DIXON TOUR: USA STARTED/EURO TO BEGIN

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

Hi Peter,

Tony has the list. He's apparently busy, as I've been awaiting a reply for a while myself.

One thing about Tony...he might take a bit, but he usually comes through.

Sit tight.

Mike
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Black Mage »

I just sent the whistle off this morning. Jim of Texas, you're up next!
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

OK, i'll tie a knot on my self.

Peter
Jim Wright

Dixon tour

Post by Jim Wright »

Whistle arrived today be careful of knots .. some are hard to untie! :boggle:

Jim
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Mmmmfpfht :o

Showoff :P
Jim Wright

Dixon whistle

Post by Jim Wright »

Whistle was mailed to Tom Landry in WA today.

jim
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Oh boy :) I`ve never played one of Tonys` whistles, though I have two of his flutes, one in rosewood and his 3 piece poly flute, both very good instruments. I`m looking forward to checking out this whistle. What did you think about it Jim?

Take care

Tom
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thanks Jim, got it today.

Take care

Tom
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Just got the whistle yesterday. I'll let you know what I think after I've had a few 30 second stoplight sessions with her! :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Well, I had the whistle for a week, showed it to Paul Busman last Saturday and sent it on to its next stop in the Carolinas on Monday (10 Apr) - it should be at its next stop by now. Please respond to this thread so that I know it got to you OK - my wife took care of shipping it out for me and she wasn't sure that she taped the label on securely.

I found the whistle aesthetically pleasing and well put-together. I found the shorter beak of the whistle took some getting used to, as well as the different fingering for C nat; (OXO OOO) instead of (OXX OOO) as on my MellowDog.

I found that I was able to produce a vibrato note much easier on this whistle than on my MellowDog, which gave my play a richer and sometimes more melancholy tone. It was easy to play - back pressure slightly more than the MellowDog, but less liable to squak in the upper register. The only thing I didn't like about this particular whistle was the buzz (Paul called it a "fuzzy" sound) in the lower register. I'm sure that better whistlers would use that to their advantage, but I found it mildly annoying.

In the hands of someone more accomplished, I'm sure that this whistle would really shine. Personally, I felt that it was not quite what I'm looking for in a whistle.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
swizzlestick

Whistle on the move

Post by swizzlestick »

Just wanted to post that the whistle got to me and will be shipped out tomorrow or the next day to Sheboygan.

Can't keep the whistle for the entire week and have not been able to spend much time with it. (Too bad it didn't arrive a week ago.)

Still, I like a lot of things about this whistle. Great look and design. This whistle breaks down into two almost equal pieces to make a compact bundle that's easy to carry in an oversize pocket or a zipper pocket on a backpack. Mouthpiece seems a little narrow, but I think I could get used to it.

This is my first chance to try any Dixon, so I didn't know what to expect sound wise. The bell note is loud and focused compared to most other D whistles I have tried. I noticed some space under the windway and -- since I fill this space on Generations with good results -- I wonder what a little blue tack would do. But this is a tour whistle, so I didn't try it. Anyone ever do this?

The upper and lower octaves are surprisingly well balanced in volume and I think they would be well in tune if I had enough time to really learn what the whistle needs. You need a good solid push to pop into the second octave -- a good thing because you can vary the volume a lot in the lower notes. I was able to play reasonably quiet in my car and crank it up a bit when I was outside. I would never call it a loud whistle, but I think it would do well in all but the noisiest environments.

I often have condensation problems with whistles, but I didn't have any issues in the first two typical days of our normally very dry Colorado climate. But yesterday's rain raised the humidity and created a lot of condensation in the windway. It never cut out, but it did develop a buzz that I could not completely remove even when I blew the whistle out.

I recently added a very nice D whistle to my collection, so I am not looking for any new acquisitions at the moment, but I think most people would find this Dixon to be a great value.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I just sent out the other US tour Whistle to a McCoy in Cali. I don't remember the first name. So be on the look out.

I have to agree with Swizzelstick on my impressions, in fact he said them so well that I only have a couple things left to say. The tone is on the brighter side. Pretty pure and sweet, smewhat reminiscent of a Burke DASBT. I was very surprised by the amount of chiff this Whistle had. Not quite Gen level, but for a Dixon I did not expect this much.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I'm also interested in a European tour if one takes place. I love my Dixon aluminium (Aluminum as you call it in the States) but often reach for my Susato because of its stronger lower octave. I'd love to have a Dixon that could cut it with ohter instruments.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
ThorntonRose

Whistle received

Post by ThorntonRose »

I just thought that I would post to let those on the tour know that the whistle is once again safely in human hands. I picked it up from my PO box today. It took 10 days to get from Copenhagen, NY, to Vancouver, BC, on or about 24-Sep, then sat in my PO box for about 2 weeks. I'm sorry about that, but I have been busy helping my wife with our new baby (boy, 8 lb. 7 oz., 20.5 in.), who was born on 27-Sep, and have not been able to get out to the PO box, which is near my office, until this week. I will miminize my trial of the whistle and get it on its way to the next person soon.
Frederik Meesters

Post by Frederik Meesters »

Is there still a European tour going on? I like to sign in if yes! :) :)