Tilbury Music Company world tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ctilbury
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ctilbury »

Thanks, Dameon! I remember you. You play very well!
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
benbrad

Eastern Tour

Post by benbrad »

I am now trying to locate Richard Ashkettle who is on the eastern leg of the tour. I have e-mailed Richard a couple of times with no responce. Richard please contact me if you see this. Thanks.

benbrad@cablelynx.com
Ben
benbrad

Tour Info

Post by benbrad »

I just received word today that Jason Casey has taken delivery of the Central Tour whistle. Eric Ryan is next to receive the whistle after one week.
Ben
benbrad

Tour Info

Post by benbrad »

Tom Cunningham now has the Eastern Tour whistle. Next on the list is Pat Plunkett. I will let all interested parties know when the whistle moves again.
Ben
benbrad

Next On Western Tour

Post by benbrad »

The next person to receive the Western tour whistle is Sarah McUmber-House. Eric Ryan, who was orginally scheduled to be next, has asked to be skipped for personal reasons. Sarah should receive the whistle some time next week.
Ben
braccio

Post by braccio »

Hi Ben,

I'm guessing that you mean Central.

Pete
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Next On Western Tour

Post by anniemcu »

benbrad wrote:The next person to receive the Western tour whistle is Sarah McUmber-House. Eric Ryan, who was orginally scheduled to be next, has asked to be skipped for personal reasons. Sarah should receive the whistle some time next week.
Whee!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

I'm guessing that you mean Central.
Yes Central Tour. I'm glad you caught that.
Ben
benbrad

Eastern Tour

Post by benbrad »

I just heard from Tom Cunningham that he is ready to send the Eastern Tour whistle on to Pat Plunkett. I sent an e-mail to Pat and as soon as I hear back from him Tom will send it out. Pat, if you read this here please send me a PM. Thanks.
Ben
benbrad

Eastern Tour

Post by benbrad »

Pat has been contacted and so the Eastern Tour whistle will now pass onwards.
Ben
TC

Post by TC »

I'm shipping off the whistle today and wanted to share a few points. I agree with most of what's been said. It has a breathy and open tone which reminds me of the Clarke original. In this regard, it can take a lot of air and to me sounds nice when really pushed from the second octave E to A range. I have to admit that I wasn't sure at first but the more I played it, the more I liked it.
What I liked most was the weight of the thing, substantial but not heavy. The material is thin enough that you can really feel the notes under your fingers. I think this also contributes to the ease of half-holing. Overall, the construction is quite nice. I like the sleek look no-frills look of the whistle, though I do agree that some sort of logo or name brand would fit nicely. I resisted all temptation to take the thing apart so i can't comment on the inner workings.
So, in a nutshell, this was a fun experiment for me, someone who's stuck in the late beginner/ intermeditate level. I got a chance to try a whistle with a different sound than the ones I normally play and learned a little bit in the process. Thanks to Chuck for sharing and Thanks to Ben for keeping this endeavor running!
Tom
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

I managed to get hold of a low D from Chuck, and couldn't help but do some recording. Mind you, it's not great as a demonstration of the sound, because I did it on a crappy microphone, so I had to run it through noise filters, and there's reverb added, but it still gives you an idea of how beautiful they sound. I love the breathiness of the whistle. It's just slightly quieter than my Susato low D, with similar breath requirements, but way more responsive and with an easier reach (and the E hole isn't ginormous).

http://daleth.podbean.com/2008/10/06/arran-boat-song/
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I'm truly, honestly not trying to slag you ... But isn't the intonation of that clip pretty far off? The recording quality itself seems OK.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

MTGuru wrote:
I'm truly, honestly not trying to slag you ... But isn't the intonation of that clip pretty far off? The recording quality itself seems OK.
IMHO, the low D that Dameon has needs some work. It's an early prototype and the air requirements across the scale are not even. It also requires a lot of air with almost no back pressure. The result is that it is a little harder to play than it ought to be. If you start to run out of air, the instrument goes flat. However, using delrin for the fipple plug in 7/8" aluminum tube works great! :D
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Right Chuck, thanks. I wasn't drawing any conclusions about the source of the problem, just making an observation. And after assisting several makers recently in dealing with intonation issues, I guess I'm particularly attuned to tuning at the moment. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.