A Susato Mystery

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Susato Mystery

Post by Jon-M »

A long time ago I got a Susato D/C set, one head, two barrels. As a C whistle, it plays beautifully and sounds great. I feel no need, or temptation even, to get another C whistle. But as a D whistle, it has a raspy sound that sucks. So the difference must be in the barrels, right? Any thoughts or explanations?
regor

Post by regor »

Air leak perhaps? I'd try taping the joint with electrician tape to see if that makes a difference.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I don't think electrician tape would be my first line of action. Those whistles should have come with a tube of joint grease. If you haven't lost it or tossed it, slather some on the joint. While you have it apart, check the o-ring. If it's broken or missing, that would affect your seal, too.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A Susato Mystery

Post by Bloomfield »

Jon-M wrote:A long time ago I got a Susato D/C set, one head, two barrels. As a C whistle, it plays beautifully and sounds great. I feel no need, or temptation even, to get another C whistle. But as a D whistle, it has a raspy sound that sucks. So the difference must be in the barrels, right? Any thoughts or explanations?
There is an optimal ratio of diameter to bore length. The Susato C is closer to it than the SB D.
/Bloomfield
jaime!

Re: A Susato Mystery

Post by jaime! »

Bloomfield wrote:
Jon-M wrote:A long time ago I got a Susato D/C set, one head, two barrels. As a C whistle, it plays beautifully and sounds great. I feel no need, or temptation even, to get another C whistle. But as a D whistle, it has a raspy sound that sucks. So the difference must be in the barrels, right? Any thoughts or explanations?
There is an optimal ratio of diameter to bore length. The Susato C is closer to it than the SB D.
even still, a normal susato D shouldn't sound like raspy poo.