WHOA help me

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
iwanttotoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WHOA help me

Post by iwanttotoot »

hi guys,

loving this whistle journey. I play the piano and between breaks I'll do something with the whistle. It really relaxes me so much that when I go back to the piano, I feel so much more confident and relaxed.

Whoa hit me big time he he he he. I thought having it for the piano was bad enough. I ended up with 4 digitals and a beautiful Kawai k-8. The digitals are gathering dust but I'm glad to say the acoustic is getting used to a pulp everyday.

Now it's the whistle. Thank God this is a bit more affordable.

I've acquired

Jerry Freeman tweaked

Mellow Dog D
Generation D
Sweetone by Clarke D
Feadog Pro D
Generation Bb which I think I might have trouble playing. My hands aren't small but they're not big enough for the holes on this one.

Finally

I got a Michael Burke narrow bore D last week.

I love them all. I know it sounds silly to buy such a nice whistle like the burke while I'm still learning but since I play music everyday it's coming really easy to me and it's not a passing thing with me.

I love the hole placement of the clarke sweetone. It's so perfect for my fingers, I find I can cover the holes with ease. I'm using it for slow airs.

My question is, is there a professional whistle with that kind of fingering that won't be as breathy as the clarke? The clarke is breathy but not overly but I can't see playing all kinds of fast music on it.

I figure I have just a couple more to add to my collection and I'll be done. :D

I appreciate all the feedback you guys have to offer. It's priceless!!

thanks
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: WHOA help me

Post by fancypiper »

iwanttotoot wrote: I've acquired

Jerry Freeman tweaked

Mellow Dog D
Generation D
Sweetone by Clarke D
Feadog Pro D
Generation Bb which I think I might have trouble playing. My hands aren't small but they're not big enough for the holes on this one.
A bit of practice will cure that. I love my Generation brass Bb tube with a Blacktop fipple It is my favorite solo whistle, and I have short, stubby fingers.

Are you playing with the tips of your fingers? You should use the pads of the fingers and keep the fingers straight, not curved. That lets you play much faster once you get really relaxed.
iwanttotoot wrote: I love the hole placement of the clarke sweetone. It's so perfect for my fingers, I find I can cover the holes with ease. I'm using it for slow airs.

My question is, is there a professional whistle with that kind of fingering that won't be as breathy as the clarke? The clarke is breathy but not overly but I can't see playing all kinds of fast music on it.
I don't think the Clarke Sweetone sounds breathy. In fact, it is too "pure" for my ears. The Clarke Original design is breathy and it's one of my favorites because of it. It has that "traditional" sound.
iwanttotoot wrote:I figure I have just a couple more to add to my collection and I'll be done. :D
Image Image Image
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

You'll get the Bb eventually. You should get a G or a low D and then that Bb will seem like a little toy in your hands!

You don't have to cover the holes with the ends of your fingers, ya know. You can cover them with the middle joints. Takes a little getting used to, but it will make it easier to reach the lowest hole.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
iwanttotoot

Post by iwanttotoot »

Thanks for the advise especially the finger placement.
JSCWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle/flute and guitar player from Dallas, now living in a van down by the river with my wife and two cats.

Former member of Texas bands Flashpoint, and The Here & Now.

Re: WHOA help me

Post by JSCWhistler »

iwanttotoot wrote:

I figure I have just a couple more to add to my collection and I'll be done. :D
Ha, that's what I've thought a few times, and I now have 3 D whistles, a Bb, an Eb, an F, and a Db, and then a D and an Eb flute, a panflute, a soprano, alto, and tenor recorders, a keyboard, and I'm STILL planning on getting more!! The WhOA will stick with you (and not just with whistles) until the day the casket is closed.
Boody

Post by Boody »

When your WHOA demands a set of pipes, then you are really in trouble... :D
ChaplainBlake
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

I, too, chose a Burke narrow bore D for my first whistle...no regrets. If you have the means, there is absolutely nothing wrong with picking up a more expensive instrument as your first. For me, in addition to the sweet sound of the whistle, the price was one more piece of motivation to learn the whistle. I must confess though, that it did not keep my eyes from wandering...WHOA happens.

Blake
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Boody wrote:When your WHOA demands a set of pipes, then you are really in trouble... :D
True, the tin whistle is a gateway drug to pipes and wooden flutes.

I am in trouble, I have a D 1/2 set and a C 3/4 set. Now I have the hots for a B full set. At least, I gave up on my flute and sold it. I never could "hold my mouth right" to blow it into tune and get a consistent reedy sound, even though I love to hear ITM on the flute.
Boody

Post by Boody »

Yes, this month I am expecting in the mail a Vargas tweaked gen, a Tipple flute, and a Daye practice set. I have accomplished my mission of spending all of my money!!
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Boody wrote:Yes, this month I am expecting in the mail a Vargas tweaked gen, a Tipple flute, and a Daye practice set. I have accomplished my mission of spending all of my money!!
Welcome to the dark side! (and my financial situation as well) :thumbsup: