Silver Copeland D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Re: Silver Copeland D?

Post by jim stone »

Mikepaul wrote:In my continual search for that one better whistle, I am considering Copeland's silver D. It would be quite an investment so I'm looking for any feedback I can get. Purity of tone is most important to me. I don't like chiff or air. Responsiveness is a close second. I am fairly content with my Burke D Aluminum, but thinking that the slightly thicker siver wall will improve tone more than the Copeland Nickel would, and not be quite as heavy as the Copeland Brass or take as long to warm up. Anyone have or tried one? Thanks all.

Mike
Just wanted to be sure I was addressing your concerns.
As Jennie was saying, this has the flutey sound of copelands,
the conical bore does it's thing. You might wish to check
the copeland sound if you haven't already. May not
be what you want. Above all the whistle is powerful
and beautiful sounding, but it's its own thing. I don't
think it's terribly high on the 'purity' scale.

Jon Sindt is making silver whistles with delrin heads, he
has told me. In fact I have one. That's pure, alrighty,
and responsive.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

jim stone wrote:'I have a silver copeland D that I bought here, in fact.
I guess it's a great whistle--I just played it in an acoustic
jam, not ITM, much, but everything else. The thing is
wonderful. What a sound! But it's a beast--it can be shrill at the top
of the second octave, it squawks if I overblow, must
be careful. It's the real thing, warts and all,
lovely.'
When I play mine in a session, someone will always come and tell me it's an amazing sound. The lower octave is to die for. The upper, at least the upper part of the upper, only happens if I'm really "on."

'Course, I only play the silver Copeland in a session if I'm having an amazing evening. If I'm trying to blend in, or if my fingers are too cold and fumbly, I play my Burke or Sindt.

The people who have told me they like this whistle are ITM diehards, usually. Folks who prefer the others are those I live and play in close range with, i.e. family members and music partners. It is not an all-occasion instrument. But when the occasion presents itself, I love it.

Jennie
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Loren wrote:
Jennie wrote:Come visit and you can try it!
Well if I'd known when I was there, I would have :x

Just kidding, I doubt you had it when I visited AK...... 5 years or so ago.

Loren
P.S. You're right, I've only had it for a couple of years. I didn't really know real ITM from the sheet music until I joined C&F (check the date). But if there's anyone coming through town who plays Irish and doesn't come find me, I'll be extremely disappointed! :(

You'd still have another great week of salmon fishing if you came now.

:) Jennie
Mikepaul

Post by Mikepaul »

Great responses, all. Much thanks.
Doc Jones - You're a toot! And yes, the cost may well lead to suspenders.
Wanderer - Sounds like you were self employed as a computer consultant. I hope things have improved for you since 2000.
Jennie - Getting closer to feedback. Thanks. Any chiff to me is nearly anathema. I love the sound of tone or notes without the audible sound of air or rasp. I guess I'm rather in search of the chiffless whistle. I expect the weight and feel of silver to be better than the brass. Thanks for the invitation to visit. Unfortunately, it would be cheaper just to buy one.
Jim McGuire - I agree that the great thing about most whistle makers is that they listen and work with you, but it's not possible that the material is immaterial since it is the instrument itself. If that were true, you should be able to get a nice tone out of cardboard.
dfernandez77 - I've tried a poorly voiced brass Copeland and I've heard that nickel can be a little shrill, although silver may be also. As far as wood whisles go, I've tried Abell and Fred Rose and decided that wood is just not for me. In general, they both had a fair amount of chiff, and were not really consistent in tone over their range. But both were undeniable beauties to behold.
Jim Stone - It's probably the shrillness in the upper register I'm most concerned about.

Thanks again, all, I may do it anyway.

Mike.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

I'm all ears. Who's making whistles with cardboard?
Mikepaul

Post by Mikepaul »

Jim Stone - Thank you! I have a Sindt Brass that is pretty okay. but I can imagine a Sindt silver being purer in tone. One concern I have is volume. The Sindt brass is a pretty quiet whistle. How is yours?
Mikepaul

Post by Mikepaul »

Jim McGuire - I think no one makes whistles out of cardboard because the material is extremely relevant to the tone.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

My Sindt brass whistles played exactly the same as my Sindt silver one.

Jennie got the older silver Copeland from me.

I have liked particular brass and nickel Copelands better than any silver one I have played.

If any lack of purity is off-putting to you, a Copeland is too big a risk for you.
~JessieD
Mikepaul

Post by Mikepaul »

Jessie - Do you consider you Sindt brass or silver whistles fairly quiet? My brass Sindt is a little too quiet for me.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Mikepaul wrote:Jim McGuire - I think no one makes whistles out of cardboard because the material is extremely relevant to the tone.
All evidence says it is not but good luck in your internet search for the right sound.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Mikepaul wrote:Jim Stone - Thank you! I have a Sindt Brass that is pretty okay. but I can imagine a Sindt silver being purer in tone. One concern I have is volume. The Sindt brass is a pretty quiet whistle. How is yours?
Received this the other day from Jon.

Hi Jim,A new whistle with a silver tube would be $130.l....Standard D whistle is $95 and i'm about 6 months behind on delivery....The volume is the same,the tone of the silver is a little softer.Cheers,John

I don't have a Standard Sindt. I played the silver Thurs night
in a large acoustic jam in a big room--not your usual session
situation. It wasn't quite loud enough. The silver copeland
rocked.

As to the top of the copeland D, one strategy is to staccato (sp?)
the top notes. This is the sort of beastie you get if you are prepared
to adapt to it--learn how to play it on its terms, it isn't going
to adapt to you.
preacher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Whistles from cardboard? Interesting - is that the mystery material that Mack Hoover is planning to use for his new whistles? Stay tuned as the drama grows.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

jim stone wrote:As to the top of the copeland D, one strategy is to staccato (sp?) the top notes. This is the sort of beastie you get if you are prepared to adapt to it--learn how to play it on its terms, it isn't going
to adapt to you.
Do you mean pop 'em out with a tongue articulation?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Mikepaul, yes, Sindts are not loud whistles. But neither are Burkes.

Are you looking for a loud whistle with a solid, pure tone? If so, options include:

Sweet pro d whistle (wood or laminated Dymondwood)
O'Riordan concert (wood) whistle
Greenwood (Boisvert, wood)
Swayne (wood)
Silkstone (aluminum)
Thin Weasel (wood)
Seery (delrin, VERY loud)

Good luck.
~JessieD
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

JessieK wrote:Are you looking for a loud whistle with a solid, pure tone? If so, options include:
And Reyburns
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.