Buying a low D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

For hole spacing and size NOTHING beats a Bleazy.

Low D on the Right.

The only one I have found that beats the Bleazy for spacing is the Jubilee Low D in PVC.

http://www.tinwhistles.us/jubilee/jubilee.htm
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Those Bleazies look great, but the toneholes on the low D seem awfully small. Does that whistle put out as much volume as ordinary low D's with big toneholes?
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

pancelticpiper wrote:Those Bleazies look great, but the toneholes on the low D seem awfully small. Does that whistle put out as much volume as ordinary low D's with big toneholes?
I do not have a dB meter so I cannot tell for sure. It seems to be at least nearly as loud as my Overton though. That is a subjective eval though.

For the playing I mainly do though it is quite loud enough and the sound is butter in the air!!! My wife calls it my "seducer." That is good enough for me. :twisted:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
The Laughing Imp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Laughing Imp »

With a wood fipple and a wood body wouldn't the Bleazy sound like a recorder? Just curious.

Update: That Low D Bleazy looks sweet, but at nearly $600 I'll pass. I've got my eye on the Burke Viper. And the exchange rate from Utah to Illinois is a lot better than the one from Utah to England! :boggle:
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
The Laughing Imp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Laughing Imp »

pancelticpiper wrote:Stegoosh: I've played most of the low D's out there, and most have pretty similar finger spacing, and present a similar amount of difficulty for someone not used to the finger stretch. I think there's a site which has a chart which compares the fingerhole spacing
I'd love to see that site. Do you have a link?
Burke makes an "EZ" low D that requires less of a finger stretch on the low hand.
I found the Copeland low D to be one of the most comfortable whistles to play due to the narrow tube and slightly closer fingerhole spacing.
Have you played the "EZ"? I wonder how it compares in sound, etc. to the regular Viper. And the Copeland for that matter...
Bonnie, congrats on the Viper!!! I still love mine. It's still a bit tiring on the hands to play due to the very large tube and slightly wider upper-hand stretch than usual. I've experimented with hand position and it has become a bit more comfortable. I played it for nearly two hours at a session last week and it's a great session horn. After I got used to it I found that I could play it as nimbly as a high whistle.
Have you had a chance to play a Howard? If so, what did you think of it? Do you know how it compares to the Viper. I own a Howard Low D and I'm having difficulty with it. Can't seem to cover the holes without a death grip and I'm not using my fingertips. I'm using a piper's grip.

It would be nice if I lived near or new of somebody nearby who had experience in these matters, but it's fun to explore on my own, too. A bit expensive, but fun. :P

~Douglas
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

low d

Post by Mr.Nate »

My friend has a Bleazy low D and a Bleazy flute.

I wouldn't say that the Low D sounds like a recorder but it is mellow and on the opposite end of a good metal low whistle. At the time I liked the flute so much that I ordered one from Bleazy. A flute is a different animal though so I won't go there. My favorite low D so far is an Overton. I bought one from a friend of mine for 100$, then sold it back 6 months later. The reason I sold it back is because I am not a good enough player to really play that whistle like it should be played. They are also harder to play in the winter because they take a while to warm up and cool down as soon as you stop playing it!! If Goldie made a Delrin head for his whistles I would buy one immediatly!

I'm next in line on the Q1 vibe tour. An Alba may end up being my new favorite metal low D! As long as I can reach and cover the holes .
Ya, can't waite!!!

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!