BBC Radio 4 visits the Glens of Antrim (and a Session)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zax
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

BBC Radio 4 visits the Glens of Antrim (and a Session)

Post by Zax »

Hi all!
just thought i'd mention this for everyone- Radio 4's Open Country program (which you can listen to online) just visited the Glens of Antrim in the last 2 weeks' programs. The first episode
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/ope ... 1006.shtml
has only a very little bit of music= a few snippets and a pretty bit of whistle, but the program is fantastic for its graphic description of the area and the interviews with some locals of interest.

the SECOND episode, however,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/ope ... 1013.shtml
actually spends quite a bit of time interviewing some people at a local bar in Cushendall during a session, learns from a traditional storyteller exactly why it's important to have round pillars, not square, on your house... as well as visiting a hurling game and more.

Great music, great people, and a really neat program to listen to- especially these two episodes!
(here's a bit of the description from the website:
"Helen drops in on a session at McCollam's bar (known locally as Johnny Joe’s) where she meets up with musicians Kieran Dempsey, his son Rory Dempsey and Helen O’Kane who describe how traditional Irish music, singing and dancing still remain the heartbeat of the Glens. Another musician, Feargal Lynn demonstrates the playing of the Irish drum the bodhran.")

OH! and if you are fond of the Open Country program, this link here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/ope ... 0225.shtml
will take you to an old version of the site that still has links (in the right hand column) to about two hundred past programs- several of which are from places in Ireland.

OK- hope this excites a few of you!
btw- you can listen to the show simply by clicking the "listen to this programme in full" button front and center on the websites... :))

~Z
(hopefully i'm not repeating something someone else already posted...)
Aim for Deep Focus.
DaveAuty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Zax,

Cheers for that. :)

Dave.
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Which program do you use to run it on? I can't get it to play. :-?
Zax

which program

Post by Zax »

it usually plays in RealPlayer. :) if you have trouble, pm me and i'll try to help!

~Z
Aim for Deep Focus.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Realplayer used to be a pain to download, but it's easier now. Not quite so many traps for the unwary to find themselves paying money. There should be links on the BBC website to where you can get a (free) download.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Hello Zax, Thank you. I'll be listening. Cheers, Cyril.
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Thanks for the help unfortunately nothing can help my slow bandwidth! RealPlayer download keeps timing out so I guess I don't get to listen. :cry: