Internet angels

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Peter Laban wrote:Taking down someone's playing because he airs an opinion is a bit of a cheap shot and will leave you open for the same treatment a bit down the line.
Hi Peter,

I think you may have missed this bit :) :
eskin wrote:
Now, the reality is that they are all three nice recordings which I enjoyed, we could all pick them apart and judge as to their passing the traditional bar, but whats the point? Why did you post them in the first place? I mean, everyone knows Banish Misfortune, I'd think it was because you wanted to share how you uniquely play the tune. The same reason you posted those tunes is why I post my tunes.

Michael
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

eskin wrote:
No, I'm not a great player. I appreciate any specific coaching on my playing.
Bingo! There's the magic word...Coaching.

It's really important to frame and deliver critiscism in such a way that it can be of the most benefit to the person one wants to teach/correct.

I know that when my counsel to someone is too barbed they will take a defensive posture. That's the moment I lose my power to teach them.

I guess that would be fine if I were just after a fight, but it's a great tragedy if what I was really after was to help them or teach them something I knew to be true and important.

Coaching & mentoring are the keys to effective teaching. To the degree we understand that, we succeed in having a positive impact on those we would teach. To the degree we don't, we fail.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, to speak my mind frankly, I never had any problem with Eskin trying to make money out of what he's doing. I don't care if he's making profits or not. What sounds wrong to me is have a couple of people being branded as "internet angels" when for some of these people, it's all about ego trips. I personnaly think, from what I've seen, that Eskin takes great pleasure in being praised and being perceived as a mentor. Would'nt we all? Even if I thought Eskin's level of playing would "deserve" such a mentor title, that would not change the fact that I'm one of those who think that talent should speak for itself and that Eskin's behaviour seems far than noble and humble to me.

I don't know how many times I've read about Eskin saying he was teaching what and where, who he was playing with and where, for dances he was playing at, etc. How much money he is making, and what he does in life. That's just the type of stuff you simply don't put on the net, unless for specific purpose of course.

Of course, many will disagree with that, but maybe it can help some people understand why a few of us would think that way. But maybe we're just a bunch of trolls, speaking evil stuff in an "Angel" thread? May the Lord forgive me... ;-)
koktach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by koktach »

You can tell all that stuff in the pub, but you must not put in on the holy net. And remember it is not eskin who named this thread "internet angels".
eskin

Post by eskin »

To get back to the original subject and author of the thread...

Mitch, you're welcome! Glad its been useful to you. Thanks for the donation to the site.

Michael
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Azalin wrote:... I don't know how many times I've read about Eskin saying he was teaching what and where, who he was playing with and where, for dances he was playing at, etc. How much money he is making, and what he does in life. That's just the type of stuff you simply don't put on the net, unless for specific purpose of course.
... you mean like answering a specific challenge to his motivation, qualifications and methods of sharing his knowledge, which he never stated or even implied as the ultimate resource?

I find it insulting and downright mean to take the fact that a few people have said, "Thanks! We appreciate what you do." as inspiration to start hacking at folks and implying that their willingness to share is outweighed by the fact that they sometimes get paid for that same information, recordings etc., or have ads on their site. There are ads on this site too, yet you seem to enjoy having the venue available.

Using judgment and passing judgement are not the same thing.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Very strange discussion, this. Most peculiar.

Carry on.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Azalin wrote:I personnaly think, from what I've seen, that Eskin takes great pleasure in being praised and being perceived as a mentor. Would'nt we all? Even if I thought Eskin's level of playing would "deserve" such a mentor title, that would not change the fact that I'm one of those who think that talent should speak for itself and that Eskin's behaviour seems far than noble and humble to me.
Eskin didn't even post to this thread until he had to defend himself against attacks on his name.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

When I first started posting here (about seven years ago under a different username) I never thought that this board would become such a hostile place. Michael is given the thumbs up by someone who appreciates his efforts, and then he is torn down and labelled as money grubbing and proud? Come on. When I was in grade school I knew kids who couldn't stand to see others get compliments. There was always something wrong to point out. Frankly, it seems like a growing number of discussions n the board degenerate into childish and mean arguments. After the whole amazon.com issue is resolved, I'm not sure I'll post here again. I'm tired of the rudeness.
Last edited by gallant_murray on Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'm starting a new thread in the pub on this, please join me there...
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I'm fairly new to this particular board but I'm a grizzled grognard of other BBS.

Damnitall if people aren't the same everywhere.

The distance of the internet seems to allow people to be right bastages where other wise they may be civil and even friendly face to face.

I'm seeing some inflated egos here (and Ive seen it since I found this place) and its not Mr. Eskin's.

Some of you seem to enjoy being bitter old cranks.

Its not becoming.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Not if you look at some of the underlying issues a lot of people have been talking about off screen but have so far graciously been kept silent by most of them. Az and Pkev have addressed a few issues they felt bugging them.

I have used up my monthly allowance of putting my foot in it on the piping forum so I am out of here. As far as I am concerned: Image
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:
Not if you look at some of the underlying issues a lot of people have been talking about off screen but have so far graciously been kept silent by most of them. Az and Pkev have addressed a few issues they felt bugging them.

I have used up my monthly allowance of putting my foot in it on the piping forum so I am out of here. As far as I am concerned: Image
The thing I find puzzling is, we've got so much in common, so many shared interests and passions -- it seems like there's tremendous potential for collaboration and mutual benefit. It just seems odd to see a conversation among people with so much to agree about, go the way this one went.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

anniemcu wrote: Using judgment and passing judgement are not the same thing.
I really like this quote Annie...I may add it to my sig on a couple boards I'm on ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wanderer wrote:
anniemcu wrote: Using judgment and passing judgement are not the same thing.
I really like this quote Annie...I may add it to my sig on a couple boards I'm on ;)
Feel free to ... it's kept my rear out of deeper than necessary trouble a few times. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com