WhOA and newbies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thud
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WhOA and newbies

Post by Thud »

You people need to warn newbies about WhOA a little more energetically. Maybe I wouldn't be on whistle #9 if you had.

But thanks for all the info on this list, it's unbelievably helpful! And downright fun too.
ahogrelius
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Re: WhOA and newbies

Post by ahogrelius »

Thud wrote:You people need to warn newbies about WhOA a little more energetically. Maybe I wouldn't be on whistle #9 if you had.

But thanks for all the info on this list, it's unbelievably helpful! And downright fun too.
There's no point in warning the newbies about WhOA. When they've picked up their first whistle and have arrived here it's just too late... :D :D :D

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have not been warned in the first place, but found out about WhOA during research about Tin Whistles very early on. - Even before making the conscious decision to buy one.

While it took me about two weeks to make up my mind which model to get, I knew from day one that I'd most likely "contract" WhOA. That was even before I got my first whistle!

It really is simple to explain:
1) There are all these different models, materials and brands.
2) Every single whistle sounds a little different, even if they've the same
pitch.
3) The curiosity what another pitch might sound like. - Makes you return
to n° 1 and 2. - An infinite loop!

So here's my conclusion: Aware or not of this little side effect, there's just no way to avoid it! It really doesn't matter if you warned people sooner.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Thud wrote:You people need to warn newbies about WhOA a little more energetically. Maybe I wouldn't be on whistle #9 if you had.

That's 4.5 whistles per posts.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It is more easy to collect whistles than grand pianos. Whistles weigh less, and can be traded through normal mail. :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

By the time you know you've got it, you've already infected half the room.

:D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
dryer

Post by dryer »

This syndrome effects newbies and oldbies alike. No distinction.
My wife currently has 26 potted plants on the patio, all costing as much or more than my most expensive whistle. "You want ANOTHER whistle???!!"
"Well darling, about those plants....I don't have 26 whistles...yet." * :) :lol:

*i'd be dead meat if we counted guitars, mandolins, harmonicas, whistles, and other associated hardware. :lol:
Thud

Post by Thud »

Tikva wrote: It really is simple to explain:
1) There are all these different models, materials and brands.
2) Every single whistle sounds a little different, even if they've the same
pitch.
3) The curiosity what another pitch might sound like. - Makes you return
to n° 1 and 2. - An infinite loop!
EXACTLY right! You nailed it. I won a Feadog on ebay, and while I was waiting for it to arrive I found a Sweetone C at a music store, then found a great deal on a couple of Clarke Megs on ebay... then bought an Oak, then a Generation... few more on the way... they ARE all different, and which one I play really depends on the mood. I think The Feadog (brass D) is my fave, although the Oak Nickel D is a sweet whistle as well, and the Generation Brass D has a clarity to it...

To be honest, it's frustrating. It would be so nice if there was the ONE whistle that was perfect. Part of the charm of it, though.
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Ya, I'm of the opinion that WhOA is half the fun, why would you want to avoid it? :)
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
Thud

Post by Thud »

ziggysp2000 wrote:Ya, I'm of the opinion that WhOA is half the fun, why would you want to avoid it? :)
Well, it's not so much me avoiding it as it is my wife getting VERY annoyed at it. One or two I can justify. More than that and I have to either hide them or explain them.
Killaloe

Post by Killaloe »

I have embraced WhOa. I am at one with the whistle gods. I now find my self looking at Whistle and Drum and seeing what I need not what I want.

It's great isn't it!!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The real problem with WhOA is it leads to the hard stuff. Next it will be flutes, dulcimers, and pipes. Where will it end. xaphoons?

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

RonKiley wrote:The real problem with WhOA is it leads to the hard stuff. Next it will be flutes, dulcimers, and pipes. Where will it end. xaphoons?

Ron
I so want one of those.
Thud

Post by Thud »

RonKiley wrote:The real problem with WhOA is it leads to the hard stuff. Next it will be flutes, dulcimers, and pipes. Where will it end. xaphoons?

Ron
Got dulcimers. Have small (kiddy) pipes and chanters. Avoid normal flutes, do have a collection of Native American flutes. I'm beginning to think it DOESN'T end.
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Yeah, I didn't go irish again but whistles did lean into ocarinas, hahaha
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"