Whisle & flute playing together - any keys other from D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
breqwas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whisle & flute playing together - any keys other from D?

Post by breqwas »

The standart key for group playing is D, I know. But can we play other keys in our band, if we have both whistle and flute?

D, Eb and maybe С are the only keys where whistle & flute can have octave interval. Another trick is to take low G flute and play high G on whistle. Still, that does not make too much sense.

Or you can play in low G on D flute and take a low G whistle - then flute and whistle will have the same tone, and you can make many keys that way. But there's also not very much sense in having sthe same tone for flute and whistle.

Maybe there are some other tricks, or intervals other than octave? That's a band, not a session, so it's OK to play in weird keys.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

A fully keyed flute certainly opens up a number of pairing possibilities.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Fully keyed flute is good thing, and it's name is Boehm flute :)

Anyway, we _can_ buy flute&whistle in some weird keys if it is needed - but what should be these keys?

I mean - you can play with octave interval in D or G with regular D flute&whistle, you can take a low G whistle and D flute to play in unison in G. But are there any other intervals for flute&whistle to sound OK together, and what keys do we need to make these intervals?
scheky

Post by scheky »

breqwas wrote:Fully keyed flute is good thing, and it's name is Boehm flute :)
It's name is also a Simple System Flute with 6 keys, which makes that D flute fully chromatic. Perhaps you jumped to a hasty conclusion.

Also, why would you always need to be an octave apart? A whistle in F and a flute playing in F will both sound different and could wonderfully co-exist (and insert other keys here).
bud

Post by bud »

Playing in unison is not the only possibility. A bass singer does not usually sing in unison with the baritone and the tenor. The flute could play the melody and the whistle in harmony with it, or vice versa, a concept I am working on for my band.
Bud Savoie
bud

Post by bud »

Playing in unison is not the only possibility. A bass singer does not usually sing in unison with the baritone and the tenor. The flute could play the melody and the whistle in harmony with it, or vice versa, a concept I am working on for my band.
Bud Savoie