Good medium whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ennistraveler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Good medium whistles

Post by ennistraveler »

Hi whistlers!

I bought a few Dixon whistles recently, one Dixon trad and one high E, both very good whistles, I'm very satisfied with Dixon. Now I need another couple of whistles, one A and one G. I thought that maybe I would buy another brand, just to broaden my view???
What other whistle brand are there, at the same level of quality as Dixon, easy to play, easy to reach the second octave, tunable, and about the same price. Would you advice anything particular or should I stick with Dixon just to be sure they'll be good? (oh yes, I'm lazy, but I'm just not good at half holing!!)
Brother Steve rocks!
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

One good option for around $40 is a cheapie with a Hoover Whitecap.

Jason
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am with Jason, the whole way on this one...Another option is the Hoover Blacktop on a cheapie barrel. I have one on an old nickel Clare...The whistle went from not acceptable to truly a fine player. The Blacktops are, however, a bit more expensive. The Whitecap will do the job, just fine...

Good luck in your choice.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Maybe a Freeman tweaked cheapie? They run around $35, but I don't know all of the keys he does. You can PM him here on the forum.
Life is good.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

They're looking for same-range whistles in A and G. I can recommend Susato for that...although they're not known for sounding traditional and requiring a little getting used to. Hoovers are good too....make sure he's still making them in A and G(outside of his new wood Gs). Shaws also fall into that rough price range(I think) but the breathing requirments are different. Maybe Doc Jones would have something for you....you should ask him...he's super nice and knows his stuff.
Toomanypets

Post by Toomanypets »

If you're looking to try something different, I second the recommendation for Susato. They have a little different sound, although it seems that some don't like them as much. They are plastic. But, they're light and easy to play, and probably pretty rugged. Also, relatively inexpensive for a good quality instrument. I have several (some new, some used) and tend to play them more than my Burke.

You can sometimes find others on C&F selling them used, or you can get them directly from the Kelischek Workshop in NC. See http://www.susato.com/

I've found them a pleasure to deal with the few times I've called them.

I would definitely recommend Burke, too! Great whistle, and a good guy to deal with. But, I imagine those are beyond the price range you're looking for.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i just got a feodog pro ------------still waiting for it---------we will se how that goes :D
Caroleleanor

Post by Caroleleanor »

I'm considering purchasing a Burke Low D that is made for people like me with small hands. I think it is DLAEZ. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Toomanypets

Post by Toomanypets »

I don't have a Burke low D, so I can't comment on that directly. I do have a high D session in brass, and it's a great whistle. I would expect that the low D will be excellent. You might e-mail Michael Burke and ask what the hole spacing is, and plot it out on paper to see how it will work for you.

An alternative is a Susato low D with one or two keys. A little cheaper for a good whistle that will have an easy to reach. The keys may feel a little different at first, but will be very playable. I've just purchased one with one key (used) for a good price, and I'm finding it very easy to play.
Caroleleanor

Post by Caroleleanor »

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Good idea about e-mailing Michael Burke for the hole spacing. I have a high D, but have never played a low D. I may be jumping ahead too fast. A new Burke is a lot of money, but I think it's probably a good idea to learn with a good whistle.

I've only been playing for 3 years, but I like the sound of the low D very much.
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

Flogging Jason wrote:Shaws also fall into that rough price range(I think) but the breathing requirments are different.
I love my Freeman-tweaked Shaw high-D. I know Shaw makes an A, but I don't know if Freeman tweaks them.

I like the breathing requirements of the Shaw.

:)

The Shaw's are not tunable, nor is mine necessarily in perfect tune with itself. That is why I have a Reyburn for sessions. Maybe when I get more skilled I will be able to blow the Shaw into perfect tune. I am sure it can be done.

...john
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

For just a bit more you could get a susato medium bore A. Really a strong whistle. Not too loud but very full. A great solo instrument or perfect for those tunes in D that dip below the tonic, like Ashokin Farewell.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.