Honkin' the High Ones

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Honkin' the High Ones

Post by crookedtune »

After many years of playing cheapies, I succumbed to a double tempation: bought a Sweetheart Pro D, and a week later, a set of Syn's.

I love them both, and can't see myself spending much time with the flaky Gens and Waltons I came up on. I also have a Susato that has all of the pros and cons that have been debated here before. Nice, but not my thing, really.

The Sweetheart and Syn are two very different whistles, and I love them both. However, while the Sweetheart plays effortlessly, I'm having trouble getting some of the high second octave notes out of the Syn, (particularly the high A and B). Unless I really push, it lets out honk that is really obtrusive and comical. This happens with both the C and D bodies. I'm nervous about trying to play out with this.

This is probably still me adjusting to the whistle, but it seems almost random, and even when I feel like I'm pushing, I'll sometimes get a 'honk'. I'm NEVER getting this from the Sweetheart, and really not from the cheapies or Susato.

Is this just me needing to adjust my style, or should I be concerned about the whistle? :-?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The guy I'm going to as a flute teacher is actually a sax player. We're
doing a whistle duet at a recital, and he was trying it on a Feadog,
which sounded awful against my O'Brien. So, I let him try my Syn.
The first time through the piece, he got this bright look on his face,
and said, "Man, I LOVE this one!" So, yeah, some Syns have a LOT
of backpressure, and reed players love 'em. If you're used to the
cheaper whistles, it takes some getting used to.
CapnDistracto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CapnDistracto »

I really like the Syns and I've been having internal financial struggles over the sweetheart since last fall. But something I'll note is that I had read certain people talking about how they love their old feadog/walton/cheetos even more after playing something higher end. When I read this, I thought, "they must be crazy." But after playing my Syns and a Burke DBSBT that a friend loaned to me for a few weeks I went back to that 5 year old, mottled feadog that I couldn't wait to get rid of. Picked it up, started blowing, and realized I had forgotten what a lovely, traditional sound it had. So while I love my Syns and enjoyed the Burke, don't be so quick to throw your "cheapies" in the time out corner. :lol:

Also I agree with the above statement regarding reed players. My syns have a good deal of backpressure, possibly due to a misshapen windway. I played the clarinet for 9 years before going off to college with nothing but that old feadog, and found the backpressure to be comfortable and reminiscent of the reed days. Now I just need to fight the reflex to tongue stocatto notes, rather than leave the ornamentation to the fingers.

Next paycheck may see me calling the Sweets to see if I can drop by the shop, as they're only 30-40 minutes away. :)
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I second the Capn -I hadn't touched any "cheapies" for quite some time and the other night I picked up my Gen Nickel and it sounded really nice. Don't get rid of them so quickly!
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Gotta agree about the Syn - If you're not agressive in the high end then it'll drop the octave or go into a harmonic. In fact - I've noticed that if I kick-off tentative then the whole thing is flat. There's a bit of a clog-barrier you get through as it warms up, and adjusting the attack before then is a mistake :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Thanks, all. I spent a couple of hours with the Syn last night, and I feel better that I just needed to grow into it. This is the first whistle I've played with significant back-pressure. If I'm pretty deliberate and focused, I have no trouble with the octave drops and honking. It's just a whole different thing, and I'm really enjoying how it plays.

Also, I didn't mean to overstate my movement away from the cheapies. They're great in their own ways, and there will always be a place for them. But I do wish I had tried better whistles WAY earlier than I did!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Bill T.

Post by Bill T. »

Having just received my D/C set of Syns I can identify with the frustration about "honking." My previous whistles include Dixons, Susatos, along with Sweetones, Faedogs, and others. My first impression was "Wow!" this is different! Also, is something wrong here? However, after spending some time with the Syn I realize that I'm just not used to the back pressure. Things are improving markedly. Also my C body is extremely tight. In fact I almost got it stuck and couldn't get it out... did finally. Whew! I'm hoping it will loosen with use. Having said all that, I am delighted with my Syn. (What a play on words...never thought I would say that!) It's a beautiful whistle with a great sound.... once you get used to it. -Ole Bill
Animation

Post by Animation »

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just checked the FAQ and searched it for "pressure" and didnt find what I was looking for.

What is "back pressure" when dealing with flutes?

Thanks,

Lewis
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Animation wrote:Sorry for the newbie question, but I just checked the FAQ and searched it for "pressure" and didnt find what I was looking for.
There's a FAQ?! I didn't know that. If so, backpressure should
definitely be on there. It's a very common question...

Animation wrote:What is "back pressure" when dealing with flutes?
We're talking about whistles here, not flutes as in the side-blown
Irish flute (just to make sure we're clear).

Here is a thread on the subject.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

There is a whole thread defining back pressure. Try doing a message board search.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

gallant_murray wrote:There is a whole thread defining back pressure. Try doing a message board search.
Or, you know, click on the handy link in my previous post...