Spitting low whistles (Phil Hardy Chieftains)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Spitting low whistles (Phil Hardy Chieftains)

Post by seisflutes »

So I got this cool low whistle set for Christmas. It's the thing with one head and D, Eb and E bodies. I like them a lot, they're the first low whistles (besides my Burke low F) that I've really enjoyed playing. The Eb will be particularly useful.
This is a minor oddity, and I'm not desprate for a solution, but I thought I'd mention it.
When I hit a high note, like g and upwards, condensation spews from the window. This could be embarrassing in a public situation. I already have my grandmother laughing at me. On the bright side, I suppose it prevents moisture clogging.
I am primarily a flute and pipes player, but in my not inconsiderable experience of whistles this hasn't happened before. Do other low whistles do it? Do other Phil Hardy Chieftains? Can I build some sort of classy-looking spit guard?
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Obviously, your whistle is meant to be played next to the bodhran or accordion player... :D
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I was thinking along the same lines....there's one of those wretched bodhran bangers who's been coming to our session. :moreevil:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I play low Overtons, and that happens to me. So if it is coming out it is better than staying in the windway.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

my arm is bent double!!!!!!!

OK OK OK !!!!!!!!!! (already)

I'll spill :(

the secret is:

Turn the head to your body (120% for the methematicians among us) - all the drool drips out and stops puddling over the labium. The volume is not much affected and it sounds sweeter to a dynamic microphone.

Damn - I hate waiting for folks to find this out for themselves!

There ya go :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Yes, my Chieftain low D was a launcher too. When it got warmed up well enough it kept to itself though.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Mitch wrote:AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

my arm is bent double!!!!!!!

Turn the head to your body (120% for the methematicians among us) - all the drool drips out and stops puddling over the labium.
Well, no wonder your arm is bent double.

If you turn your head that much, you probably have to put your hands behind you to hold the whistle.

It will make a lot of Chiropractors happy too.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

It happens to my Kerry songbird too,but as stated it's better in than out :lol:
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

You could be a contortionist like Mitch. Or you could give it the soap treatment. (Then if something comes out it'll be pretty bubbles.)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Wombat wrote:You could be a contortionist like Mitch. Or you could give it the soap treatment. (Then if something comes out it'll be pretty bubbles.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Tommy I just about turn green with envy whenever you mention those Overtons of yours. I want your Overtons and you want my door, fair trade I'd say.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

King Friday wrote:Tommy I just about turn green with envy whenever you mention those Overtons of yours. I want your Overtons and you want my door, fair trade I'd say.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...catching breath.. :lol: :lol: thats a good one KF
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086