideous looking!
I might agree jetboy, she is a bit over weight and with the recent lypo suction.....it might take some time before she is comfortable with the staring and pointing of fingers.....but all jokes aside, this venture is for my son Lochlan who doesn't see very well, so hopefully sound will be most important in regards to the instruments evolution.....as for the observation you posted....i'm not convinced it is an honest opinion....rather a transparent sign of animosity from a fellow maker...this is natural and I expect to be beaten up once in awhile for being different from those who are on "the straight and narrow" pun intended!
If I am to make venture it will be one that will add to the community and explore new grounds rather then copy what others are doing and have done.....In my opinion there is only one overton....one copeland....one cheiftain....one burke... one generation...the list goes on! I'm not interested trying to improve or copy mr. burkes or phil hardy's instruments...believe me, they got it all figured out....!! I'll go about to offer the community something different....not superior but different....

Greg
Last edited by Gregrussell on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CleverCugel

Post by CleverCugel »

Gregrussell wrote:
Jetboy wrote:No offence intended mate and it is a purely subjective opinion here but whilst it may give superior performance, it is quite hideous looking!
I might agree jetboy, she is a bit over weight and with the recent lypo suction.....it might take some time before she is comfortable with the staring and pointing of fingers.....but all jokes aside, this venture is for my son Lochlan who doesn't see very well, so hopefully sound will be most important in regards to the instruments evolution.

Greg
Indeed, sound reigns supreme. One of my best tooters looks like a puppy had a go at it. I won't go as far to say its hideous...but it does indeed look different. Kudo to Greg for the innovation.
J B Lansing

Post by J B Lansing »

If I might beg to differ. I just received Lochlan low D and I would characterize it as being burly rather than chubby. Kind of muscular. The sound is really quite lovely
J B
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

I LOVE the way it looks - all bad and wicked. I develop attitude everytime I pick mine up. Nobody messes with me with this whistle in hand. Fiddlers hide!! Guitar players duck!! Husbands do as they are told....... Sounds great and very DIFFERENT to boot!
Makar

Post by Makar »

Innovation is the vital spark of progress...and ugly can be the new beautiful in time I am sure. Personally I prefer a fuller body to get to grips with :wink:

Gawn yersel Greg
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I'm glad to see another whistlesmith using metal spinning/flow forming to create whistle bores with advanced bore perturbation acoustics. Mr Burke and others use this technique as well. I hope these techniques will inspire other designers to use simple spinning techniques over mandrels for improved instrument acoustics. This type of localized bore perturbation has been used effectively in the past for Bagpipes and Flageolets for centuries.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Gregrussell

Post by Gregrussell »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:I'm glad to see another whistlesmith using metal spinning/flow forming to create whistle bores with advanced bore perturbation acoustics. Mr Burke and others use this technique as well. I hope these techniques will inspire other designers to use simple spinning techniques over mandrels for improved instrument acoustics. This type of localized bore perturbation has been used effectively in the past for Bagpipes and Flageolets for centuries.
Hi Thomas, there are no inner bore perturbations....the effect is on the progessive thickness by means of a tapper. with each tonehole there seems to be a negative area or pool within the tonehole chimney. this pool/tonehole/chimney is the mirror that reflects the pressure back to the fipple......if the hole area is very shallow(thin wall) then the mirror is more reflective. if the hole is deep then the mirror takes more presure to reflect..... lower frequency notes on the lochlan work much better with deeper toneholes while the higher seem to like the thinner walls more shallow holes....but no perturbation rings....the inside of the bore is as clean as a whistle!
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Gregrussell wrote:
as for the observation you posted....i'm not convinced it is an honest opinion....rather a transparent sign of animosity from a fellow maker...

Greg
Greg, buddy, I have the greatest respect for fellow makers, indeed as a fledgling whistlesmith a few years ago, I looked to all those that you refer to later on in your post for inspiration and openings for variation. At the end of the day, an instrument is designed primarily to make a beautiful noise, not necessarily for its aesthetic. The beauty of any instrument is in its function and there are some very strange looking instruments out there! :o

I would never dream of openly or otherwise displaying any animosity towards a fellow maker, especially one who can demonstrate such astonishing engineering skill as you clearly do in the execution of this work. My opinion is, as said purely subjective - go for it and be proud! :thumbsup:
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Gregrussell

Post by Gregrussell »

Jetboy wrote:
Gregrussell wrote:
as for the observation you posted....i'm not convinced it is an honest opinion....rather a transparent sign of animosity from a fellow maker...

Greg
Greg, buddy, I have the greatest respect for fellow makers, indeed as a fledgling whistlesmith a few years ago, I looked to all those that you refer to later on in your post for inspiration and openings for variation. At the end of the day, an instrument is designed primarily to make a beautiful noise, not necessarily for its aesthetic. The beauty of any instrument is in its function and there are some very strange looking instruments out there! :o

I would never dream of openly or otherwise displaying any animosity towards a fellow maker, especially one who can demonstrate such astonishing engineering skill as you clearly do in the execution of this work. My opinion is, as said purely subjective - go for it and be proud! :thumbsup:
Jetboy is now Gregrussell's best friend...... :) :)
But will admit to being a bit lazy on the machine work....the telescopic look never really worked for me neither, it was just economics.....So I took your suggestion to constructive heights and did a full taper, Carey parks also suggested this Route.....It looks better but cost more to do...but ah what the hell