A beautiful song for the wedding?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gunslinger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A beautiful song for the wedding?

Post by Gunslinger »

Terve, everybody!

I'm looking for a song to play in a wedding. There are a few opportunities, where this performance can take place: one option is in the church as a part of the ceremony and for that purpose and those acoustics the whistle (or a low whistle) is an ideal instrument. The other option is to perform in the place where the party is held and for that purpose low whistle is not that suitable. Anyways, any suggestions of possible songs are welcome. Remember, I'm representing the whole whistle community there and hopefully introducing the instrument to new potential players, so the song better be good! Please be active! ;)

The suggestions should contain a link to audio files, since though I can read the notes, I prefer learning by ear, that saves my time and it is a preferable way to do it, because I'm going to play it w/out sheet music.

In addition I could say that I'l propably be playing the waltz for the newlyweds to dance with the fiddle, which I think is "the horse for the course". And the wedding will take place in Finland.

I just wonder what reactions the low whistle will get since I only have couple of self-made hot-water-pipe-lows: the sound is great, but the looks, well… Of cource I could try to spry paint one, maybe black will do. I also have a can of metallic blue paint, how does that sound?

Br, Heikki Petäjistö
ned o the hill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Wedding Tunes

Post by ned o the hill »

Start here: The Session.org tune search http://www.thesession.org/tunes/index/s ... =&mode_id=

Mostly dots here (I've never been able to find the MIDIs), but then you can Google on a particular title and find MIDIs or other sound files elsewhere.

Personal recommendations:
Haste to the Wedding (jig)
Mairi's Wedding (song)
My Home (Scots slow march/waltz; played by pipers at my wedding 32 years ago)
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
fearfaoin

Re: A beautiful song for the wedding?

Post by fearfaoin »

Gunslinger wrote:I just wonder what reactions the low whistle will get since I only have couple of self-made hot-water-pipe-lows: the sound is great, but the looks, well… Of cource I could try to spry paint one, maybe black will do. I also have a can of metallic blue paint, how does that sound?
Plastic does not hold paint very well. See if you can find something
called "Vinyl dye", often sold in car part stores (do they have those
in Finland?) Here's a place to buy black Vinyl Dye online.

I think the waltz version of Star of the County Down is a pretty tune.
Ostekjeks

Re: Wedding Tunes

Post by Ostekjeks »

ned o the hill wrote:Mostly dots here (I've never been able to find the MIDIs), but then you can Google on a particular title and find MIDIs or other sound files elsewhere.
Thesession.org provide MIDI-files as well, just press "Download". I don't know whether you have to be a member or not, but why not just sign up and have your own tunebook?
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Ann Mcguire's Silver wedding is another fantastic waltz ..written by John McCusker (i believe)
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=10#
Kate Rusby union chape; #1

http://thesession.org/tunes/display/2544
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

My wife and I played "Planxty Hewlett" for my sister's wedding (on low D whistle and fiddle / piano). We grabbed a version off the net somewhere and then modified it to match the notes in my wife's head. Not sure where she learned it from.

The first waltz the band played for us at our wedding reception was "Josefin's (Baptismal) Waltz" by Roger Tallroth, though we would have preferred "Sourgrass and Granite" by Brian Pickell, if the band had known it. (And BTW, my avatar picture is me playing in the wild session later at that evening.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

When Seán Ó Riada played for his friend
Paddy Moloney's wedding he ignored the
traditional arranged pieces and played
"Cailiní an Fhactory" or Cailiní an Monarcha"
(The factory girls). It is a haunting winsome
melody.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

"Bridget O'Malley" is one of my favorites and would be great for a wedding (in my opinion). Unfortunately, I have no way to post a copy of it for you, unless I play it myself and upload it to "Clips & Snips". If I did that, you surely wouldn't use it! :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I recommend any of the Planxty tunes. Also, the Carolan's are great too. I'm getting married this Saturday and I'll be playing Carolan's Concerto.
Fitzgerald

Post by Fitzgerald »

straycat82 wrote:I'm getting married this Saturday and I'll be playing Carolan's Concerto.
Congrats on entering into Holy Matrimony this weekend and good luck (or break a leg) with Carolan's Concerto - nice touch!! :)
Marc
_____
leigheas na póite a hól arís
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I Buried My Wife and Danced On Her Grave.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

vomitbunny wrote:I Buried My Wife and Danced On Her Grave.
You the man, VB!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

regarding the look of the whistle. please don't try to hide the whistle, revel in it's glory. i suggest just cleaning it up really good, maybe waxing the whistle. most folks will think you pulled out your special white whistle for a wedding, the handymen in attendance will wonder and/or know and enjoy the ceremony even more. if you really got to do something, add a ribbon or tiny flower to the bottom of the whistle to match the wedding party. there is nothing like knowing that plumbing pipe is what brought the ambience to a hoity-toity wedding.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

mairi's wedding played slow and strong is fantastic for the entrance of the bride, many is the time our audience has clapped in time to welcome the lady of the moment....very gratifying,
we play a song called the irish wedding song, for the bridal waltz, it has the most appropriate lyrics, and the tune itself is lovely,
and for interest sake there are lyrics to haste to the wedding, that are just so fine and the tune is uplifting,
as for the wedding cermony itself...well take your pick, there are so many lovely tunes, o'carolan rocks, fanny power (poer) would be one of my picks followed by planxty irwin and shee beg shee more, the three tunes are made for each other in any order,
hope this helps
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Digger

Post by Digger »

Garech's Wedding, written by Paddy Moloney I believe, is a lovely tune.

Rand