Retitled Loftus Jones--descending run

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Retitled Loftus Jones--descending run

Post by Jon-M »

I've been learning O'Carolan's Loftus Jones on an A whistle and am having difficulty with the fast descending run in the B part. It goes like this:
d'dd'd c'dc'd|bdbd adad

Anyone have any tips on how to get this to be quick but precise? Fingering's not a problem but rather how to control the sound on the large interval jumps.
Thanks for any help.
JM
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

O'Carolan does this to us sometimes. I cheat on stuff like this. I drop out some notes. Maybe some day I'll be good enough to include them again.
Short bio: 1952-
ThorntonRose
antispam: No

Post by ThorntonRose »

Try tongueing the octave jumps (or even more). Some people would not consider that "traditional", but given that the original music was composed for harp, each note would have had some articulation. Also, listen to Joanie Madden on "Song of the Irish Whistle". She does a great version of Loftus Jones.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Most of the time I suggest that stuff like this is a player issue but sometimes with jumps like this, the right whistle can do amazing things for you.

I tried a Silkstone D+ this past winter and was floored by the agility and consistency of the whistle. Very even, very predictable.

good luck!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Thanks for the replies so far. Out of curiosity, I tried it out on my D+ Silkstone and, lot and behold! It was much easier to play. Sadly, the tune is in A and my Overton A is not nearly as responsive.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Go ahead and play it in D (same fingerings as on an A whistle, but on a D whistle). People do that all the time with Carolan tunes. I never played Hewlett in A till I got a Baroque flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Yes, I could do that, but I have to say, I haven't found the whistle yet where that third octave D (prominent in the tune) isn't a screecher.