Andrea Corr: what the heck is she doing?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

P.S.

My old imac doesn't mesh the sound of youtube with the visual, but it does appear that she might be playing in the key of A (again, speaking as if her Bb was a D whistle), which will give her the low note she played. Actually she did all this just to get our attention!
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

oops. double post.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Another double post. This stupid computer posts just by hitting the back button!
pao

yeaH, the whistle part of that live performance is playback!

Post by pao »

i have been a celine dion fan for like the past 11 years (and a corr fanatic as well) when i first saw that video, i said "wow", andrea's playing for celine. its been quite a while when i saw that and just watched that again last march, and i found out that the whistle part is playback together with the other musical pieces on that so called live performance. i think the only live performance there is the celine vocals and the drums. andrea's using a Bb, which is normal since celine always sings My heart will go on a note lower than the original, you can even check out other celince performances where a whistler is playing the gen Bb live (ex. Divas live 1998), but on that performance the original whistle was used (the Chieftain performance by Tony Hinigan) and flattened it - the original was A, and on that, it became Ab. I have played the whistle part of MHWGO a thousand times since it was released, and i'm more than 100% sure, andrea faked it. i still love andrea though.
落とされた天使
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

cavefish wrote:my pal :thumbsup:
Whatever floats your boat buddy... :boggle:
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Key_of_D wrote:
i guess you just have to be a jerk
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Key_of_D wrote:Obviously most of the people disussing that whistle on that youtube don't have much of a clue as to what they're talking about. It's not a low B or a low D, it's very much a Generation Bb in brass from what I can see. I'm going to pull out my very same Generation Bb brass whistle and play that tune for comparison - whether Andrea is actually playing in that movie or not.

As for it being a fake......... :really: Never heard of a fake Generation whistle... They're cheap enough already, how much "faker" could they be? If someone actually went through the effort to replicate a Generation whistle, they're sorely waisting their time when they could just spend 8 dollars! :)

-Eric
Obviously we are all just stupid and you have to enlighten US with your keen discernment and deductive reasoning abilities
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Okie dokie. If you say so. Have fun with those thoughts. :thumbsup:

Being a jerk or not, many, Many a time have people been significantly more then what you call a jerk, a jerk to me, but I had the self control to not say they were being one to me. Something to think about cavefish. Especially on a public thread. If you don't like me or what I have to say, let me know via PM, and we'll discuss things there.

Back to reality now...

Yeah, something's definitely up with that video. :)
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

being that you go to church i would have thought you would have had a little more humility in your arrogant assumption of OUR proposed CLUELESS reasoning factors-where was your self control then

Key_of_D wrote:
Obviously most of the people disussing that whistle on that youtube don't have much of a clue as to what they're talking about.
Last edited by cavefish on Thu May 10, 2007 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
pureshift

Post by pureshift »

While I don't believe she's actually playing there (mostly due to the mic placement), a particular make of whistle can sound very unlike itself after being amplified, EQ'd or given reverb. Usually, though, it's still easy to pick out some telling characteristic that gives things away.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Key_of_D wrote:
and then again when i salute a brother for sticking up for me -you bash me :poke: take the log out of your eye first before you point out my splinter
Last edited by cavefish on Thu May 10, 2007 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

pureshift wrote:While I don't believe she's actually playing there (mostly due to the mic placement), a particular make of whistle can sound very unlike itself after being amplified, EQ'd or given reverb. Usually, though, it's still easy to pick out some telling characteristic that gives things away.
i noticed her strikes were not even there at certain times
pureshift

Post by pureshift »

cavefish wrote:
pureshift wrote:While I don't believe she's actually playing there (mostly due to the mic placement), a particular make of whistle can sound very unlike itself after being amplified, EQ'd or given reverb. Usually, though, it's still easy to pick out some telling characteristic that gives things away.
i noticed her strikes were not even there at certain times
Youtube has a tendency to screw with syncing quite a bit. Without seeing the original uncompressed video, it's hard for me to tell whether or not she's off or the video is off.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

but yes reverb, echo and compression can do wonders--------i think the focus was on celine-so the stage was a set up for the crowd----realistically WE are the only ones who would be wondering about the whistler-watching her movements and what not
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Key_of_D wrote:And someone said that the first note Andrea played on that song was low Ab. To my knowledge, "low Ab" doesn't exist on a normal Generation Bb whistle. If my ears are any good... it sure sounded like the first note she played was Eb, or, with the same fingering on the more commonly used D whistle, would yield the note of G.
Didn't say "first note", did say "at the beginning". Just watch the clip again. It's right at the beginning at 00:29, and the Ab isn't audible very good, but it's there, for sure.